450lb capacity camp chair

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with an affordable and sturdy foldable chair that will support 450lbs? There are chairs that claim 350 plus but I'm not sure how much you can go over that.

I know it's also dependant on how much a person moves around in the chair as to how it will hold up. Those plastic feet and rivets at the hinge points always look cheap.

DWphoto

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with an affordable and sturdy foldable chair that will support 450lbs? There are chairs that claim 350 plus but I'm not sure how much you can go over that.

I know it's also dependant on how much a person moves around in the chair as to how it will hold up. Those plastic feet and rivets at the hinge points always look cheap.

450 lbs!

what are you placing in said chair?

NorCalLC

Adventurer
A buddy of mine, yes a big man and so far the kermit chair is the only one I can find that has a large weight rating and looks a little comfortable for someone of his size.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback Basinranger. I thought of his width and he's fully aware of the challenge. All I see are open sided stools which aren't even comfortable for very long with my 140lbs.

I'll keep looking around but it's a real challenge fitting someone of this size. I'll keep you informed if I find something worthwhile.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
thanks YouandI and BIGGUY for the info and links. I've sent them to my buddy with some details to compare. I'll see what he thinks later.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Is width a consideration besides weight? A fabric chair with armrests wouldn't be forgiving for a person that is wider than what the designer had in mind.

How about a sturdy storage box with cushion on top? It wouldn't provide a backrest, but wouldn't be constraining.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I'm not too sure about the storage box with no back on it. I think he wants some back support and the width thing is always a challenge.

It clearly seems to be a lacking item in the market (wide enough for someone of this weight). Even though the sites listed in previous posts have chairs with a high weight limit, they are not really wide enough for true comfort. If they were any wider, I think they would need some extra support for sure in the seating area.

dms1

Explorer
You might want to look at these chairs, although they say they only support 350 lbs, I have a 450+ pound friend who uses this chair and it lasts him about two years before it falls apart, I also use this chair and I have had the costco version for almost 8 years and have the actual version in the link for going on two years and it is like new (in fact i am sitting on it as I type this in Moab)

P.S. I wanted to ad that the chair in the link I provided is a suspension type seat and the front cross members wont dig into your legs like the cheapies.

Last edited:

NorCalLC

Adventurer
thanks, looks good and a much better price for him. BTW, thanks for taking time to respond. Hope you're enjoying the trip.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
thanks, looks good and a much better price for him. BTW, thanks for taking time to respond. Hope you're enjoying the trip.

I have a MAC chair. It's not exactly like the one linked too above, but very similar. It has lasted a few years now, but the connection at the front of the seat is a bit prone to poke into your leg. It's not uncomfortable, but you notice it. It has held my weight well, but it's not a compact chair by any means.

Shiryas

Adventurer
I would be concerned about the folding chairs not holding up well over time, like you said 'rivets and plastic'.

Something sturdy and flat to sit on like a cooler or big Pelican 1650 combined with a Therm-A-Rest chair might hold up better.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41081

Crazy Creek also sells chairs, but theirs are only 17" wide, Therm-A-Rest sells a model that is 20" wide. The way the mattress folds up its double thick under your bum and he could always inflate it a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior