favorite food combinations from countries you have traveled to ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
in my travels I have come across things that are great combos I now replicate all the time

their are things I ate that are easily replicated so this is what I hope this thread is about the general combinations that you love and are easy to replicate
I cant replicate things like some of the best quiche ever in Guat and eating Iguana in Honduras in Rome the best gelato ever so wanted to keep it to easy to recreate combinations :) hope that makes sense

my favorite street vendor food in Honduras was corn on the cob with lime juice and sprinkled in chili powder mix

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
We were on vacation in Glacier Park a few years ago and decided to bump up into Canada just for fun (before pass ports were required for crossing the border) and we went to Cardston AB. There was a little Chinese restaurant down town and it was funny because they had "western" food, chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.

93BLAZER

Explorer
While in Colombia, I enjoyed the chorizo sausage with potatoes grilled on the street corner and served in a small paper bag. I also enjoyed the fresh potato chips served by a street vendor. All for under a dollar.

lindy

Observer
While in Georgetown Guyana in 1992 we ate mango slices with hot sauce religiously with Banks beer of course.

KevX02

Observer
In El Salvador it was pupusas, corn meal type dough filled with pork or beans or cheese or a combination and flattened, grilled up like pancake topped with a pickled cabbage type coleslaw and hot sauce, served with cevada (sweetened oatmeal milk, Pepto-Bismol pink) in a plastic bag.

In Honduras we ate a lot of mango with chili sauce/ and a fried banana bread type dish. and they love their barbeque, chicken, flank steak, ribs, and chorizo.

St. Thomas is where I had conch fritters for the first time. and a little drink called a saloontastic I think, it was orange slice in the bottom of a two bulbed shot glass and jager on top.

Belize was best for breakfast, roasted potatoes that had some kind of curry flavour, and red bell peppers, avocado, beans and fresh tortillas and a plethora of fresh fruit.

In Germany I was in a very small town and a Greek immigrant ran a small restaurant, he served authentic Greek food, my favorite (I went back several times) was a meatloaf type patty, flavoured with lemon basil and ouzo, I imagine it was a beef lamb mix, so good.

All of these dishes have influenced my day to day cooking.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Our Visit to Chile

189352_194831727216501_131390996893908_534910_155594_n.jpg

As we traveled through Chile, we tried to capture the specialty foods each area had to offer. We loved every dish we tried, although we did have some clear favorites by the end of the trip. Below are some of the dishes that stood out during our travels. We hope you enjoy.

Empanadas

197826_196285893737751_131390996893908_542472_3745606_n.jpg

Nothing represents Chilean food to the traveler like empanadas! Small roadside stands selling these calorie packed meals are abundant and easily found. We found empanadas filled with beef, cheese, vegetables, and or or seafood. The beef filling consisted of ground beef, sautéed onions, raisins, black olives, and 1/4 of a hard boiled egg. The seafood filled empanadas we had consisted of locally made queso (cheese) and shrimp, although crab and mussel empanadas were also available. The outside of the empanadas varied region to region; some were made from a basic pizza dough while others were made of a savory pastry dough. Our favorite empanadas during the trip were queso and shrimp in a pastry shell.

a lo Pobre

189657_1473047044534_1784404091_860331_5840829_n.jpg

Lomo a lo Pobre​

Loosely translated as 'For The Poor' in English, a lo Pobre is a popular side to most Chilean dishes. Perhaps part of the allure of the dish is its simplicity in preparation. A lo Pobre is made by frying two eggs over easy, placing them on a bed of french fries, and serving as an accompaniment to favorite main dish. I cannot see how you can get any better than this!

You can check out a list of other memorable meals from the trip on our website www.theoverlandgourmet.com or by clicking here.

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
"Bubble & Squeak" in Ireland, mashed potatoes with cabbage or leeks and sometimes cheese.

An "Ulster Fry" for breakfast (in Northern Ireland of course), anything and everything handy thrown into a skillet of medium-hot fat - soda bread, potato bread, malt bread, eggs, rashers, bangers, tomatoes, any kind of leftover potatoes from the previous evening meal, etc.

Steak and kidney pie, most anywhere in the British Isles. The various meat and blood puddings also. Jaffa Cakes!

The stuffed cabbage this Afrikaner girl I knew a long time ago used to make.

stacked (flat) enchiladas with a fried egg on top in northern Chihuahua.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
From my home country-

South Africa - pap and wors.
Mieliepap is a stodgy cornmeal
Wors is boerewors (farm sausage)- a traditional sausage with beef and pork.

Wanna try some? We just made a bunch and will be cooking it up at the Overland Expo.

targa88

Explorer
Steak & kidney with beer and lamingtons (for desert) in Oz
Veal sausages & Spätzle in Geneva
Smoked reindeer in Rovaniemi
Fish and pips from a street vendor of the coast of Dover

NothingClever

Explorer
Khub, dar Afghanistan...

Baray-e chai-sobh, nan-e garm wa qaimaq, meywah wa chai sia.

Qorma homroy brenj-e garm baray-e nan-e chasht.

Baray-e nan-e shab, awal sup-e khord wa dwum, murgh kabob ya d*mba homroy mast.

Nan-e afghan besyar masadar ast :victory: .

En colombia, lo que sea mientras sea Abuelita o Mamita cocinando :wings: .

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Great subject :)

Potato cakes and Apple wine from a street festival in Munich, Germany.

3640092752_7c8d2a754c_z.jpg

Pea soup and Radler after hiking the back way to Berg Eltz, Mosel Valley, Germany

3640599914_25d314427f_z.jpg

Paris train station

3882738031_90f754bda9_z.jpg

I would also add in:

• Ahi Poke in Maui
  • A cheeseburger from any Five Guys off the highway
  • Fish and chips from a vendor in London
  • A handmade pizza with peas, corn and ham in Cuba
  • Traditional beans in Dominican Republic
  • A 7:00 am dopio espresso in Florence, Italy

And the best was venison and wild boar stews in Austria. :chef:

Pete