AT & OJ Open House May 29th

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Rex,
Please reach out to Steve in case I can't....working tonight, short sleep tomorrow and Boy Scout campout over the weekend means I could easily forget.

Joe & others, great to hear we will have some company...Mark has not confirmed if he can make it or not, and if not I am sure he will make sure we are well prepped with history and info :)

haven

Expedition Leader
Will the much rumored JK Topper be ready for its debut at the Open House?

And since when does Expeditions West have a Brute in house to play with? (oops, I mean to test and analyze :sombrero:)

Scott Brady

Founder
I wish I had a Brute here Chip.

You should fly down and we will pick you up at the airport. We have extra trucks for you to drive too!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey all!

Here's a brief description of the 3rd trail opportunity. Since it is a 1.5 to 2 rated drive, I don't see a need to limit the size of the group.

FS 68D starts at Cherry Rd (Hwy 169) and I-17. It heads to the top of Squaw Peak about 12 miles in from I-17. At 6500', it looms over the Verde Valley and offers perhaps the best view of central AZ I've ever found. From the Bradshaw's to the Four Peaks, the Tonto Basin, almost the entire Rim, Flagstaff, Williams and Granite Mt. are all on display. The top of the mountain is covered in towers, so a wheelchair could be easily maneuvered around to see all the sights. Squaw Peak was part of the Heliograph system under General Miles and linked Ft Whipple to Glassford Hill, on to Squaw Peak, and down to Camp Verde. It also transmitted messages down to Mt. Ord and eventually all the way to New Mexico. The road is unimproved, portions of it are a typical mesa top rutted road. We'll also pass the trail head into Arnold Canyon (details on Wales Arnold in the post below - he was an early AZ pioneer).

If we make good time, there will also be an opportunity to do a portion of the Great Western Trail to the south and come out on Dugas Rd.

This trail is big rig friendly - even White Power Wagons with 4Wheel Campers.

(ahem...BX? :sombrero: )

http://www.discoverseaz.com/History/Miles_Helio.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23922&highlight=wales+arnold

Depart at 8:00 AM

Comms: 2M 146.46 or FRS 1.1 (no CB for me!)

Attachments

• Hg_Stations_graphics_added_by_jhr_725x534.jpg
    Hg_Stations_graphics_added_by_jhr_725x534.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You guys are killing me!! I would sooo like to be there for this event! :drool:

Jim

Fly to Phoenix, catch the shuttle to Prescott, and we'll pick you up downtown. Short side trip to the Raven, then back the AT HQ.

Bring a sleeping bag, we'll take care of the rest.

1speed

Explorer
Jim

Fly to Phoenix, catch the shuttle to Prescott, and we'll pick you up downtown. Short side trip to the Raven, then back the AT HQ.

Bring a sleeping bag, we'll take care of the rest.

Is the shuttle by air, land or sea? What is "the "Raven"?

Veeery tempting. Anyone have a spare seat on a trail ride? :bike_rider:

syke

Adventurer
Shuttle is by land... by sea would take to long. :sombrero:
"Raven Cafe" is a restaurant downtown - pretty neat joint
Can't help ya on the spare seat but I'm sure someone will pipe in.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
1speed, if you're at the OJ/AT offices on Sat morning, look for a heavily AZ pinstripped 2009 Flame Red Dodge Power Wagon with a camper shell - AKA Cactus Red. I seriously doubt there will be another red one there...

If we find you sitting in the back seat of the quad cab at 8:00 AM, we'll take ya along for the day :sombrero:

We won't be doing any rock crawlin' like the Smiley Rock crew, but I will guarantee you'll see some fine country!

Mark

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Is the shuttle by air, land or sea? What is "the "Raven"?

Veeery tempting. Anyone have a spare seat on a trail ride? :bike_rider:

Jim

Looks like everyone has it organized for you.

I'll buy you a Hemp ale at the Raven :)

1speed

Explorer
Thanks guys! I'll see what I can work out.

My wife just reminded me it's a holiday weekend and we tend to be busy at work, I'll check the staffing and plane tickets today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior