Moab Canyonlands Repeaters

tremors834

Adventurer
Anyone know of open VHF/Uhf repeaters local to Moab/Canyonlands? I searched the forum but some of the info is dated.
Is the SINBAD system still online?? Seems that it was/is a very large linked system which covered Moab and Canyonlands.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I believe the Sinbad system is still on line. Their web site is active, and I did make a contact via the system in November when I was in the area.

Link to their website with coverage maps: Sinbad Desert Repeaters

AndrewP

Explorer
I was just in the area 3 weeks ago and the Sinbad system is alive and well. We at all times had access to at least one of the repeaters and often several.

In the Maze, the Mt Ellen (Hanksville) repeater was by far the most useful. It's fully linked to the rest of Sinbad.

http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters.html

There is a new link into the system from the west side of SLC, so you have nearly continuous coverage from I-15, though the swell (I-70) and then to Moab and south to New Mexico. There is even a 440 link I didn't know about but the guys on the system told us about while we were there. I highly recommend anyone visiting the area program all the Sinbad repeaters. Very useful for emergencies, or even just meeting up with late arrivals.

We even had a multiple contacts including another friend checking in from SFO by IRLP-while we were down by Goblin Valley.

Anyway, it's a great system and the guys that run it provide a super service to all Hams in the area.

edit:
Regarding the Moab repeaters, one of the two was working while we were there but it isn't used or monitored much. It's really only useful in the Moab valley and south a bit. There is a rumor on the Sinbad site that the Moab repeater may be linked into Sinbad, but it was not when we were just there.

Last edited:

WhiteH2O

Observer
Looks like I'm reviving this old thread. The newest info I could find is about 4 years old, and I know lots of things change in four years.

I'm heading out into the Maze in two weeks and I would like to leave with as much info as I can get. I will have 2m and 70cm capabilities- does anyone know what (if any) repeaters are accessible down in the Maze?

Looks like my best bets are two from the Sinbad system- Mt. Ellen at 147.080Mhz and Abajo Peak at 146.610 MHz.

Does anyone have any experience with these in the Maze or suggestions on others that should be tried?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Looks like I'm reviving this old thread. The newest info I could find is about 4 years old, and I know lots of things change in four years.

I'm heading out into the Maze in two weeks and I would like to leave with as much info as I can get. I will have 2m and 70cm capabilities- does anyone know what (if any) repeaters are accessible down in the Maze?

Looks like my best bets are two from the Sinbad system- Mt. Ellen at 147.080Mhz and Abajo Peak at 146.610 MHz.

Does anyone have any experience with these in the Maze or suggestions on others that should be tried?

If nothing has changed with them in terms of power output or antennas they cover the Maze quite well for even handhelds

irish_11

Explorer
Perfect, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Just checking to see if you have any input on the repeaters down in Moab. Headed there at the end of the month and want to get my programming down before I head down there. Sounds like Mt. Ellen and Abjo are still the go to repeaters for the Maze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior