Ford SD manual tranny?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The trans is called a ZF, ZF5 is the 5 speed and the ZF6 is the 6 speed which I think was introduced in 2000 with diesels and V10s only, the V8s had the 5 speed. They just discontinued the ZF6 with the diesels for 2011 models if it helps. It is an awesome trans..

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
So let me pose a question. Any guess as to how hard (translation, how much $) would it be to put in a ZF6 (and all other parts like clutch stuff) against a 2001 7.3 turnkey? I would assume as in cruiser-world, tranny hump and driveshaft length changes and undercarriage support bracketry &c &c?

bftank

Explorer
should be a bolt in affair. i had one in my '03 f350 with 7.3l. great trans perfect shift pattern in my opinion. reverse was right over low great for backing up trailers. i did have to replace the clutch line as it developed a leak. highly recommend it.

Rozzi

Adventurer
I had that transmission in my 2000. Incredible tranny with no minimal maintenance. Mine had 200k and shifted like new.

Bella PSD

Explorer
So let me pose a question. Any guess as to how hard (translation, how much $) would it be to put in a ZF6 (and all other parts like clutch stuff) against a 2001 7.3 turnkey? I would assume as in cruiser-world, tranny hump and driveshaft length changes and undercarriage support bracketry &c &c?

I think the worst part would be the floor pan hump in the SD. The auto tranny is smaller than the ZF six speed. Not sure but I think it has to be cut and welded in. I just looked under mine and its all one piece/not a special bolted in piece for the few ZF's they made.

Louie

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If you decide to pursue this give Dave a call at Piers Diesel in Canada and feel free to use my name as to how you decided to call him. He races Super Dutys and did this swap on his own truck and can tell you the in and outs. Also it is possible to do it without switching the column, you just have to remove the arm and some people prefer the auto column as it doesn't have that stupid key lock system that the standards have which I always thought didn't make sense...

lstzephyr

wanderer
Was the 6sp a 5sp with low under reverse or did it actually have low and then 6 speeds?(7spd) I had a 2008 v8 gas f250 as a company truck for a while and was never quite sure what its trans was.

Do people sometimes stick zf6 trans behind a cummins? I'm more curious than anything.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Was the 6sp a 5sp with low under reverse or did it actually have low and then 6 speeds?(7spd) I had a 2008 v8 f250 as a company truck for a while and was never quite sure what its trans was.

Do people sometimes stick zf6 trans behind a cummins? I'm more curious than anything.

They are a 6spd, low/granny gear with 5 upper gears, including the OD. You only use the low gear like you would any other low gear, just to get a heavy load going.

I love mine, a little rough around town, but once you get a load behind it, it is sweetness.

I don't think anyone is swapping them behind cummins, they just use the NV 4500/5600's.

Jack

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
No they definitely are, most think the ZF6 is a better trans than the NV5600. I have a NV5600 in a Land Cruiser and it is a ginormous and expensive monstrosity and the NV4500 is very weird shifting, basically a 3 speed like an old SM465, but with an over and under drive.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
And here I sit just thinking how much I dig the NV4500 in my new to me Dodge! I guess a few years with an auto will make a guy love any manual! (Sorry I didn't get back to you Andre, I didn't have the $$$ for your truck!) :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior