Classic expedition vehicles need new homes

wantapinz2

Observer
For those looking for that next big project. Here is the link I use to search for hard to find items on craigslist like a used Flippac for my m725. I put in kaiser m725 and hit search: http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&safe=off&client=pub-0799606475875391&cof=FORID%3A13%3BAH%3Aleft%3BCX%3AAtpservices%2520Nationwide%2520craigslist%2520search%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fintl%2Fen%2Fimages%2Flogos%2Fcustom_search_logo_sm.gif%3BLH%3A30%3BLP%3A1%3BVLC%3A%23551a8b%3BDIV%3A%23cccccc%3B&adkw=AELymgUwGgeVneRsKX-0HQLWlmDM83tPXzhyZi9Ql0m_KlHFDJV7yNGlXl79pSAF9sDep4O9ljmC-2Eu_W5zVgatvj-46WdevKdWaJpucWEWzBvzOX0sVVWXcNSJlzIlSA0jKeOeNACg&boostcse=0&q=kaiser+m725&btnG=Search&cx=007695268203510500512%3Amkr2kecxruc

some of the finds have already expired but it's cool to search all the craigslist in one shot. Just don't go looking for a used Flippac ,they are hard enough to find as it is. Here is a photoshop picture of what I want to do.
m725camper.png

By wantapinz2 at 2010-04-19[/IMG]

Cheers

wantapinz2

Observer
DIY expedition vehicle with trailer

That,s for all the new craigslist search engines. I like www.craiglook.com best. However the main idea to this post was to show what I think is a little known, under appreciated vehicle; the Kaiser Jeep m725 ambulance. The m725 is cousin to the m715 pick up, both are 1 1/4 ton Vietnam era military trucks. Most have low miles and can be bought for $1500-$5000. For the DIY'er who can do drivetrain and axle swaps, perhaps from an early 90's Dodge 250 diesel or some other full sized truck, you will have an awesome expedition vehicle. Granted it's a lot of work but the up front cost is low. Here is a good candidate http://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/1753541964.html For more info check out www.m715zone.com

Here is an old ad I saved for inspiration after I bought mine
68m725jeep.pdf

alosix

Expedition Leader
You kinda have to love an M truck to deal with an M truck :)

I wouldn't really want to take a 'stock' M truck on an expedition. As much as I loved that little tornado for being way ahead of its time (heck its more advanced than my TJ's I6).. It was well ahead of its time and has some quirks :)

Stock brakes are terrible, the lack of self adjustment would drive anyone that didn't grow up driving cars back then insane.

No power steering and 35"+ tires stock gives you a good workout.

Now, with a little work they can be pretty normal, and pretty useful.

The best bet would be to find a CUCV with a solid drivetrain and swap all of that into it. It'll still be pretty slow, but it should be reliable, mostly efficient, and you can even get motor mount kits from Novak for that application.

They are also going to ride like an old army truck stock, but with a little work they can be pretty reasonable as well. My 725 rides better than my TJ, but it also benefits from a dodge 5 link front end.

So, they aren't for everyone, but with some blood, sweat, tears (and in my case a divorce :) ) they can be turned into a pretty decent truck for not a whole lot of $$

Jason

wantapinz2

Observer
M-series

Hey Alosix,

I agree the stock trucks are a little harsh on the back side. I really like your
set up. Did you use Dodge ram 1500 spring set up or the heavy duty ram2500 springs? Finding someone who is parting out a ram truck and has a plasma cutter to cut the bracket off, is the hard part. I have a pair of chevy 4x4 axels waiting to be installed. I've seen a couple of ford fabtech front kits used on the m715's with good results .

If you still need to take some measuments of my truck, let me know.

alosix

Expedition Leader
it seemed like those spring buckets too for ever to get off of the front end of the 2500 we were working with.

We were doing some work for a 'used auto parts yard' (they get offended if you call them junk yards :) )...

So as part of payment for a project they dropped off the front of a Light Duty 2500 frame with the suspension/axle/steering still attached. Just sawzalled off.

IIRC we just used a grinder/die grinder with cut off wheels and a chisel to get the mounts off. It took quite a while to get the spring buckets off clean.

Having the whole frame/front end together of the donor truck was priceless for getting it setup correctly though.

The nice part there was the front frame was nearly the same width as the dodge truck. I tacked them up in position and threw the axle under it. Everything just fit, it was scary.

The springs are off a light duty 2500 (has a D44 instead of a D60) it had a V8 (5.2 or 5.9). I believe that they are the lightest of the springs that came in a 2500 dodge and are similar, if not the same, as the front springs used in the 1500 4x4 trucks.

Right now my front sits a little high, but I think that will balance out shortly.

Jason

sojourner

Observer
It's always nice to know there's others are crazy as myself for building one of these. The red one has been on my radar for a while. I haven't seen it yet but may if I can find some time during a Saturday.

Mine is moving along as I have the 6bt and CUCV axles in. I got some work in a few weeks ago but have been very busy and haven't been able to get more time on the motor.
The nice part there was the front frame was nearly the same width as the dodge truck. I tacked them up in position and threw the axle under it. Everything just fit, it was scary.
This also helps with the cummins swap, the stock dodge crossmember/motor mount fits right in the M frame.
motormount.jpg

Here's a couple more pics
cumminsin.jpg

axleswap5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94