1 ton man fort

ToyFamily

Observer
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I wanted the smaller box and single rear to fit easier on remote roads to mountain lakes. Also so it's less of a pain to drive around town often if I choose. I'm only going to be towing my Toyota so I should be good. I'll build this out like I want it and down the road if the drivetrain doesn't hack it maybe I'll swap in a diesel.

Here's a shot of the interior as is..hardwood floors and custom cabinets...I'm going to take some measurements and redesign it all in Solidworks to get the most use out of the space.

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

• 23493_117283568283752_100000063283038_274552_7459317_n.jpg
    23493_117283568283752_100000063283038_274552_7459317_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,754
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 937
  • microinv.jpg
    microinv.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 380

ToyFamily

Observer
I ordered a Norcold fridge and picked up my HP ford dana 60...as well as some new 4" ICON Superduty springs which I stumbled upon and got a deal on..

I also started putting measurements into solidworks and designing a new rear door to double as a deck and support the two 33" spares

Nick

Attachments

• frigde.jpg
    frigde.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 174
  • hp60.jpg
    hp60.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 219
  • man van door.jpg
    man van door.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 330

ToyFamily

Observer
Some of the things I am undecided on is which sound/thermal insulation to go with and also I have been trying to find an air dam for this van. The roof is about .060 aluminum so it's pretty tin sounding while driving...and I keep seeing commercial vans running around with air dams on them which I'd like to add for aerodynamics but also cut through the box and use it for storage but have had no luck on finding some on the internet...It may become another fabrication project on this....

Nick

Attachments

• airdam.jpg
    airdam.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 184

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Fantastic ! Another stealth camper on the way :D I see those air dams a lot, too. There must be someplace making them for the shops making the boxes. Maybe the folks at that website, "vancamper.com" can help point you ? As for the diesel swap, you could do one of those Ford/Cummins set-ups and have the best of both worlds... :)

Anyway, congratulations and keep us posted on the progress !

bucketosudz

Explorer
And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to entertain this type of project!! :sombrero:

My father passed away the end of March, so I purchased a 2000 E350 Cube Van with a 14' box, to use to store some of his belongings. All the while I considered converting it to a light-duty "carry-all" camper for our family of five. The open platform is the funnest part of the idea. 14' long, 7' high and nearly 8 wide, it leaves alot of room for imagination!

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how you proceed with this project. :victory:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I've got a lot of dreams going on right now, just about maxed out; hope you don't mind if I latch on to one of yours. This looks good, I'll be reading!

ToyFamily

Observer
I'm battling layout right now in my head...

dinette bed conversion in the front and still cutting the walk though, RV door on the side behind the pass wheel well and having the drop down rear door/deck...

or same but dinette in the back RV door in front of pass wheel well.

or lowering bed from ceiling in either spot which would reduce head room maybe 4-6" in that area????

there's also just walling off the back in any config.????

Input?

Nick

JMyerz

Adventurer
Had we not needed the seating for 3 (wife, small child + dog) my we would have gone this route! I cannot wait to see this built up.

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior