Base Camp Duffels

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
These are my picks as an equipment buyer for an outdoor store, first hand user, and someone who always hears a lot of feedback: The North Face is by no stretch my favorite brand, but their Base Camp Duffels rule. I've beat the tar out of mine and while zipping them with bulging loads is a little tricky, they're full featured and great to carry in backpack mode. I've been using Mountain Hardwear's expedition duffels and have to say I like them as well, but the panel load zipper thing is a bit wierd. Gregory's newer duffels are far cheaper, but with one long strait zipper, they're pretty basic.

The Simms duffels are super nice, but perhaps not as durable as the Base Camp Duffel. If you need full on water proofness, look at Cascade Designs Seal Line dry bags.

Last edited:
A

Anne Mayer

The North Face duffle looks pretty neat. Another option you could consider is this Briggs & Riley exchange duffle. The best part about this duffle is that you can convert it into a backpack and carry it on your shoulders. The duffle should be available in stores and on BR website in a couple of weeks.

Salue

Adventurer
I was at Costco and saw these waterproof bags. While they're not duffels, they appear to be well made and are an excellent price at $35. They only carry them at the stores in yellow and black.
I'm thinking of picking up a couple of these.

Attachments

• waterproof_backpack_large_.jpg
    waterproof_backpack_large_.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 30

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I use the military issue duffel bags, I was issued more then one over the years, but I also bought 2 or 3 from the base uniform shop for 12 bucks each (bringing my grand total of green sea bags to a crazy amount). They can also be found on line for a for 20 or less depending on condition and whether or not its a copy or old junk! You'll want new ones that are water resistant like the real ones. I once drove my pickup for an hour in hard rain and my mil issue duffles in the bed stayed dry, with the exception being the OLD one I was issued in boot camp, it was slightly damp inside on the side facing up.

http://www.google.com/products?q=military+duffle+bag&hl=en&aq=0&oq=military+du

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Black Hole bag and TNF Base camp large next to 235/85 16.
P5290044.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz