NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

zidaro

Explorer
Need advice for my Star.
Anyone add a roofrack rail system to a Northstar or the like?
Like this- http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-truck-rack-tracks-54inch.html
this would allow attachment of loadbars and a tray or other accessories like kayak, mtb...

My Star needs to carry a bit of gear on the roof. The roof is rated to carry 200lbs. Mostly concerned about the rail flarenut attachment and its durability. BEFORE I drill a bunch of holes in my roof.

Northstar states roof is a- "Rolled Aluminum Laminated Roof"- that is all i know. Should i use the flarenuts or sandwich the rail/roof with bolts and fenderwasher sort-of setup? Is there a sheet of plywood under the aluminum for purchase?

DT75FLH

Adventurer
My neighbor had a 09 tundra. I would not worry about the frame.

with there new frame/ tow ratings/eng combo and 13" brakes the trucks are really in 3/4 ton territory.

zidaro

Explorer
Off to CostaRica for a couple weeks :sombrero:, flying not driving. Gonna be GREAT.
Weve gotten a few more quick trips in the Star including one with the Tundra towing my trailer and a couple dirt bikes.

Millpond Campground for a friends 5th b-day.
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

A little Customization of her own:
DSC_0018.jpg

Crap- they both love the Rhino, and these are not cheap:Wow1:
DSC_0020-1.jpg

All has worked great. Got some learning to do, of course. We did get lax and overfill the greywater tank on the third day, which caused a bit of overflow into the camper- quick reactions saved the day. seems like there should be a oneway valve on the drain betw. the trap and tank(there may be and we just kept going w/o knowing better)? anyone know? Will look at it better when i get back.
House battery lasted only 2 nights at very conservative use (almost no lights, just fridge exhaust fan and water pump) im almost certain the fridge fan, which kicks on everytime the fridge does, did it in. A small ~60W solar setup is needed? to be worry-free on extended outtings.
Tundra needs some love in the rear :violent-smiley-031:to be a happy trail rig with the Star onboard.
Met-up with Regcabguy and his fam. while they were up here on tour. His NEW TC650 is NICE, but VERY similar. they had a great time in it -as they should. Was too busy getting ready to vacation to get out and REALLY hang with them, maybe next time?

aires35

Adventurer
thanks for the replies and links on my thread and great write-up on this thread. i work for a group of dealerships in Houston and we also handle rv's. If you have an rv dealer around you, go into their parts departments and grab one of the big rv/camper parts/accessories catalogs. I have one at the house to get ideas for the truck and some things with my boat. Lots of neat little gizmos and gadgets that would probably have much more meaning to you since you actually have a camper (solar panels, controllers and the such).

NothingClever

Explorer
Zidaro, I probably don't have to tell you this but you got a screaming deal on your camper. Bask in your glory, you are the victor.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Need advice for my Star.
Anyone add a roofrack rail system to a Northstar or the like?
Like this- http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-truck-rack-tracks-54inch.html
this would allow attachment of loadbars and a tray or other accessories like kayak, mtb...

My Star needs to carry a bit of gear on the roof. The roof is rated to carry 200lbs. Mostly concerned about the rail flarenut attachment and its durability. BEFORE I drill a bunch of holes in my roof.

Northstar states roof is a- "Rolled Aluminum Laminated Roof"- that is all i know. Should i use the flarenuts or sandwich the rail/roof with bolts and fenderwasher sort-of setup? Is there a sheet of plywood under the aluminum for purchase?

I bolted Yakima artificial gutters to the side of the roof on my Texson/Northstar TS1000. (http://www.etrailer.com/p-Y08001.html) I bolted them straight through the side. I used four on each side and put 4 rails up there with Qik n Easy feet and square tubing. I carry canoes and kayaks up there. I'm much happier putting holes in the side of the roof rather than straight down through the top.
While the roof may be rated for 200 lbs, I recently talked to HECO about the crank lift mechanism. They told me I had to remove the boats before cranking up the roof because it was too much load. That info is in another thread here. (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46127) I'm ignoring their advice since it seems to be working ok. I had to lengthen the crank arm since the short OE crank arm is hard to turn with any load on the roof.

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
The gear on the end of the crank arm seems to be the weakest part, I stripped mine and had to buy a new one.
I imagine thats by design though to prevent breaking anything else.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The gear on the end of the crank arm seems to be the weakest part, I stripped mine and had to buy a new one.
I imagine thats by design though to prevent breaking anything else.

Lots of people on the truck camper forum at RVNet have reported that same thing. I just ordered a crank so I can remove the gear and embed it in the end of a used sailboat winch handle I purchased on Ebay. Got the idea from RVNET.

zidaro

Explorer
Keep the Northstar tech comin'!!
kerry, what are the specs on the handle and what is the advantage? longer arm for leverage?
Still would love to hear opinions on the "best" way to mount a rack on the roof, artificial raingutters are an option but would like modular rails much better.

kerry

Expedition Leader
kerry, what are the specs on the handle and what is the advantage? longer arm for leverage?
Still would love to hear opinions on the "best" way to mount a rack on the roof, artificial raingutters are an option but would like modular rails much better.

The winch handle I'm adapting is 12" long. I had extended my existing crank by attaching a 4" piece of 1" pipe to the handle with hose clamps and sliding a piece of 1/2" pipe inside it. Yes, for additional leverage. It makes raising the roof with boats on top possible with one person. With the standard crank, I couldn't raise the roof without having my wife push up on it at the same time. My roof even by itself is heavier since I have the TS1000.

eugene

Explorer
Lots of people on the truck camper forum at RVNet have reported that same thing. I just ordered a crank so I can remove the gear and embed it in the end of a used sailboat winch handle I purchased on Ebay. Got the idea from RVNET.

The teeth on the gear would still break though. I thought about using some of those gas struts like for the trunk of a car, put a few around to help lift (like 4 wheel camper did).

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
American Camper Sales in Stanton,Ca did my rack install. They used feet from Coleman popup tent trailers and 84" Yakima poles. They drilled straight down through the top near the edges,avoiding the Heco mounting plates inside. All bolts were backed by plates inside securing the install. Before the rack "feet" went down,silicon was gooed on there. Nothing's loosened up or leaked in ten years. I just wish I could afford a new TC850.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles