Mitsubishi 4D56T into a 1988 Mazda B2600

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
V6 Toyota pick-ups of most vintages. Is essentially the same trans as used in the Supras. I have a Marlin Crawler sitting in the garage ready to bolt to the back of an R150, hence my interest.

tomaco1

Observer
I tried to post it in the Mitsubishi Section because the engine is Mitsu but I screwed up and hit Nissan By Mistake and can't figure out how to move it. Feel free to move it.

I got my intercooler yesterday from a breaker yard in the UK, took forever. Pics tomorrow. I also got the air cleaner box. The intercooler looks very nice.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
V6 Toyota pick-ups of most vintages. Is essentially the same trans as used in the Supras. I have a Marlin Crawler sitting in the garage ready to bolt to the back of an R150, hence my interest.

I'd think one of the Toyota diesels would bolt up to it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Everything that I've read about the diesels that Toyota put in the pick-ups has them as fairly rare in the U.S. and possessing lack-luster performance. The Mitsu badged diesel version of the D50 that I drove was very spry. Impressively so. No doubt partly because someone had monkeyed with the waste gate and it would build 15 psi of boost in a flash.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Everything that I've read about the diesels that Toyota put in the pick-ups has them as fairly rare in the U.S. and possessing lack-luster performance. The Mitsu badged diesel version of the D50 that I drove was very spry. Impressively so. No doubt partly because someone had monkeyed with the waste gate and it would build 15 psi of boost in a flash.

As long as you get the 2L-T or something newer, they have all kinds of power. The 1KZ's are rockets. The Toyota diesels are also way easier to find than the Mitsubishi's, there are lots of JDM companines that import motors and half-cuts. There are also a hand full of companies that sell turn key Toyota conversions.
Here is a whole US based forum dedicated to the Toy diesels... http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/

tomaco1

Observer
Intercooler

Intercooler pictures. I got this from a breaker yard in the UK.

I also got the hood from a 1991 b2600, the one with the rise, and a scoop from a older 300z to get the air to the intercooler.

Attachments

• IMGP0009.JPG
    IMGP0009.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP0010.JPG
    IMGP0010.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 40

tiresmokindad

I am in the process of putting a 4D56T into a 1988 b2600. I chose the 1988 because it supposed to be the easiest swap due to the fact it has a mitsubishi petrol engine in it already and shares engine mounts( I hope) late model 4d56T seems to be a bit different, see pics. The oil pan also can be swapped with some minor mods. Other modes include extending the oil pickup to suit the petrol oil pan which much be used to fit the diesel into the b2600.
More to come.

I also chose the Mazda because I have a 1993 Mazda B2600i extended cab which I love, but I have recently been bitten by the diesel smell, I mean bug fender flare!
after converting my Land Rover 90 to a diesel, I really wanted to do the same for my Mazda.

Basically I did it. Before my old Mitsubisho 4D56T was converted into a 1988 Mazda B2600. As a result, I really like it! :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

tomaco1

Observer
Engine is in!

The engine sits in the engine bay very nice, one small problem, the hard Power steering hoses foul the A/C pump a bit near the steering box.
The upper Power steering hoses by the pump need to be fabed along with the A/C hoses at the pump. Other than that it looks pretty strait forward.
It had Cruise control, I wonder if it could be hooked up to the diesel?

Attachments

• IMGP0024.JPG
    IMGP0024.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMGP0025.JPG
    IMGP0025.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMGP0026.JPG
    IMGP0026.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMGP0027.JPG
    IMGP0027.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 72

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Looks good!!! I'm sure the cruise could be made to work pretty easy with a custom bracket to hold the cable and tap into a vacume source somewhere.

Viggen

Just here...
What do you plan on doing about the power brakes? Hydroboost of some sort or just a vacuum motor of some sort? Also, what about tach drive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online