ford diesel- need some info

roamingaz

Explorer
I am looking at a 1986 f250 diesel with 110K miles, looks good in pictures.

What kind of engine would it be and reliable?
also what axles normaly came on the f250, I would think the would be pretty heavy with it being a diesel.

Any idea what MPG would average?

I'd assume it would be a 6.9 diesel. Not sure of the mileage. Should have a leaf sprung twin-traction beam front axle that I believe (but could be wrong) is based on a Dana 50.

huntsonora

Explorer
A buddy of mine had one for years. All said, it was a good truck for him, his had the 6.9 in it and he got around 15-16 mpg on the hwy if memory serves me correctly. I'll call him tomorrow and ask him. It was a loud clattering rough riding son of a gun but he beat the piss out of his and it never left him stranded

I'm not sure what axles he had, I'll ask him tomorrow

huntsonora

Explorer
Forgot to mention, he had almost 300,000 miles on it last time I checked.

We were in Montana on a ranch once and the accelorator cable broke, we had to tie the cable it to a wrench and he kept his hand out the window and pulled to get us going, it was a LONG ride back to town over those ranch roads accelerating with that setup

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Not too good on those, low teens.. They actually do a lot better with a turbo kit (expensive) but it is still pretty low if it helps. Altitude also really hits any non turbo diesel hard with smoke in the mountains. I currently drive a 300D Mercedes non turbo that I love but of course I would take the turbo any day of the week over it... If you like it then maybe it will work but it isn't a very ideal diesel IMO if it helps... 7.3 power stroke is really the way to go for not a whole lot more $$ for something in the 90s, if it helps...

A used turbo from ATS/Banks can be found on Craigslist for around $1000 or so usually with the "parts" truck. I had grand schemes of my own on building one as this is my favorite body style of Ford F250 and F350.

Rear Axle will be a 10.25 Sterling/Ford and the front will be a D44HD or a D50.

Can't say too much about the mileage as I've never owned a 6.9L only the 7.3L.

Good sources of info:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had that exact truck in a 460 ci. The front axle is a TTB based on a Dana 44. They tend to wander and the seal splitting the axles is problematic with fluid leakage. Typical lousy brakes like all the big three of that era. Those big trucks came into their own with rear discs. The diesel responds real well to a Banks intercooler and turbo but the enhancement exceeds the value of the truck. As mentioned,they are noisy and smokey. Offroad,they'll beat you to death. If you're sold on a Ford,I'd steer toward a '99-'02 7.3 F-250-350. The '02 especially as they worked the bugs out of the rear seal leakage and turbo platform caving in. My friends have had great luck with those years. A cheap Bully Dog chip wakes them right up with gobs of safe power. Lots of softride suspension kits out there.

psychohawk

Observer
What "regcabguy" said is accurate. Rear axle is probably Dana 60, Sterlings wern't until later years. Reliability is good, and MPG is around 14 if you drive with a little care.

I bought mine back in December and have been very happy ... yes, a SD would have been nice, but for my budget the IDI fit the bill.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I owned a 1983 F250 6.9L diesel for many years. The rear is a Dana 60. The front end is problematic if you drive on a lot of bad roads. Hard to keep aligned and will eat tires if not aligned properly. This is the single weak spot on this truck. The engine is bullet proof as long as you do the filters and fluids on some kind of regular schedule. I bought mine brand new, and last time I checked (with the fourth owner) it is still on the road - must be over 1/2 a million miles my now...

UHAULER

Explorer
My 93 is my second IDI, the first one was an 84 with the 6.9 and c-6 tranny with 4.10 gears. It was a little low geared with stock tires and no overdrive. I believe I got about 15 mpg with that one. The 84 had I believe a dana 60HD rear,with 1.5" 35 spline axles.I think they changed over to the sterling rear in 85-86. My 93 with the 7.3 and zf 5 speed with 4.10 gears gets about 15 mpg with the big box on the back and 600# of dirtbike/camping gear inside. I'll make you a deal on mine......

Rear axle is probably Dana 60, Sterlings wern't until later years.

Fact: This was the first Sterling axle used under a Ford 3/4- or 1-ton pickup
Found under: '85-'92 F-250 and F-350
Type: Full-float, semi-float (depending on gross vehicle weight)

Strapped under many 3/4- and 1-ton Ford pickups are rear axles that are somewhat mysterious. Often referred to as the Sterling 10.25- or 10.50-inch axles, they've been used in the vast majority of aforementioned trucks since the mid-'80s, yet most folks don't know much about them.

Ford Motor Company probably prefers that these axles be referred to as the Ford 10.25- or 10.50-inch, but they've picked up the nickname Sterling because they're manufactured in Sterling, Michigan, by Visteon, a Ford supplier. We're going to jump on the bandwagon and call them Sterling axles because that's what most people call 'em.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_0506_ford_1025_1050_inch_axle_tips/index.html

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I have an 85 E250 6.9...turbo'd by me 2 years ago..cost $1000 including turbo rebuild..

rear can be a D60 or D70 depending on HD or not..(or whatever the plant had layin around)...

runs on anything..waste motor oil..waste veg oil...kersosene..tiki-torch fuel (scented kero)...oh..and diesel if ya want..

BULLETPROOF motor...300K easy...mines got 146K as of today..and its just broken in...

13-17mpg dependin on you and the spedo...better with turbo and new injectors/injection pump...(due about 100K intervals..75K to keep them at their peak)...

easy to fix if theres a problem...simple to run...durable..

it should have the TTB 50...as stated its got some issues...but mainly ya wanna rotate your tires alot..the ttb tends to promote tire wear on the fronts...all parts still available for the WHOLE truck...alot instock at local stores...they used those engines in school busses and dumptrucks so theres alot of bigtruck shops that have parts for them...

a few of the turbos have parts that are unavailable..but their guys can easily upgrade them to the newer seals (shout out to SCHIED DIESEL in INDIANA for doin great work!!)....and get ya back on the road quickly..

I paid $1500 for my van...got easily $3000 into her...wouldnt sell her for $5000!!...cant buy one thats so good...unless its a 7.3 powerstroke...but alas..mines all cleaned up now!!..

Rot Box

Explorer
TTB dana 50 would be optional in the front and the rear will likely be the Sterling. If it is a super cab then it will likely have the TTB50 option... The D44 based TTB axle is a pile and they eat balljoints like candy but I don't mind the 50 it seems to work just fine in comparison. You can swap in a Dana 60 out of an F350 with very little effort. I actually put a 78 Ford solid axle D44 in my 86 and it worked ok.

Transmissions (T18 manual or C6 auto) are bombproof as is the motor. You would likely want to install new head gaskets and bolts/studs if you add a turbocharger. I have bought several aftermarket ATS units for under $500 in good shape and used ones seem to be everywhere. With any of the turbo's out there these motors make great power my friends just dyno'ed 220RWH with a non wastegated ATS unit.

The engine is right there with the 5.9 Cummins for reliability and simplicity imo. They will pass 300k easily with proper pm. The injection system is very easy to service and cheap to replace compared to the Power Stroke.

www.oilburners.net is a great forum to join.

psychohawk

Observer
Hey, forgot to mention, a popular upgrade for the f250 is to pull a Dana 60 front axle from a F350 and replace your TTB front end.

My truck, obviously a little newer, has twin Dana 60s.

Also, had a road trip last night and measured the db (via a iPhone ap) and at 70 MPH I was averaging 86 db.

Good luck in your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94