Water Pump / Water Tank setup...

Nikson

Explorer
Basic idea...

Be able to roll out a garden hose of 30+feet in length into a creek and fill fresh water tank (20-40 gal.) into tent trailer, where another pump will provide water for water heater (shower) as well as water supply for whatever other needs.

I've found that a regular pump isnt able to "prime" at a such long distance.

Open discussion from anyone with any previous setup experience.

Well pump setup? or.......

INSAYN

Adventurer
Attach a marine bilge pump to the end of the hose (in the water) to force water towards your onboard pump. Just need 12v power supply to make it run.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
^^^^ That is what I do. I run a small submersible pump to my water tank and then a Shurflo pump to pressurize the system.

Nikson

Explorer
^^^^ That is what I do. I run a small submersible pump to my water tank and then a Shurflo pump to pressurize the system.

How long of a hose (supply line) you end up using to fill the tank?

is there anything specific about the Shurflo pumps I should be considering?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
How long of a hose (supply line) you end up using to fill the tank?

is there anything specific about the Shurflo pumps I should be considering?

If you buy a Shurflo or Flojet, get one with a pressure switch. It allows you to use it later as a sink pump. I've had one for ten years and transferred it to four campers.
If you get one without a pressure switch, it will still work as a sink pump, but it's more cumbersome.

Frank.

Nikson

Explorer
If you buy a Shurflo or Flojet, get one with a pressure switch. It allows you to use it later as a sink pump. I've had one for ten years and transferred it to four campers.
If you get one without a pressure switch, it will still work as a sink pump, but it's more cumbersome.

Frank.

Pressure switch... thus it turns on when you turn on the faucet, and turns off when you close the faucet? did I get that right?

INSAYN

Adventurer
Pressure switch... thus it turns on when you turn on the faucet, and turns off when you close the faucet? did I get that right?

Yup, when you open the faucet you release the built pressure and the pump then pumps. Once you close the faucet, the pump continues to pump to pressurize the line, but then shuts off when a set pressure is hit (usually within a few seconds). It then sits idle waiting for the next time the faucet gets opened. They are very simple units, and if you use a good inline water filter they last for many years.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
The submersible pump to the 15 gallon tank is about 6 feet and then 6 feet or so to the Shurflo pump and then 2 feet to the shower head. It is the pressure regulated pump so it kicks on when you turn the faucet on.

Nikson

Explorer
The submersible pump to the 15 gallon tank is about 6 feet and then 6 feet or so to the Shurflo pump and then 2 feet to the shower head. It is the pressure regulated pump so it kicks on when you turn the faucet on.

my planned setup would be where the pump will be at about 50+ feet distance., so when I camp out next to a creek (or whatever water supply), I'll be able to throw out the hose w/pump into the water source. I am hoping to supply the water into the tanks from the distance and have it turn on by itself this way tanks remain 50% or so at all the time.

Shurflo that will be onboard, will supply water to fixtures like faucet & shower as needed...

I think that pretty good idea. I dont mind to have to drag some garden hose around, and I would think it wouldnt be too tough to install some filters in line to make sure that water is debris free...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior