Front End Squeak

KevX02

Observer
I just bought a 2005 Xterra on tuesday, I love it, I used to have an '02, I've been on the forum a bunch mostly reading, very few posts, so I am rather new...

I have noticed a squeak as I drive about in the front end, I thought maybe the chassie was in need of some moly, so I took it over to the local Genna-n-Rick Lube store to find out the chassie lube spots are all sealed (thats why I didnt see any zerks)... it's ever so slight a squeak. Kid at the store suggested shocks.

Do I need shocks? dealership lube? any advice would be great.

davidshourd

Adventurer
I dont have an Xterra, but a frontier, they have exactly the same front suspension parts. Just to confirm, this is a 2nd gen X, right? Does it occur more when going over bumps, accelerating, turning? likely spot is the bushing on the upper arms. there is no real way to grease the stock arms without pulling them, and that is not worth it. but you could shoot it with some spray silicon based lube, it may help. may as well hit the coil bushing top and bottom while you are under there.

KevX02

Observer
Yes it is a 2nd gen, and bone stock for now.

I will try thanks a bunch... I remember in my 2002 (1st gen) I just pulled the control arms and shocks and torsion bars to lift it because they crapped out on me.

davidshourd

Adventurer
pretty much the same deal getting to teh upper arms on the 2nd gen, just have to deal with coils in lieu of torsion bars. Time to get some PRG or Total Chaos upper arms! grease zinks come on both of those. and maybe some ICON or RadFlo coils to go with em!

Steve450

Squeak

Kevin,

I've had some squeaks from both my frontiers:

On my 2wd 2001, one of the sway bar end link nuts had worked loose about 1/8". It started as a slight squeak that got progressively worse. Once found, I replaced the nyloc nut with a new one, and added a little locktite (can't remember which flavor right off hand.) That seems to have solved the problem.

On my 4wd, I've had two squeaks so far, one from a passenger side control bushing, and the other, which I would have sworn was coming from the front end, was in fact coming from the spare tire. I wedged an approx. 3" x 4" piece of sheet rubber between the spare tire and the body of the truck, and that seems to have solved it. For the other squeak coming from the passenger side control arm bushing, I give it a shot of silicone spray occasionally.

I found both front suspension noises by putting the truck up on jack stands, and then slowly compressing the suspension with a floor jack. . .might be worth a try.

Frontiernet used to have a pretty good thread about squeaks, noises, etc.:

http://tunfs.yuku.com/

Good luck,
Steve

maXTERRA

Adventurer
The second gens, they are NOTORIOUS for squeaky hood latches, due to hood flex and too-soft hood rubber bumpers under the hood.
I've tried a lot of different things to rectify the problem, and just recently added some plastic adhesive-backed cabinet door bumpers (about 1/8" high) under where the rubber meets the radiator support.
The hood is FINALLY quiet!
Easy to diagnose. As you're going down a rough road at lower speed, flip the hood release latch and see if it quits when the hood pops up tothe safety catch?

Sway bar bushings wear out fast too.

tombodad

Adventurer
The second gens, they are NOTORIOUS for squeaky hood latches, due to hood flex and too-soft hood rubber bumpers under the hood.
I've tried a lot of different things to rectify the problem, and just recently added some plastic adhesive-backed cabinet door bumpers (about 1/8" high) under where the rubber meets the radiator support.

what he said.

mitssan

Observer
The hood squeak is a common on for sure, the other problem is the sway bar. The sway bar bushings sit at the front of the truck and pick up allot of road grime. Try lubing those front bushings first.

Maurie

KevX02

Observer
pretty much the same deal getting to teh upper arms on the 2nd gen, just have to deal with coils in lieu of torsion bars. Time to get some PRG or Total Chaos upper arms! grease zinks come on both of those. and maybe some ICON or RadFlo coils to go with em!

PRG has been a very appealing site for me lately.
I sold my over built LX450 to downsize and get something a bit cheaper, (better mpg's, my brother works at a Carmax and was able to get this off the backlot, paying wholesale) the point being, PRG is a temptation as would be any suspension modifications, I told myself I was going to hold off until I was done with school, but we'll see, I am sure I'll cave soon.

KevX02

Observer
When I first fell in love with Xterras it was in Moab years ago, and I do seam to remember a squeak then too, already being notorious.

I'll take some time to figure it out tomorrow and keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the pointers, it helps to have a lot to think about.

KevX02

Observer
Easy to diagnose. As you're going down a rough road at lower speed, flip the hood release latch and see if it quits when the hood pops up tothe safety catch?

Sway bar bushings wear out fast too.

You are the winner, hood latches making the squeak, glad it was only that thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles