Eezi Awn 2200 on a JK Unlimited

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Guys,

I have seen plenty of Eezi Awn 1800 RTTs on the JK Unlimited but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the larger 2200 family tent on top of one? Will it fit OK? Too big?

Also, if someone were to go this route, what would be a good cargo rack to pair with an Eezi Awn for the JK Unlimited?

Cheers

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Baja Rack is making a pretty strong rack.
Why not call Martyn or Mario at AT; they'll know how well it would fit.
Take a look at this video from last month:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDtjjDneGQ

Thanks for the video. I wish I could have been there in person but unfortunately I'm stuck halfway across the country right now. I hear good things about Baja Rack. Gobi and Garvin appear to be other names that keep popping up. Any opinions on either?

Yeah I might give Martyn a call. This question was actually posed to me by a friend and I was just looking to see if someone on Expo, with its vast knowledge base, could provide me a quick answer.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've seen the Gobi and Baja up close and they both looked hefty; I haven't seen a Garvin.
The ARB on Scott's Skunworks rig was nifty too; wish there was a marketable option...

387.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You can fit a Front runner Slim Line 2.2 meter rack to the JK, it's $1240.00

It's the same length as the 2200 Eezi Awn so the fit would be good.

We have them in stock along with the tent mounting brackets.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
You can fit a Front runner Slim Line 2.2 meter rack to the JK, it's $1240.00

It's the same length as the 2200 Eezi Awn so the fit would be good.

We have them in stock along with the tent mounting brackets.

Martyn,

Will the Eezi-Awn 2200 family tent fit safely on a JK Unlimited then? He really wants the 2200 but is concerned it will be too big for the vehicle and is considering dropping down to the 1800 T-Top if necessary.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn,

Will the Eezi-Awn 2200 family tent fit safely on a JK Unlimited then? He really wants the 2200 but is concerned it will be too big for the vehicle and is considering dropping down to the 1800 T-Top if necessary.

The 1800 is 145 lbs vs. the 2200 at 187 lbs a increase of 29% There are no 1800 T Tops in the USA at this time.

Putting a roof rack and associated gear on any vehicle vehicle is going to raise the center of mass. This issue can be compounded if the vehicle is already lifted and sitting on over sized tires.

Many under estimate the weight they place up on a roof rack, and while some may gasp at putting 187 lbs up there they happily put 2 Jerry cans, in holders, full of fuel up there. 2 full Jerry cans in holders weigh in at 95 lbs.

As far as the 2200 being too big, that depends on what you mean. It's a good fit as far as sitting nicely over the roof area and squarely on the rack with no overhang.

It's difficult to make a RTT lighter, the only way to do it is to use lighter weight fabric and a composite base. Both have draw backs. Composite bases can result in condensation under the mattress, and lighter weight fabrics are prone to abrasion and breathability issues.

As with most of these issues there isn't an easy answer to your question just a series of compromises.

Last edited:

mountainsoul

Adventurer
The 1800 is 145 lbs vs. the 2200 at 187 lbs a increase of 29% There are no 1800 T Tops in the USA at this time.

Putting a roof rack and associated gear on any vehicle vehicle is going to raise the center of mass. This issue can be compounded it the vehicle is already lifted and sitting on over sized tires.

Many under estimate the weight they place up on a roof rack, and while some may gasp at putting 187 lbs up there they happily put 2 Jerry cans in holder full of fuel up there. 2 full Jerry cans in holders weigh in at 95 lbs.

As far as the 2200 being too big, that depends on what you mean. It's a good fit as far as sitting nicely over the roof area and squarely on the rack with no overhang.

It's difficult to make a RTT lighter, the only way to do it is to use lighter weight fabric and a composite base. Both have draw backs. Composite bases can result in condensation under the mattress, and lighter weight fabrics are prone to abrasion and breathability issues.

As with most of these issues there isn't an easy answer to your question just a series of compromises.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it. Sounds like the 2200 would work for him.

Voodoo11

Observer
Guys,

I have seen plenty of Eezi Awn 1800 RTTs on the JK Unlimited but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the larger 2200 family tent on top of one? Will it fit OK? Too big?

Also, if someone were to go this route, what would be a good cargo rack to pair with an Eezi Awn for the JK Unlimited?

Cheers

I don't mean to revive this thread but I'm looking to run the Eezi Awn 2200 on my JK. Did you mount this and if so, which rack did you use? Is it compatible with Gobi? Any tips, reviews, regrets, etc?

Thanks

Vizoo

Adventurer
Martyn,

Don't know if the info is still useful but I am also considering changing the 2200 (my first option) for the 1800 but, the main reason is not the size, its the weight. Remind your friend that the JK has a limit of ONLY 1000 lbs to carry, and that is including the passengers.

I have draw a line art several RTTs brands over the JK Unl. If interested, the link is here.

My expedition's main page is here.

Regards and safe trip for your friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles