Best year Trooper?

Hatfield

Observer
Im checking out your build on planet.
that forum isnt as user friendly as ih8mud like I am used to.

did you upgrade torsion bars? I couldnt search on the planet.

Know what you mean, the planets search isn't the best. Nope didn't upgrade tbars, and I think it rides just fine. I would like to drive a Trooper with the upgraded bars and see what the difference is.

So the Trooper in question doesn't have the TOD output display on the cluster? Interesting, does it have a 4wd Auto button on the dash above the AC controls?

Manual transmission models did not have the TOD transfer case. TOD was standard with the auto tranny.

Forgot about manuals, but I believe this one is an auto he's looking at.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Know what you mean, the planets search isn't the best. Nope didn't upgrade tbars, and I think it rides just fine. I would like to drive a Trooper with the upgraded bars and see what the difference is.

So the Trooper in question doesn't have the TOD output display on the cluster? Interesting, does it have a 4wd Auto button on the dash above the AC controls?

That's true.

Ill check tomorrow, I think I have made up my mind that I am going to get it.
AFAIK it just has a 4wd button that doesnt say anything about auto. except for the button location it seems to be the same 4wd system as my girl friends 00 rodeo.

Ill snap a few pictures when/if I go pick it up.

Jamacee

Observer
Resurrection time!

justbecause forgot to upload those pics and I think he ended up with a 97.

I was just on searching b/c I narrowed down a couple options on a 01 5spd 128k for $3500 and a 02 5spd w/ 155k and guy might go down to $3500 hopefully $3k. Then all of a sudden a sweet 91 popped up for $2800obo which I think is steep but has lots of records 2.8 5spd and 155k (new heads but no confirmation on bottom end rebuild)

Are the 2.8's as gutless as people say? I personally like 1G body style best and the 2.5gen the least but I would drive either.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Are the 2.8's as gutless as people say? I personally like 1G body style best and the 2.5gen the least but I would drive either.
In short, YES. The 2.8 is a completely gutless motor. A 1st gen Trooper in stock form with the 2.8 does OK, but add a mild lift, tires, winch bumper and roof rack, and you will be sorry. The 2.6 is a much better option if you want to keep the motor stock.

That said, an upgrade to a 3.4 V6 is the route you will ultimately want to go with a 2.8 1st gen, which will give you enough power.

HTH - Bart

justbecause

perpetually lost
I didnt get a picture of that 98, but I know it did not have TOD. or at the very least someone swapped a non-tod gauge cluster in.

I did get a 97 trooper, and after the snow storm last week I actually found myself wanting TOD... It may not have helped but I would like to see how it does. I didnt get the trooper out then because I have a busted CV and a pair of new ball joints waiting to be installed.
Our rodeo did fine, but it was slippery. I had to put it in low to go down one hill because breaking wasnt an option. That is what got the wheels turning about TOD.

I would love to see the expo staff do a write up and compare an 01 trooper with an 01 100 series.

96LTDrus

Observer
Reviving this thread, I'm looking at a 1995 "S" model with a 5spd soon, wanted to get the scoop from folks here. It's a 2 owner truck with 170k and full maintenance records. Anything in particular to look out for? I want to confirm that the timing belt is current and that the clutch is in good shape. These are known for noisy HLAs so I will listen for that as well. Any sticking 4wd solenoids or anything like that? The transfer case is a lever operated unit if I'm not mistaken, but the hubs are automatic?

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
That is a pretty bulletproof combo, no real special things to look for on that one, just look at it like any used vehicle. You already know about the hydraulic lifter tick which is more of an annoyance than anything. Look for frame rust, especially the rear crossmember.

Transfer case is gear-driven and lever-operated (BTW 3:1 crawler gears are available from Independent4x). They come from the factory with automatic hubs. You can swap in junkyard Aisin manual hubs which are pretty bulletproof, or new Superwinches that are not bulletproof but have a warranty. Warns are available too.

95 is the last year for OBD I, but the first year for air bags and the new interior.

Last edited:

96LTDrus

Observer
That is a pretty bulletproof combo, no real special things to look for on that one, just look at it like any used vehicle. You already know about the hydraulic lifter tick which is more of an annoyance than anything. Look for frame rust, especially the rear crossmember.

Transfer case is gear-driven and lever-operated (BTW 3:1 crawler gears are available from Independent4x). They come from the factory with automatic hubs. You can swap in junkyard Aisin manual hubs which are pretty bulletproof, or new Superwinches that are not bulletproof but have a warranty. Warns are available too.

95 is the last year for OBD I, but the first year for air bags and the new interior.

Awesome, glad to hear it. What are parts cost and availability for these vs. a 3rd gen 4runner for example (what I currently drive)?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
There are still quite a few Troopers on the road...I haven't had any problems with regular parts. Dunno how they compare pricewise, I would imagine the aftermarket parts are about the same. Factory stuff is getting somewhat harder to find, but there are still some sources out there. The planetisuzoo.com forum is a great info resource.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Reviving this thread, I'm looking at a 1995 "S" model with a 5spd soon, wanted to get the scoop from folks here. It's a 2 owner truck with 170k and full maintenance records.
Especially with the maintenance history known I wouldn't worry about the mileage at all. My Trooper will turn 160K shortly, on the way to Colorado for an exploration of the Rockies. I drive it to Moab every year too. I have replaced wear parts like ball joints and tie rods, but really they are have sturdy drivetrains.
You can fit 32" tires with no lift, 33" with very small lift.
Fortunately ARB/OME makes stuff for Troopers. Independent4x has some stuff too.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
There are some first gens that had Aisin transmissions that are quite good. The GM auto tranny in most Troopers is OK if maintained properly, but not many people maintain their transmissions properly.

justbecause

perpetually lost
the PO says he took care of the one in mine.
the GMs are too hit or miss to take such a big risk on. some make it 300k, most dont.

mine didnt make it 150. the big tires + added drag doesnt do them any favors either.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Yup, my parents both recently bought later model Troopers (2000 and 2001) and both of them either have, or had transmission issues.

Bart

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My 2001 auto tranny has been fine. 170k+ miles. I pull a small 4x8 trailer full of stuff fairly regularly, too.

Not saying it won't eventually go out, but it works now, and isn't showing any signs of poopin' the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles