M101A2 Expedition Trailer?

TRACTION

Adventurer
There are a few M101A2 trailers available at GovernmentLiquidation.com in my area.

I need a trailer mainly for yard projects, etc but would consider building it for expedition and hunting use.

Anyone have experience with these trailers and could offer me any warnings or recommendations?

The weight isn't a huge concern as a I have a 3/4 ton diesel.

I'll probably have it blasted and refinish it and potentially build a rack system that could be removed for a RTT.

Any comments?

shogun

Adventurer
Depending on condition, these are about the most usable trailers around.

Some limitations though;

Too big for "jeep" size vehicles. Although I do use them with an XJ for on-road use only. Pickup trucks work well.

You must understand the issue of size and weight. Unlike many things, just because it fits doesnt mean its OK. These trailers are physically larger than thier gross weight rating. Generally you will "gross" out well before you "bulk" out. Do not overload it, although they are much tougher than any commercial trailers, and will survive careful overloading. I would recommend having the springs upgraded, but that doesnt mean the entire trailer is OK with heavier loads, the axle, bearings, wheels, tires etc still rate 3/4 ton.

I regularly run mine up to 1.5 ton, but again, on-road only, very careful to balance load, very easy around corners, smooth roads prefered.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
The M101 is a 3/4ton (off-road) rated trailer, that weighs about 1225 lbs empty. Max is 3550 lbs loaded.

Its a big, heavy platform.

shogun

Adventurer
The M101 is a 3/4ton (off-road) rated trailer, that weighs about 1225 lbs empty. Max is 3550 lbs loaded.

Its a big, heavy platform.

The TM9...-14P List the weights as;

Payload: Cross Country 1500#, Highway 2250#

You can move it around by yourself when empty, and disconnect when full (if load is balanced well). I'll stick by my recommendation to have the springs upgraded by a leaf.

1x1_Speed_Craig

I'm using a M101A3 as the basis for my trailer, but it'll be used primarily on the road (with very mild offroad). I'll be pulling it with an '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Craig

TRACTION

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call today and see if it's possible to inspect them prior to bidding since they're local.

davidkroberts

new to the forum not new at all to military vehicles and trailers

Hi im new here and was reading about your plans for a m101 camper. Im planning one myself. If you want to save yourself allot of trouble you can get a S250 communication shelter that is made to fit in the back. They can be bought for around 300 if you look around. They are already insulated and have wiring already installed. They just need the interior gutted and a window installed or two.

heres some pics of a guy who already did it. Im making something very similar just out of fiberglass laid over insulated wood form. Hoping to make it a bit larger and lighter. the s250 is around 800 lbs i think. good luck

Attachments

• truckcamper.jpg
    truckcamper.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 453
  • shelves.jpg
    shelves.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 317
  • camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 316

TRACTION

Adventurer
Just under 3 months to get the End Use Certificate (EUC) approved. They said it normally takes 60 days but lately has been 90 days or so.

Picked up the trailer yesterday. Got plans to refinish it and build it up a bit. Will do a separate thread for that though.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Very cool..awesome platform, bombproof, bulletproof, and hopefully TRACTION proof! :victory:

Congratz on the new trailer...let the mods begin!!

Pat

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
most of those commo shelters are also NBC approved as well, if you have a generator and the filter system that goes with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94