$6k dd/expo vehicle?

what would you buy? i am trying to sell my truck (08 taco if any one's interested!) and look for something paid for. i'd like to stay right around 6k. i've been considering soem domestic full sizes. 96 bronco, 96/97 powerstroke, 91 blazer/suburbaban, 93 ramcharger. also looked at wj cherokees. maybe a newer suburban

the kickers. wife, 3 yr old girl, another girl on the way, dog (1 for now. that number could grow at any moment).

i need something for dd, light camping ( 2 nights at the most). daily commute could be from 50 to 120 miles depending on work. irealize my options mentioned above don't leave a whole lot to be desired in the mpg catagory, but if it's paid for that would help ease the pain.

of course, reliablity first and foremost. parts availibilty/easy to work on. function. in that order. thanks

kjp1969

Explorer
Count one strike against a bronco for 2 doors, especially if you're wrestling car seats. Otherwise, its a winner. I'm slowly restoring mine, doing lots of PM, and I'm well under $4k into it.

camp'n_hunt

Observer
try to get a diesel for the MPG

maybe a 90's tahoe or suburban? i have the 96 5.7L vortec and get 10MPG which sucks, i could take some junk out of my trunk.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
1 wife, 1 + children, 1 + dogs, 2 days camping gear = full size 4 door w roof rack. For $6K your pretty much looking at older Suburbans, which isn't that bad! Find a clean solid axel Suburban. Unlimited aftermarket support, parts available on every corner, and probably getting more valuable from now on.

the 2 door thing doesn't completely turn me off. given my list i am going to have some issues that i will have to overcome. the 2 doors may end up being one of those issues.

the gas mileage wouldn't bother me so much if i was puttin gin something that was paid for.

i have looked at and am seriously considering a grand cherokee. my grandpa has run them for years and loves them. i'm not that familiar with them as far as working on them. are they hard to deal with. for a comparison, ilike working on my 4runner. i can understand it.

and the reasons charlie stated are why i like the early sub/blazers. apparently everyone else thinks so as well. these things are getting high. real hard to find one in good shape, i.e. no rust, in central wv. when you do, you'll pay for it.

lstzephyr

wanderer
My vote would be this, put a cummins(20mpg) in it, paint it a simple color, put a full length roof rack on it, and go. Bit more work than just grabbing the nearest truck but this would be my pick if I had to have a family vehicle. I would start with a long bed frame though so it would have a slightly larger bed. (Build thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706190)

normal_HT0_0519.jpg

normal_P7130029.JPG

Or this 98 dodge dually with a ford crew cab body. (Build thread:http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864848)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
i like those ideas, but i think they are more than 6k. where are you located?

check these out

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1690720132.html 4 door cherokee with cummins $1900

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/1746362809.html - blazer with four wheel camper on it $3700

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1738551647.html - diesel sub $5250

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1749059913.html - 97 crew cab diesel chevy

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1742676465.html - 86 f350 crew cab 460 130,000 miles $6000

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
95-01 Explorer 4x4 with the 5.0L. They can be picked up for cheap now, good engine and transmission. Pull the AWD transfer case and swap in an old manual BW4406 transfer case, install aussie lockers front and rear and disconnect the sway bars off road. Build cheap/basic tube bumpers to help approach/departure angles and install longer rear shackles. 31s fit stock or 32-33" tires with minor mods. You would be surprised what it would do.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Forget the Cherokee and especially V8 grand cherokee.

You can get much larger vehicles with similar or better mileage. And I like the idea of a real frame vs the unibody construction

Some guys on Fullsizebonco.com have tuned their fullsize Bronco's to close to and even OVER 20mpg. You can fit 33's with no lift, they have a pretty stout drivetrain, and the 302 is one of if not the most reliable domestic gas engine available.
A bench seat was available, which opens up more room for kids, but does lose some storage.

They are plenty big enough for a family. I have three. Two in booster seats and one in a car seat.

If I were outside of the rust belt, I'd buy CHEAP (but no rust) and then use the rest of the budget for rebuilding components.
If you know people and shop around 6k should net you a rust free bronco, and leave enough left over for rebuilt axles, trans, and engine giving you a basically NEW truck.

Rot Box

Explorer
Click the link in my sig to see my $5k truck. Not for everyone but I really enjoy it. EDIT: I bought it for ~5K, but It's not for sale :)

DSC01255.jpg

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
We had a bronco when the kids were a little younger. Worked out great. WE miss that truck. They can be had with some sweet options. I got lucky, and got one with a 302, auto, 4.11s, and factory LSD diffs FRONT AND REAR. 9in rear, etc.... perfect truck. Sold it for MORE than I paid for it.

Another option, would be a military Blazer. diesel(not going to win any races, but, good mileage, and pretty reliable. can be had cheap.

The Wagoneer is something else you could look into, can be had cheap, V8 power, 4 doors, and Dana 44s.

Depending on what you choose for rubber, you're looking at at least 1 grand in tires. I managed to score some Dunlop MaxxTraction in 35 in, for 920 installed, with an alignment(which I knew I needed)....

It can be done, but, it will take some careful planning and shopping.

Chase

rot box is onthe right track with his truck. if i could have something like that for $5k i would be happy. on top of having a good all around rig, i could tow anything i ever needed to. nice truck

the chopped up sub and the dodge with the ford body are above my abilities. i do all my work in a buddies garage. so i cant really end up with a summer long project sitting in his garage. a week, maybe. months on end, no. i need something that i can drive and modify as i go.

i don't mind traveling for the right truck. but coclorado may be a bit far. i'd liek to limit my search to teh east coast if possible. there in lies the poblem with the rust. it's usually an option right off the lot around here. a little rust ont eh body wouldn' tbe bad, but not on the frame.

ya, i know. when i find my unicorn i'll get one for everybody else, too. thanks agian

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Of what you've shown, I'd go with one of the GMs. Good mileage and ride on the road. The IFS is the only real downer for offroad. It can servive easily if driven well. Sounds like fun,
Chas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles