Best year Trooper?

Saracen

Above is my 1993 Trooper 3,2. I am a member of a historical military vehicle display club and amongst proper military hardware I own, we display the Trooper in UN guise as used in Chad (and other North African theatres) by the French (me pictured) and other forces from the mid 80's to the nineties. When the shows are over, the magnetic decals come off and its a regular driver again!

Apart from being a bit thirsty..I just love this truck for all it can do, from towing to a very capable offroader.

Regards from sunny South Africa!

1BigJimmy

I am a 1 Gen fan and have just purchased my third one to start a build on it. My first was a 88, 2.6L, M/T, that I sold with 268k on it and was still running strong. The only issue it ever had, and how it came into my possession was the previous owner over heated it and cracked the head, a common 2.6L (4ZE1) issue. My next was a 91, 2.6L, M/T, and the only major thing I ever did on it was maintenance and a transmission transfer case reseal. My current one is a 91, 2.6L, M/T, and I bought it because the previous owner took the engine apart and decided sell the car instead of finishing it. I have a engine for it I am going to use to get it going and then my plans are to slowly build my other engine into a turbocharged 2.6L for it. If it is a 1 Gen and a 2.6L you need to keep up with valve adjustments so it doesn't burn exhaust valves, maintain your cooling system because of the cylinder head, and just keep up with your maintenance and the thing will last you for a long, long time. If it is the 2.8L, these were prone to oil leaks, (It's a GM go figure,) but they were pretty bullet proof. I don't remember the stats but the torque/HP ratings were pretty similar and to drive felt the same. The 2.8L towed a little better, just a little. As far as the transmissions they were all pretty good for the 1 Gens, just do the services. The thing now is that they have been around so long no that if you are looking at one and wanted one with an auto transmission you should definitely go get it checked out. Who knows if the owners have been doing what they have been doing what they were supposed to.

I worked at Isuzu dealerships during these years and have worked on a lot of these. But there is the caveat that it was in So Calif. and they were not going through the weather that some of the rest of the country goes through so some of the other members may have differing experiences. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles