Best year Trooper?

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I think with the autos, it all comes down to proper, timely maintenance. I think a lot of people don't EVER change the fluid or filter and then after 130,000 miles they start having issues and wonder why.

Bart

I enjoyed reading this thread. I am going to look at this tomorrow. One owner 1993 Trooper. What do you guys think? Seller wants $2,000 firm.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4679109182.html

00S0S_qKLAonodEA_600x450.jpg

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
I enjoyed reading this thread. I am going to look at this tomorrow. One owner 1993 Trooper. What do you guys think? Seller wants $2,000 firm.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4679109182.html

00S0S_qKLAonodEA_600x450.jpg

Looks good for a 93 in the shade with only one photo. JK! Really you'd have to go look at it closer. Most of my friends, and I myself, in fact love our trooper. I have a 92 and I have 2 friends with 92's as well. 2 of the 3, including mine, have leaking issues with the back door. Ours are due to heavy use on gravel roads, and the spare tire slightly twist the door itself out from the frame. There are things you can do to fix it. So, if you are interested in it, make sure you look at the carpet just inside the back door. Looking for water marks and rust on the floor anchor.

In any case, if it is a city car, there is a lesser chance of it having that issue. Another thing to keep in mind is that, while not impossible, replacement parts seem to becoming harder to find from the parts stores. So, with time, they will probably get even more sparse. Not trying to scare you off, just trying to give you a fuller picture of owning one of these very cool rigs.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Because they are old.

Not that many were produced.

Parts are hard to find.

The 4cyls blow headgaskets like the v6s blow autos.

Rust.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
1st gen Troopers are solid rigs. My only gripe about gen1 Troopers is that they are a little underpowered once you go from this:
01.jpg

to this:
175.jpg

Bart

jasonshafer

another for the group to consider...

Reading this inspired me to go on the hunt for my own trooper. I owned a 94 back in college, and sold it cause I couldn't afford the gas tires brakes 4x4 blablabla… the only problem it gave me was when I changed the timing belt and DIDN'T change the tensioner… (don't do that) - it gave me the worst valve noise ever. Had to do the whole job again to put the new tensioner in. Solved the problem. Sold it with only 110k on it.

Anyway… I'm older, wiser, better looking, and I'm ready to own another SUV for adventures. Here's one near me I'm looking into on Friday. He's asking more than it's technically worth, but the new tires/shocks/brakes, recent service, and a recently repaired head gasket has me thinking this is ready to roll for a while before the next major incident. Plus the stereo would be nice :) It's a 94 5spd w/ the SOHC.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4745370360.html

Things I'm looking for are the feel of the clutch, how cold the AC blows (I'm a desert rat!), and if the valves tick… which is something I didn't see any of you mention yet… anyone have experience with this? Tappet noises? Something about hydraulic lash adjusters? Many cite oil grade choices as causes or solutions. I'd love to hear if anyone's experienced this, and what oil you use? Also, is there anything else I should look for on this year/build?

Thanks.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The SOHC has hydraulic lifters that can get varnished up and tick. Not really a significant problem, more of an annoyance. Isuzu suggested 0W30 Mobil One to clean them out and reduce the tick, but it can take a very long time to work. Others have gone with more of a drastic approach and tried running the motor with with ATF or Seafoam or whatever in the oil before changing the oil.

My SOHC doesn't tick much at all, just a little at cold start. Regular oil changes and synthetic oil are good prevention.

Looking at the ad, sounds like the guy took pretty good care of it, but even though he had the radiator "serviced" it is 20 years old. I would consider just replacing the rad...you can get a new one for less than $100 shipped...cheap insurance against another overheat and head gasket.

Make sure the tranny/t-case "service" mentioned used motor oil, not gear lube.

jasonshafer

welp! I checked out that 94, and it was a wash... exterior had lots of deep dings and even a few holes. Rust was an issue. Engine had several "zip tie" style fixes that (although I'm not above using zip ties) made the whole truck look like it wasn't taken care of nearly as good as the add said it was...

I'll be keeping my eye open for SOHC manual. sounds like '95 would be best, but i'd take a 93/94.

newworld2004

Adventurer
trooper.jpgI bought my 1993 3.2 DOHC with 230K on original engine one year and half ago, looking for 5 SPD, but found auto, and it is two door short base one. I rebuilt trans, put breaks all around it is good to go now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne