Getting lost information - for kids

RVR2RSQ

Observer
So, occasionally my team will do talks/demos for children (schools, boy/girl scouts, etc.).

Does anybody else do these persentations? Do you have any pamphlets you hand out?

I have one sheet of paper I put together, but am looking for other ideas and to make sure I dont overlook anything obvious. I have done searches on the web and have seen some coloring books and good info, but I was just wondering if anyone here had a good tri-fold design that I could steal/plagerize :ylsmoke:

Remember "its for the children" :)

Thanks
Brian

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I used to do "Hug A Tree" with my last dog, Boomer (a GSD). He wasn't a search dog (he had allergies), but was so good natured that the kids could pretty well abuse him all day long.

All of Hug-A-Tree's information is copyrighted and they were aggressive about enforcing it. I've lost track of the organization actually doing anything lately. The concept is for kids who are lost to basically...hug a tree: It's familiar, will be warmer than the surrounding air, and keeps them in one place.

Kids will try and actively hide from rescuers because they think they're in trouble (as an aside, getting police/military assistance is good, but it's VERY important to tell the recruits to NOT say things like "Timmy, come out or you're in deep trouble"...not productive. Timmy already knows he's in trouble.

One thing I learned is to not show up in any kind of uniform, with my helmet and light on, etc... but to bring it and show it. Show up all kitted out and the kids get spooked by the Cyclops with the orange shirt and police dog, show up and put it on while you're in front of them (and pass around extras to let them touch and play with) keeps them from that.

PSAR (Preventative SAR) is a good thing to do.

steven83815

NASAR Hug-A-Tree

NASAR Hug-A-Tree

The Presenter support page has some downloads; pamphlets, activity books for the kids, etc.

I did a presentation for some Pre-K kids (my son's class) last April and they still talk about it. My son always grabs his trash bag & whistle when we head out for a hike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles