Do you guys have a piece of legendary gear?

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
sorry; never looked above the description.

update edit: i just recieved my Brigade Quartermaster catalog. the picture of Maxpedition Colossus Versipack item #MAX30 looks similar.

these ones any good?

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
Shovel said:
That's my unit all right! Over a foot long and blunt on the end, feels great in my hand. I've been in the bush a lot with that unit and it's always been a rigid tool when I needed it - no matter how scary the bush was. I can only hope my unit will remain dependable as it ages - I use it a lot, literally every weekend I'm whackin' it against something and sometimes during the week as well. The first time I showed it to Joni, we were camping and she said she was cold - so I pulled it out and got to work. 5 minutes later I had all the wood I needed to warm her up, and in no time we were enjoying the heat - all thanks to my unit.
GRAB THAT UNIT!!!

you know, if there wasnt a picture....

o and i found your "unit"
http://www.imsplus.com/ims8b.html

Last edited:

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
MSR XGKII Stove - Everything the Whisperlite is, but burns multiple fuels. Noisy, messy white gas, and you can't cook pancakes on it evenly.. BUT, it always works and is field repairable when it doesn't. It boils water fast at any elevation and at any temperature. It isn't sexy like my Jetboil, but it is trustworthy.

Ramsey RE12000 Worm Drive Winch - Slow, but keeps going when all the planetary winches are overheated. Works even if the engine isn't running.

My Dog

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I use a coleman lantern from the 1970's.. dont know if that qualifies for lengendary... or not... but it works flawlessly to this day. It was my dads so it means more to me after he passed.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I had to think about this one for a while.

At first I felt it was a handmade flyrod I have. To me, it's beautiful and I love it. Lots of memories in that rod.

But the more I thought about it, I went back to my trusty Spyderco Delica knife. It's always with me (when I'm not in a suit at least!) and I have used it thousands of times. It's cut cheese, bread, trout, rope and my thumb all in one afternoon.

Pete

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've got a 'P-38' can opener that my father was issued when he was in the Korean 'conflict.'

He gave it to me when I was in cub scouts (about 35 years ago). Served me well up through Boy Scouts, and on hunting trips.

Went with me when I lived in Korea, Spain, Germany, Turkey...

I used to carry it on my keyring 24/7, but quit a couple of years ago. I got tired of occasionally jamming the little point under my fingernail when reaching into my pocket. Now it's relegated to the camping box.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
great thread...

My legendary peices of gear:
I had a yellow patagonia 3 layer shell that took more abuse than I can recall. I had it for years and years, skied, biked, treked, backpacked, hiked, fed dogs water, spilled oil on it. It got ugly and hideous and my fiancee eventually borderline required me to get a new coat just because of cosmetics but it still held up like no other. Then a friend suggested once that I casually talk to someone about "trading it in due to the filth" as Patagonia has an unreal policy about trade ins, and the person offered me a new coat right then and there (could not believe it considering its blatently abused condition). The replacement was a 2 layer I used for a year then tore (honestly probably not the coat's fault) but I took it in to get repaired and they gave me another! This time a winter specific (so I can't use it all season any more) but the new one is nice and genuine Gore Tex. So I bought a light shell for non winter from Mountain Hardware that also seems super tough and now am using two. But that Patagonia shell was just phenominal. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere...

Second, a pair of Goretex EMS ski pants, that I also had for 6-7 years of skiing including several 100+ days in college. Still have them, they are still water proof, just hammered...

Third, Whisperlight International Stove. No more info needed :)

Fouth: My Lowe Alpine backpacks, a Kanga Himal I've had since I was 16, the largest Lowe they made that the time, and a day pack I have that I did trail work with for 5 years and still held up rock solid. They sent me a new one rather than fixing the zipper when it blew out and sadly the replacement was stolen and I don't even remember what it was called... But a great backpack...

Finally: my Land Cruiser.. Particularly my HJ60 diesel land cruiser that was 100% solid as a rock and this way from the factory, even with 175K. Never left me stranded, not even once, even at 20 below having not been started in 2-3 weeks and under 3 feet of snow in Alta at midnight, and it was diesel! I'm hoping to build this new on into just as good a piece of gear as well :)

Last edited:
BogusBlake said:
I'd have to say my legendary piece of gear is my Eureka! Timberline two person tent.

When I was 16, I got my first job and that tent was the first thing I ever bought with a legal paycheck.

I've carried that tent hundreds of miles through AZ and NM and I take it on just about every camping trip I go on. I can set it up in the dark, the rain, or the wind. The seams have never leaked and the zippers have never jammed.

One of these days I'm going to buy the 4 person Outfitter model.

Yeah, same here. Mine has been all over the world and stood up through 3 tropical storms, hail, and a bunch of other stuff. I always like watching everyones dome and cheap walmart tents rolling across a field. Its the #1 Boy Scout tent too.

BMAN

Adventurer
Spikepretorius said:
Browning 9mm. Hasn't left my hip in 26 years

Bet that's a little precarious when in bed with the missus. Or in the shower. Or getting a physical. Or any other place where a person might find themselves without pants.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
BMAN said:
Bet that's a little precarious when in bed with the missus. Or in the shower. Or getting a physical. Or any other place where a person might find themselves without pants.

Hee hee... must make target practice tough too... :shakin:

Pete

GaryMc

Explorer
My old school Gerber multi-tool, the one before the safety locks. I found it on the side of the road in Texas and it won't leave.

My Petzl Tikka headlamp, it just won't die.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Bet that's a little precarious when in bed with the missus
Bwaahhaaaaaa. :)
No seriously, without starting a whole gun debate please, a gun in storage isn't worth a dime. It's like having a child. If you make the commitment then that's it. Surfing, waterskiing, motor racing, in bed with the missus, whatever, I make a plan to keep it with me.

In SA it's a major criminal offence if it goes missing. You have to have it on your person or in a safe. In a safe doesn't cut it for me.

snipecatcher

Adventurer
yes

My Cold Steel Bad axe. Sure, it's evil looking, and somewhat made for throwing. It's lightweight, stays VERY SHARP, and the toughest axe I've ever had the pleasure of using. Stays in my truck and gets used to cut down brush, cut down trees, dig holes, and gets thrown at stuff when I'm bored. It has battle scars from glancing off trees/rocks, but is still as tight as the day I bought it. Here's a picture of one.
http://www.gpknives.com/item/cold-steel-bad-axe.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior