Best year Trooper?

double moo

Adventurer
Lots of room in the rear seats of the 2nd gen. I'm 6'0, my boys are both 6'1 and we prefer to take the '93 troop over our newer vehicles due to the leg room in back. Slide the front passenger up a couple of inches, then I recline the rear seat a bit, drop the armrest, and have enough room to cross my legs and take a nap! We've had an '02 Trailblazer, '06 Pathfinder, and '03 Dodge quadcab over the past few years (still have the Pathy) - all the while keeping the Trooper - if we travel any distance as a family it's in the Troop!!

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Great to know guys, I told the wife and by looking at pics she doesnt believe it. If anyone has a 2nd gen and a 6'2" or taller buddy you can stuff in the back set with the front all the way back and take a pic, I'll paypal you a whole dollar! Meanwhile I'll look for one close enough to actually test fit the giant kids in.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
So I've been shopping, were the revisions later enough to consider it having a 3rd gen or was the grille changed and everything else stayed the same so there are only 2 generations?

Wareagle

Observer
ASide from the newer grill, the 98+ has a different engine (3.5l), different axles (4.30), different xfr case options (B&W torque on demand or IIRC aisin) and a different 5spd tranny In my opinion, the pre-98 has more reliable major components.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Looked at a 95 today, it was a bucket but the rear seat is definitely much bigger than the 80 series. With the front seat all the way back I was very comfortable in back, and the front seats have way more room than the 80 even with the Landtank seat bracket extenders. I was pretty impressed with the interior room overall, but would have to see a better example to bother taking it for a drive as this one sounded like it was hurting in the mechanical department and I didnt want to bother test driving it.

EDIT: And why doesnt Isuzu have its own forum like Nissan and Mitsubishi?

Last edited:

michaelross

My dad still has his 1986 trooper but not in very good shape anymore.. He used to drive it to pick us up. But I noticed the rear spoiler was already gone.

Last edited:

spaceace072003

Rack

I like the First Generation (1G) Troopers from '85-'91 because of the shape and size. My preference is the '88-'91 with 2.6L EFI engine (4 cylinder, 4ZE1) with the manual 5-speed tranny because it's pretty zippy and efficient. I still get 20mpg highway with over 200k miles on the odometer.

The axles on these trucks are geared 4.56:1, and the Isuzu 12-bolt rear axle (not to be confused with the GM Corporate 12-bolt axle) is tough. Plus these 1988-1991 trucks have 4-wheel disk brakes--much earlier than most other manufacturers put 4-wheel disks on their trucks/SUV.

Some models came with a limited-slip rear end, too. Look for option code G80 on the data plate on the firewall under the hood, drivers side.

A possible down-side to the 4ZE1 is the head gasket; Reputation is that the castings were poor early--and were corrected in later productions. You will find the casting number, 1 through 6 IIRC, on the head near the "4ZE1" casting.

I replaced the head with an aftermarket unit about 4 years ago when the gasket blew. Probably could have simply replaced the gasket since I'm certain there was no over-heating involved.

If I were looking to buy another 1G Trooper, I would be most concerned about rust or corrosion in two places: first in the bottom seal of the rear doors, then under the hood at the battery tray I'd recommend checking the side windows and windshield weatherstrip, too, but of less concern because those aren't "typical" spots. Of course you want to check the frame rails where suspension and body mounts are located.

The 4ZE1 will last many many years with proper maintenance (oil, filters, timing belt change at intervals). I'm over 200k miles with mine and several on PlanetIsuzoo have exceeded 300k miles.

Depending on location and vehicle condition, running 1G Troopers can be had for less than $2000. Most I see are in the $1000-$1500 range. One often sees "needs head gasket" classified ads for cheap, say $500. There are lots of budget-built Troopers out there. Very reliable and quite capable, too.

Good luck!

100_2968.jpg

I was wondering what type of roof rack you have on your rig....

justbecause

perpetually lost
I am looking at a 98, it has the 3.5, auto, does not have TOD it has push button 4wd, with shifter for 4h-4lo.

cloth seats, no sun roof, is that kind of like finding a poverty pack fzj80? or was TOD not actually "standard"

Hatfield

Observer
I was wondering what type of roof rack you have on your rig....
It's a baja rack

I am looking at a 98, it has the 3.5, auto, does not have TOD it has push button 4wd, with shifter for 4h-4lo.

cloth seats, no sun roof, is that kind of like finding a poverty pack fzj80? or was TOD not actually "standard"

I was under the impression that TOD was standard, but the 99 I just got has a TOD sticker in the back window like it was an option or something special. It has 261k on it FYI, so the 3.5s can make it on up there in mileage.

justbecause

perpetually lost
It's a baja rack

I was under the impression that TOD was standard, but the 99 I just got has a TOD sticker in the back window like it was an option or something special. It has 261k on it FYI, so the 3.5s can make it on up there in mileage.

Im checking out your build on planet.
that forum isnt as user friendly as ih8mud like I am used to.

did you upgrade torsion bars? I couldnt search on the planet.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk

That doesn't mean you don't have the TOD transfer case. The controls in my old 99 with TOD were exactly as you describe.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I was under the impression that TOD was standard, but the 99 I just got has a TOD sticker in the back window like it was an option or something special.

Manual transmission models did not have the TOD transfer case. TOD was standard with the auto tranny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles