Review: Campaign Furniture Companies - Chair Campaign

campaignfurniture

Hey Justin,

Thanks so much for coming up with this idea! It is very cool!! I am so glad you were with us in line at the bq during the expo. I will look forward to having the chair at next years expo with all the signatures and places it has been! Then it can be sent off again for more adventures.
I am going to set up a "where's the chair" photo gallery on the web site so we can keep track.

Cheers,
Andy

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
That larger table/box carrier that will hold 2 chairs seems like it would be a good idea. If you travel with one other person, it's not likely you would deploy a single chair, and not a 2nd, and who couldn't use a table right beside your chair?

Bingo! The table and chairs combo is a great idea. I spoke with Andy today from the Campaign Furniture Company. He was really excited about this little Chair Campaign. He mention several things. First something about the table getting a face lift. Looks like the legs will be longer and possible a larger box making for a more appropriate table height.

Andy, might I make a suggestion on this chair? I think the chair is going to last a very long time. I think the plastic buckle/snap clips will not. This is no big deal, but by sewing the straps closed, changing out the snap clips is much more difficult. I suggest either replacing the snap clips with a more traditional belt tine and buckle setup, or simply not sewing the straps closed and using a second plastic bit that snugs up the strap so it won't loosen up. That way, replacing the snap clip is as simple as calling you up or heading to a camping store.

I brought this question up to Andy today on the phone and his first response was the plastic buckles are Military Grade. His thought was they are going to last a lot longer then we might think. He played with the buckle setup on a prototype and it was just to time consuming. He did say if there every was a failure of the buckle he would take care of it.

I remember when I was first looking at the chairs at the Overland Expo someone else mentioned the plastic buckles but the one we were concerned with was the two side buckles that allow the backrest to recline. Someone was asking for a cam strap style buckle.

Good points all around. I think the feedback will help Andy in the long run. So Nathan when are you going to take the Campaign Chair for a spin.

Gear

Very cool idea Justin, and a very fine chair! :coffeedrink:

Dave, the Campaign Chair has your name all over it!! I am visioning the AT Flip Pac open, the one pot diner cooking and you sitting, relaxing Campaign Style! Tell Nori I said Hi. :wavey:

Shawn686

Observer
Andy, might I make a suggestion on this chair? I think the chair is going to last a very long time. I think the plastic buckle/snap clips will not. This is no big deal, but by sewing the straps closed, changing out the snap clips is much more difficult. I suggest either replacing the snap clips with a more traditional belt tine and buckle setup, or simply not sewing the straps closed and using a second plastic bit that snugs up the strap so it won't loosen up. That way, replacing the snap clip is as simple as calling you up or heading to a camping store.

(photo by Gear):
DSC_4961.jpg

These buckles are great for just this job.

http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=11&ParentCat=30

I have used them on my work backpack shoulder straps (infantry) and can say they will hold up to any thing you can put them through. IIRC they are rated at 80 lbs per buckle for the 1 inches ones.

Shawn

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So Nathan when are you going to take the Campaign Chair for a spin.

Well... I have a few quickie overnight trips in June, but the family is heading up into the Eastern Sierra's over July 4th weekend. Then again to Yosemite in August. Either of those would be great!

Sirocco

Explorer
what are the chances of getting this over to the UK? :coffeedrink:

would love to take it for a drive, but I guess it would cost as much as the chair to ship back and forth :Wow1:

G

campaignfurniture

Hi Sirocco,

Thanks for wanting to try the chair, UK would be cool! There is a very good chance the chairs will be available for purchase in the UK by the end of the year! Or I can get you a chair (to purchase)as well with the shipping from the US.
Or how about a flying over to here and hitting up Moab and Baja with the chair in tow. I will meet you in San Felipe for fish tacos and Corona's.

Cheers,
Andy

Gear

Well... I have a few quickie overnight trips in June, but the family is heading up into the Eastern Sierra's over July 4th weekend. Then again to Yosemite in August. Either of those would be great!

Nathan I am going to put you down for the July 4th Eastern Sierra's Trip. Please PM your address and the date you need the chair by. Should be a great time of year to visit the Sierra's.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
great setup. I am really surprised at the build of this chair. I am hitting the Sierra's on June 11-13 with about 25 people. Do I dare ask what the cost of the chair is it being hand made in the U.S.?

EDIT:
Guess i better ask what the weight rating is first as at 290lbs I am not a small boy.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Justin, great photos of a great chair...and great idea....it is all just so GREAT :)
I have just spent a total of 7 days over 2 weekends with Ben & Bev Edmonson who are some killer pro photographers and they have a set of these chairs.
I watching them being put together each night for camp, put away in the morning and watched our groups (8 in the first and 7 in the second) take turns sitting in the chairs and loving every minute.
I heard no complaints from Ben and Bev and they live on the trail as much as at home so if anyone wants to know about the lifespan of the product under continued use pm them.

I love the chairs and when the 2 chair/table combo comes out will seriously have to look at them again.
From the perspective of alot of the disabled community these chairs are not too hard to assemble (use a table instead of the ground) and the armrest & back support are perfect.
Many folks with physical issues need a strong armrest they can use to lift up & out of a chair and I tried these at the Overland Expo and was very impressed.
Plus you are dealing with the owner/maker and that makes a huge difference.

Looking forward to following the story and seeing these at OX11

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I am very interested to see this development, also !
This sounds like a very good solution for us.

That larger table/box carrier that will hold 2 chairs seems like it would be a good idea. If you travel with one other person, it's not likely you would deploy a single chair, and not a 2nd, and who couldn't use a table right beside your chair?

Gear

great setup. I am really surprised at the build of this chair. I am hitting the Sierra's on June 11-13 with about 25 people. Do I dare ask what the cost of the chair is it being hand made in the U.S.?

EDIT:
Guess i better ask what the weight rating is first as at 290lbs I am not a small boy.

Sierra's June 11-13 - Let me see when nwood's is going to be back from his trip. There is a possibility that we could make this happen. Weight rating is not a problem. The chair is designed for upwards of 350 lbs. Price of the chair is $300.00. Not bad for a hand crafted chair made in the USA. Plus it is nice to support a fellow Overlander/Expo Member with his new business.

I am very interested to see this development, also !
This sounds like a very good solution for us.

Hello Frank, I believe Andy is also working on a roll up table. I would like it to be diner height and seat four.

Gear

DSC_5767.jpg

Felt like a King this weekend at my son's baseball game. I have managed to get the assemble time down to less than two and half minutes. The only down side is I have upped the ante now at the baseball games. I better keep the Engel fridge a secret. Next they will be expecting ice cream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior