We test the Ram Runner

Scott Brady

Founder
No, it is not an expedition truck ;)

But who cares. . .

ram_runner%20(1).jpg

ram_runner.jpg

ram_runner%204.jpg

Full sequence available on our home page article.

I know that many of us have "go fast" sides of our interest in vehicles, but beyond that, vehicles like this prove to be test platforms for ideas, many of which trickle down into production vehicles (think Raptor).

Overall, I liked the truck, and it was essentially a race-ready full size. The suspension was soft, yet responsive. I thought they could have improved on the front-end styling more though. Even a slightly more aggressive/larger front bar would have helped balance the gnarly hood and wide fenders. The vehicle was so street worthy, it was actually driven on highway all the way to Moab - pulling a Jeep on a trailer!

Thoughts?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like a lot of fun!

I agree the front bar looks a little too small and low compared to the hood line.

When I saw the pictures I was wondering if they shoe-horned the V10 from the Viper in there, but I see it's only a 375 HP 5.7L V8 Hemi.

I wonder about the market for vehicles like this and the Raptor. Seem like it might be quite small, but Dodge has shown a tendency to play in those niche segments.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Why couldn't it be an expedition vehicle? :)

I saw it driving down the highway south of Moab on my way to EJS on Friday. I'm sad I didn't get to crawl around it, it looked like a cool concept. Next time invite me!

I honestly think a great suspension, even when not pushed to the limits, will make the chassis last longer when used consistently on non-paved roads.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Not an expedition vehicle? Why not? If people can take off wherever and whenever on motorcycles with a fraction of the carrying capacity of something like this then why can't a prerunner be a decent alternative? Seems to me that long travel quality suspension, a good amount of carrying space, and the peace of mind of a rollbar would make for a really cool setup.

Of course the trick would be to keep anything attached to it. maybe build a canopy/topper with a hammock or cot built into the rollcage so it doesn't run away? :elkgrin:

justdoit

Holey cow Batman. I really liked the Raptor, but being a Dodge man this is awesome. I need to get a towel now as i am starting to make a mess:drool:

angusdevil

Adventurer
From the videos I've seen of it, it doesn't look to be a tuned suspension. It looks like most everything else that KK has put out that has his "special valving" aka off-the-shelf-from-Fox. I'm not bashing because with a good tune, I think the truck would be flat out amazing but as from what I've seen, it looks like it just blows through the shocks and relies heavily on the bumps. A truck that takes a 18 inch jump should not be stuffing fenderwells and sounding like its going to fall apart.

I couldn't be more tickled to see this truck! If it made it to production, I doubt it would have the airbumps and many of the nicer upgrades but it'll stay up there or beat the Raptor. Would love to see the custom arms, glass and bumper on the production truck as well to really set it apart. If not, it doesn't appear to be much more than what they tried to do with the 06-08's + deavers and rear shocks.

Last edited:

06QuadRam

Observer
Totally agree with you Angus. The video of this truck and its landing is like a pile of bricks. With a little work this truck would flat out be amazing!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Looks like a lot of fun!
I wonder about the market for vehicles like this and the Raptor. Seem like it might be quite small, but Dodge has shown a tendency to play in those niche segments.

I believe the market for this would be miniscule. Those of us who spend a lot of time exploring the outback want dependability, capability - and great fuel mileage. We are not interested in high-speed aerobatics. For us, the Power Wagon is a much more viable alternative - especially if it had the Cummins under the hood (this coming from a very satisfied Ram/Cummins owner). Another outstanding expedition vehicle would be the Wrangler Rubicon 4-door if Chrysler would just put a decent engine in it. If it was offered with one of the hemis, don't you think people would snap it up? If it were offered with a good, torquey diesel that offered great mileage I would be waiting in line, checkbook in hand. Until then I will stick with my TJ with the I-6. If you want to increase sales, offer what people really want to buy!

RR1

Explorer
If you want to increase sales, offer what people really want to buy!

I see plenty of Raptors running the town I live, so Ford is offering what people want to buy. If this Ram Runner goes into production, I don't see why it wouldn't sell. I could care less about diesels.

I would buy one, but I can build it cheaper. My 70's Ford Crew Cab is long travel, have 18" of travel front and rear, I could get more travel out of the rear, but I wanted to keep the bed usable for camping and hauling dirt bikes.

Can't even feel wash boards in it.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I see plenty of Raptors running the town I live, so Ford is offering what people want to buy. If this Ram Runner goes into production, I don't see why it wouldn't sell. I could care less about diesels.

I would buy one, but I can build it cheaper. My 70's Ford Crew Cab is long travel, have 18" of travel front and rear, I could get more travel out of the rear, but I wanted to keep the bed usable for camping and hauling dirt bikes.

Can't even feel wash boards in it.

To each his own as far as a diesel. To me, and where I live, it's a no-brainer. Gas stations are few and far between - exactly a week ago I took a photo of my rig beneath a sign warning the next fuel was 111 miles. In every rig I own I keep a log book in which everything is written down, oil changes, wiper blade changes, fuel fillups, etc. So the following mileage figures are averages calculated over 5,000 miles. Up until two years ago I had a Ford with the 460/5 speed manual. It got 12 mpg. I now have a 2007 E-350 with the V-10 and 5 speed automatic. It averages 12.1 mpg. My pickup (Cummins/Ram) averages 18.8 mpg. So, considering I will use 30 gallons before needing to fill up:

12.1 mpg X 30 gallons = 363 miles
18.8 mpg X 30 gallons = 564 miles

That to me, my friend, is a significant figure. Two hundred miles further on a tank of fuel means I plan trips differently depending on whether I'm in the diesel or the gas rig. Out here, any remote ranch will have diesel if you get in a bind. None will carry gasoline.

To carry that further, let's look at the price difference to drive 1,000 miles at current prices in my area:

@ 12.1 mpg = 82.6 gallons @ $3.08/gallon = $255
@ 18.8 mpg = 53.2 gallons @ $3.18/gallon = $169

So I'm saving nearly a hundred dollars in fuel costs every time I put on 1000 miles. And that's at today's prices. Until recently, and for the last 5 months, diesel was running up to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than gas here.

But I don't want to hijack this thread. If something like the above pickup is your thing, go for it! It's just not practical for me. All I was trying to say was that if Chrysler was looking to increase sales (and they'd better be, looking at the latest financial figures compared to the other auto makers), they need to offer more of what people are asking for. And more engine choices is one of those things.

haven

Expedition Leader
The big limitation of the Raptor and the Ram Runner for ExPo use is the cargo capacity, which is around 1000 lbs. Could work for a crew of marathon runners who pack Powerbars for meals. It's too little for XL-size adventurers who want to take recovery gear and spare tires as well as camping equipment.

But like Scott says, who cares? It's a cool truck. I hope Dodge decides to sell the Ram Runner.

angusdevil

Adventurer
They might be rubbing but not pinched. When the sway bar drops, the strap will tighten and they probably move at the same rate. Not the best but it'll do fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior