Anyone using a VW Touareg

RangeBrover

Explorer
The newer touareg v6 diesels are great trucks, the one I drove for a week got almost 30 mph highway between DC and Chicago. Would I want to take one off road? Probably not as there are not many options in regards to tires and from what I understand there are no off the shelf lift options. For tackling fire roads and getting a little off the beaten path I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but if you're looking for a truck to build it would be a poor choice.

NIKAS

The early MY Touareg's are robust off road platforms with >22" of OEM spec fording capability, yet it is true how few are actually used as designed, vs school pickups and soccer practices. Demand-driven international distribution is the main hurdle, with regional suppliers already solving the problems most people will have. Used vehicle prices have really come down in the decade since introduction which may help. As for parts: German OEM VW modifier, Seikel GmbH [www.seikel.de], make under ride protection plate, and a beefier suspension lift kit. A group out of South Africa, Sportvans Off Road Centre [www.sportvans.co.za], make a 99mm "Mad Maxx" Suspension Spring Kit that will also add 600kg of cargo capability. There is also a Russian outfit, Motodor [http://www.4rn.ru], that is making underbody protection over there. There are a bunch of intrepid fellas making their own armor, winch mounts, spare tire racks, and homemade lift kits out of their garages all over. Obviously, not a lot of OEM dealer options, but there are some international distribution possibilities for someone entrepreneurial. When the Amarok hits North America, this may change attitudes.

Volkswagen-Amarok-Polar-Expedition-3.jpg

Brown Irishman

Tepuitents.com

In the SF Bay area they rent tents and trailers with tents on them. They have a lot of tent options. Mine is the Autana model. The Foxwing Awning they did at my request. They have other awning options. They're good folks.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I just think that tent set-up is so cool that I might have to get something for my Yukon!:drool:

Brown Irishman

Thanks guys, it's almost time to start my winter "to do" list. Either going to fabricate a new front bumper with a winch or try to fit an ARB from a Grand Cherokee. also, mud flaps, a rear slideout kitchen, a better compressed air system and maybe a fridge/freezer. I know the Mrs. would love the fridge once we have it.?.

MexicoEcoResort

MexicoEcoResort
I just bought my second 2010 Touareg 2 TDi, this newer one has 4 corner air suspension, center locking diff, low range and extreme high lift via air suspension. Drove it down to my Mexican beach house yesterday (278 miles) and got 28.4 mpg at an average cruising speed of well North of 70 MPH. Will be trying to set this one up as an Overlander. Photos of this and my new Toyota Hilux 4 x 4 diesel are coming soon.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend is a VW dealer and got his wife a diesel Touareg. Economical,great driving experience but he couldn't keep it out of his own shop.
He transported it to a Canadian buyer.

Adventurous

Explorer
Buddy had the same issue. Diesel Toureg that spent more time in the shop than on the road. He finally got rid of it after over $20K (insurance footed most of that) in repairs. Nope.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I just bought my second 2010 Touareg 2 TDi, this newer one has 4 corner air suspension, center locking diff, low range and extreme high lift via air suspension. Drove it down to my Mexican beach house yesterday (278 miles) and got 28.4 mpg at an average cruising speed of well North of 70 MPH. Will be trying to set this one up as an Overlander. Photos of this and my new Toyota Hilux 4 x 4 diesel are coming soon.

Funny coincidence I was just looking at Touareg TDI (V6) this morning. I will need a replacement vehicle soon. I don't drive a lot but when I do it's usually long distance, so the 30 mpg is enticing.

Post some pics!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My friend is a VW dealer and got his wife a diesel Touareg. Economical,great driving experience but he couldn't keep it out of his own shop.
He transported it to a Canadian buyer.

Was it a V6 or V10? Big difference. I would not touch the V10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne