Rough road toy hauler build, My rally support trailer.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Hello all,

I am starting this thread because I have ordered my VRV toyhauler trailer from Livin' Lite RV. They will be custom building it over the next few weeks.

Here is the basics of what I am getting:

All extruded aluminum cargo trailer, 6X14 feet.
I decided against the V-nose in favor of their Maxx front. It is like a sideways V, or a wedge (pictures to follow)

Their "off road" package" This is 17" wheels, all terrain tires, and an upgrade to a longer travel Dexter torsion axle.

Queen sized tip out bed

A/C unit o the roof with heat, and plumbed for LP gas for BBQ hook up and to use an additional heater.

Aluminum cabinets through out

E track in as many places as we can put it.

This will have a pump type sink, small water tank, and private porta pottie/ changing room.

My purpose is to have a trailer that is capable of being towed on rough dirt and gravel roads, can be comfortable for 7 to 10 days out, and is still comfortable / private at KOA's and race tracks (AC and privacy are hard to find at a race track without an RV)

The total weight before I pile my crap in it will be about 1800 pounds. Pretty light and towable with my 2008 Rubicon Unlimited, even before it gets a Hemi.

Since my wife and I will be unemployed after June 1rst, we are going to travel around a bit and see what our options are. (in other words, F' around for 90 days or so) I need more than the typical expedition trailer has to offer, but do not want to be limited to pavement. I was going to lift a Casita type trailer but then I couldn't take my bike, and what would be the point of time off with out at least one motorcycle? (taking my Supermoto bike, and maybe my enduro)

I will post some of the factory pictures next. Nothing of my specific trailer yet, but you will get the idea.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Factory Pictures of trailers from VRV and Livin' Lite

24689_1339282656542_1665445304_834618_350446_n.jpg

24689_1339282696543_1665445304_834619_1204602_n.jpg

24689_1339282736544_1665445304_834620_2384545_n.jpg

Above are photos of the standard 6x14 with a tilt out bed. My front end will be this style:

18566_492197115435_215695740435_11259381_6420302_n.jpg

This company make a trailer that will be sold at Jeep dealers this year:

23480_10150158185175436_215695740435_11867277_1732698_n.jpg

I am waiting to see if they can color match it to my Jeep Rubicon bright silver, I am not sure about the powder coated diamond plate though. Black looks good, but the constant gravel spray may tear it up.

Last edited:

dport

Adventurer
Sounds like you're going to have a good and simple set up. That company does appeal to me with the all aluminum construction, since I prefer to have a smaller rig. Can't wait to see your final set up.

DesertJK

Adventurer
More about my new trailer.

I have a few details to work out with them before they start building it. The over all width is 7 feet 6 inches. That is a little narrower than my current CargoMate trailer, but still too wide for two track in the desert. I want them to see if they can make the track about the same as the Jeep, or at least the same as it will be with a more offset wheel on the Jeep. The wheels I am going to get will have about 1.5' more backspacing. I am not going to change the tire size much, and not until I get the Hemi installed. I am talking to their engineer Monday as to what can be done.
I am also having them install cabinets along the top of the right side that can hold helmets with a rod under them for gear to hang.

I will need to add a generator, solar panels, and my own cooking stuff to it. I didn't want a built in stove or too integrated of a water system. I all ready have stuff for tent camping that will work just fine.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good way to go. Going to a narrower track is the stability going to be compromised? Most of the narrow track stuff I see has been a RTT or Pop-up. The weight and profile is lower. The taller structure might be a handful in the wind.

I like the look of it and the idea. Is it a local builder? I see you are also in Oregon.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Yeah, especially with the taller tires. It is only 7' 6" anyways, and the Jeep will be 3" wider when I change wheels and tires. I think I will stick with the standard track. I will end up towing this 80% of the time on pavement and graded roads anyways.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I am sure you can find ways to negotiate some of the rougher stuff. If it gets "dicey" drop it as a base camp and explore from there.
I look forward to seeing more. Maybe even get a chance to see the finished trailer if our paths cross. Keep us informed.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I am sure you can find ways to negotiate some of the rougher stuff.

I am putting a rear recovery bumper and rear winch the Jeep. I want to build a flip down 3rd wheel with a steering yoke, like nose gear on a small twin engine aircraft with the tow bar attached. If I get the trailer bogged down, I can get the Jeep to safety and winch the trailer out. It will also be handy for hitching it because I will put the fairlead directly above the hitch.
The height is limiting in the forest, I will need to fix up some limb deflectors.

stonehenge

Observer
is it going to be a dual axle? will it be as low as in the pics or is it going to be lifted? looking forward to following this.

DesertJK

Adventurer
is it going to be a dual axle? will it be as low as in the pics or is it going to be lifted? looking forward to following this.

Yes, it will be dual axle and 3" or so taller than the one pictured. The tire size will be about 31". Approach and departure angle is not that important on this trailer. I can unhitch the Jeep or unload my bike and explore. Plus, I really need to do more hiking this summer, I am out of shape.

stonehenge

Observer
yeah, i'm looking forward to doing more outdoor stuff too. i packed on some weight this winter and need to burn it off.

keep the pics coming i'm curious to see what you come up with. if you make it down to SoCal i have 2.5 acres to park and then go off to explore.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I will actually be in SoCal on Wednesday, home on Friday or Saturday, but I have motorcycle business to tend to. I wanted to pick your brain about suspension a bit. What do you think of OME heavy springs with air bags in the back, and later adding some Fox or Elka shocks? I don't want or need more than 2 or so inches of lift, but the JK sags down a lot with a few weeks worth of gear packed in it.
I will stop by in your place eventually, I may be working in Chino for a while, either that or Newport Beach.

stonehenge

Observer
I will actually be in SoCal on Wednesday, home on Friday or Saturday, but I have motorcycle business to tend to. I wanted to pick your brain about suspension a bit. What do you think of OME heavy springs with air bags in the back, and later adding some Fox or Elka shocks? I don't want or need more than 2 or so inches of lift, but the JK sags down a lot with a few weeks worth of gear packed in it.
I will stop by in your place eventually, I may be working in Chino for a while, either that or Newport Beach.

The OME's are great but you'll have to step up to a top shelf shock like the Fox RR to control not only the added compression but rebound when the JK starts to "porpoise" on the highway. feel free to give a call or stop by and i'll let you drive mine and you'll see.

DesertJK

Adventurer
The OME's are great but you'll have to step up to a top shelf shock like the Fox RR to control not only the added compression but rebound when the JK starts to "porpoise" on the highway. feel free to give a call or stop by and i'll let you drive mine and you'll see.

It porpoises now over whoops really bad. I have scared my self a few times going through a unexpected wash, or 2 foot deep whoops that come up too quick when doing 70. I won't be pushing it that hard with the trailer, but I am trying to build a multipurpose rig, and going fast is one of those purposes.

You have a 6.1 in yours don't you? I have read it is lighter than the 5.7? I am wondering if the new AEV kit for manual trans will work with a 6.1?

stonehenge

Observer
It porpoises now over whoops really bad. I have scared my self a few times going through a unexpected wash, or 2 foot deep whoops that come up too quick when doing 70. I won't be pushing it that hard with the trailer, but I am trying to build a multipurpose rig, and going fast is one of those purposes.

You have a 6.1 in yours don't you? I have read it is lighter than the 5.7? I am wondering if the new AEV kit for manual trans will work with a 6.1?

I have a 5.7 with 6.1 heads, cams and injectors. i got the best of both worlds from Dan at BOR.

I think you would probably benefit most from the adjustable Fox's and they arent that much more this way you could dial in your rear and front separately depending on the load your carrying (or not carrying)

BTW, what kind of MC stuff? I have a love affair with MC's too :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles