1980's Ford ranger- I need info

roamingaz

Explorer
I have been looking at Ford rangers and found a several of the older 80's style for cheap, one is a king cab 2wd another is a 2wd diesel and so far my favorite is a long bed 4wd 1983, looks good for the year and has a lot of new parts and appears to have factory dual tanks? 4 cyl. engine should be good mpg how reliable are they. So give me your input good or bad on these trucks, I did a search on here and didn't find anything, just curious why they are not a popular truck.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I got to drive an 80s Ranger as a parts truck back then and I remember it as being pretty woefully underpowered with the 4 cyl engine. I dunno where the technology stands with the 80s Rangers but Travis certainly has done a tremendous job with his early 2000's Ranger.

chasespeed

Explorer
The 2.3 is a great engine, while it wont win you any races, its reliable, and efficient, and parts are available. Its pretty easy to swap a 302 into these as well.

The 4wd, well, there are a TON of parts available for these. For reliability and simplicity, I would contact AutoFab.

If you want more info than that, look around on the Rangerstation, or RDC.

Chase

tommudd

Explorer
I had two Rangers back during that time, first one went 75000 without any problems, then motor issues, last one had three motors in 50,000 miles ( 4 cyl.) so I gave up and went back to full size Fords and Jeeps

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I had two Rangers back during that time, first one went 75000 without any problems, then motor issues, last one had three motors in 50,000 miles ( 4 cyl.) so I gave up and went back to full size Fords and Jeeps

I'm the opposite, with one 2.3 that went 250k, and a 2.5 that currently has 200k... Never had any problems...

1leg

Explorer
It all depend on how the PO took care of it. I wouldn't expect great MPG out of it. Unless you drive slow, it will feel way underpowered, this will cause you to over compensate by putting the pedal to the floor. A friend had one and the best he ever got was around 15mpg (this was a few year back), but he floored it from every light and screamed down the hwy as fast he could.

So plan on a new/rebuilt motor in the future, Change the oil religiously (with good oil), and don’t drive it like a rental and it should last forever.

Digger

Rangers have always been a solid platform. That being said, the best years of these trucks were '86-97 (fuel injected engines with TTB suspension) with the '93-97's being the highest level of refinement while still maintaining off-road capability in stock form. The '93-'97s were available with the big 4.0L V6, stronger manual transmission, Dana 35 TTB front axle and 8.8 rear axle. These trucks were also easy to modify with a straight axle front end.

The 83-'85 models had a decent drivetrain, but they suffered the same problems of most vehicles from those years, underpowered/over-complicated carbureted engines.

After '97, the Rangers switched to the SLA suspension, which was not as rugged off-road and tends to eat ball joints by comparison to the TTB.

roamingaz

Explorer
Great info thanks everyone!

The one I was looking at needs alot minor work, it did have factory 2 fuel tanks kinda a odd feature in a 4 cyl truck. Still looking

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Just in case you're entertaining the idea, yes the turbo 2.3L SVO Mustang & XR4Ti engines fit where the std. 2.3L is sitting. You just loose most of the heater box if you keep the stock turbo position. Two friends have done this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles