Curtains? Post your solution

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Are you simply trying to block out the window while you camp and have some privacy, or are you also going to be doing some stealth camping and want to block out all light coming from inside the camper?

Just asking because one product we found and swear by is what the big Class A motorhomes use to block out the fronts of their coaches that are all glass.

The covers are made by Best RV in San Diego. They're pretty cheap considering how well they work and can be sewn in a bunch of different colors. Best part is you give them your dimensions and they make them to spec.

Here is why they're so cool. The cover goes on the outside of the window and blocks UV light from getting onto the glass and heating up the inside of the camper.

We had them made because we drycamp 99% of the time and will leave the camper in the sun so our solar panels are soaking up sun to keep our bank of batteries powered.

This meant that the inside of the camper got pretty hot during the day while we'd be out hiking. These made a world of difference. Plus, they block anyone from seeing inside the vehicle during the day time.

At night, people can see in if there is a light on inside the vehicle, so a simple curtain of any type will take care of that. You can see out through them while they're on the windows and the best part, we've had them on the windows for 2 years now and never had any issues with them flapping, tearing or coming off.

Here is a link to our full review of them being installed on the camper with a link to Best RV. It also has a bunch of photos so you'll get the idea

Terrainist

Explorer
Boy, there is a wealth of ideas showing up in this thread for things I have been mulling over and trying to nail down for awhile now. Thanks for posting on the screens.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Herbie, what did you end up using for a curtain system? I want to try and use the Safari for sleeping.

My mild conversion so far consists of folded seats and Action Packers with air mattresses, lol.

Jason

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I started down the path of using small curtain tracks from curtain-tracks.com I cut them to length and did a little light work with a file to fit them around pieces of the window hardware, etc., then fastened them directly to the window tops with low-profile 3M dual-lock. (I wanted to be able to remove them since the window trim would prevent removing/replacing the rollers, etc.) Unfortunately, I ordered ceiling-mount track instead of wall-mount track, so I was getting some binding, etc. when I tried to use it. Sadly, I don't think I have a good picture handy for how it came out, but it's very unobtrusive looking. Fits in very well.

For the last few trips, I've just had big pieces of Reflectix cut to shape and friction-fit into the windows, but when I finish the rest of my interior rebuild, I'll order the correct track (something like this: http://www.curtain-tracks.com/hardware/wall/recmar-3296-8-aluminum-curtain-track-8-ft.html) and re-do the rails and hang new curtains.

Hope that helps.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Cool, thanks! I might go with something friction-fit, too. I've also been thinking of buying a basic sewing machine for little projects like this and making reusable gift bags, etc.

Jason

aws140

Observer
Quick, cheap, and easy:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stainless-steel-pin-hooks-pkg-of-14/14765

Been using these, some free curtain rods and sun blocking curtains my buddy was throwing away. Just slide behind the inner trimming and go. Has worked great with doing over 7,000 miles in a month. Initially had a net attached to the rods and too much weight / dogs tore the rods / mounting pins down before I relocated it. Bend the pin back to shape and go!

Also, the mylar / vinyl idea is great. I was originally going to go a similar route with the bubble wrap / mylar insulation from Lowe's, but I like your approach more.

Missiongravity

Not sure if you have any ferrous surfaces available for this application but I sewed up curtains to fit all the windows in my econoline and in each corner of the curtain a neodymium magnet was sewn in to place. All you have to do to deploy or stow them is yank on them and fold them in half and they stick to whatever surface you want them mounted on(provided it is ferrous). Another option for this would be to glue small punch outs or washers where the curtain would affix. I prefer this method over others as you can remove the curtains completely when you don't want them out and simply stow them away. However I have found that mine live on the doors at all times. The neodymium magnets are strong enough to hold the curtains in place even when the popper windows are open on the highway.

Arclight

SAR guy
Those little magnets are awesome. Try to get high-quality, plated ones. They are very strong for their size and don't rust. Another alternative is Velcro. I did my camper shell like this, using just the hook side of the Velcro and letting it stick to the carpeting. But you could just as easily fasten little circles of Velcro to the attachment points.

Arclight

Not sure if you have any ferrous surfaces available for this application but I sewed up curtains to fit all the windows in my econoline and in each corner of the curtain a neodymium magnet was sewn in to place. All you have to do to deploy or stow them is yank on them and fold them in half and they stick to whatever surface you want them mounted on(provided it is ferrous). Another option for this would be to glue small punch outs or washers where the curtain would affix. I prefer this method over others as you can remove the curtains completely when you don't want them out and simply stow them away. However I have found that mine live on the doors at all times. The neodymium magnets are strong enough to hold the curtains in place even when the popper windows are open on the highway.

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
IMG_0593.JPG
I used sash rods for my 2nd and 3rd row of windows, (top and bottom of window) to keep them from hanging into the 'living quarters'. For the large rear hatch window, I used the stretchy cord (found in the same area as the sash rods) with a centre support for the top so it does not sag. I do not currently have anything for the driver/passenger window or windshield but will soon be using the reflective foil/foam sheets used to wrap HVAC ducts (sold at Home Depot) cut to size.
It is a pain in the butt working with windows that are curved and rounded...this would have been much easier in an Astro or full size van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier