Bill Burke article on Bad Eggs

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I would love it if ATV and off-road motorcycle riders had to be licensed. At the very least, it would provide much-needed funds for education and enforcement. ATV riders tend not to join clubs, and therefore aren't always subject to the same peer-pressure (in the most positive sense) to do the right thing. The price of entry is low, and very few (if any) modifications are needed, further keeping down the costs and reasons for banding together. Without licensing, people society deems unfit to drive on streets can still operate ATVs. Again, the vast majority of owners are responsible, but a few bad apples can spoil everyone's fun. At least in the ATV world, some of that can be attributed to ignorance.

To be honest, I agree with Scott that the internet has had a mostly negative effect on wheeling. Instead of getting more organized, we've fragmented into clusters of non-affiliated wheelers that answer to nobody. Word spreads far and wide about particular trails, vastly increasing traffic and impact. Web board wheeling seems to be the way of the future. Without responsible individuals running those trips, it will only get worse.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
What are the current laws regarding drivers' licensing on non-improved roads (trails) in various western states?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have been following this post but just now read the letter. I do have to agree with BB, but I also have to agree with those on this board who think that perhaps his approach is a bit off base. Something does have to be done about it and enforcement seems the most logical way, but again there is a funding issue. I will not get off on a rant here, but there are many suggestions here, but it is a metter of implementation.

Scott, I believe in AZ all drivers must be licensed and all vehicles must be licensed and insured to be operated on public roads. But then again, there is the matter of enforcement. The funds just aren't there to pay the officers to do the enforcing.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Alaska Mike said:
Who decides what is and isn't too powerful/big? That's my issue here. Will someday my 33"-shod rig be considered excessive, since it exceeds the original configuration? I'm no fan of 95% of the buggies out there, since they serve no real functional purpose (other than to feed their owners egos). However, the issue isn't really with the tool, it's with the tool behind the wheel. Properly used, buggies can be extremely low impact. The problem occurs when the owner doesn't feel properly challenged and deviates from an approved route. Unfortunately, you can't legislate common sense or personal responsibility.

Back to my example. Some weapons fire too powerful a projectile to be used safely or without damage to the equipment at the range. For example, no rifles over a certain calibre at an indoor pistol range. The rounds would go through the trap instead of into it.

And some buggys are running around on 3 ton axles that are too wide for the Jeep trails they are running on. That is the type of restrictions I'm talking about, mainly having to do with width.

I go wheeling at a local OHV spot where some tracks are only wide enough for bikes, some for bikes and ATV's, and some for Jeeps and other 4wd vehicles. It is a tight squeeze in many parts for the Land Cruiser. But you don't see me trying to drive on the bike and ATV tracks. Those are off limits to wider vehicles for good reason.

There are plenty of rock piles around. Open a few more up for the buggys to play on. That is what they want anyways.

And no, you can't legislate common sense, but you can fund law enforcement officers. One visible cop patroling an OHV area makes a huge difference.

Seriously, they are going to add several thousand more Border Patrol agents every year for the next several years. And the BLM will get none. It makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne