02 ram 1500 lift options

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I need ideas for a buddy regarding a good lift on his truck. It has a tired suspension and is in need of some upgrades.

He wants to do a 2-3" lift and some 285s or the equivalent. I know there are several companies out there, but I wondered if anyone here can steer us in the right direction.

What lift/shocks do you have and how is it holding up so far? What should he steer clear of and why! It's a daily driver right now, but the hope is to turn it into a camping/expo rig soon.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Is it a 2wd or 4wd?

If 2wd, the only options in that range for a 2-3" suspension lift are some coil spacers and rear blocks (1-2"). At that point, he could fit a 315 with some minor rubbing.

If 4wd, he can crank the T-bars and fit 35's with mild rubbing on the front wheel well liners.

RCD makes a 4" I believe but its junk. The best suspension lift out there for the 2wd or 4wd is the Fabtech but they are 6". I've seen/had the best success with those. Only drawback is they are the most expensive and require mild trimming underneath.

This is all assuming he wants to go suspension. PA and Zone make 3" body lifts for the trucks that look really good. That paired with some rear wheel well liners and he has a solid looking truck. I've never heard of any issues with them yet.

For shocks, the sky is the limit for the rear. The Bilstein 5100's would be a good place to start. Anything in a white body is just junk or a waste of coin. As for the fronts, thats where things get more tricky. If he's 2wd, again 5100's would be good. If he's 4wd, he's going to have to do some serious measuring and research to find a shock to fit up there. Last I heard, Bilstein had something close but I sold my 1500 before I could get my hands on it.

Overall, not a lot of options for the 02-05 1500's. I could talk about them all day long and tell ya what works and doesn't. It all boils down to what kind of budget your buddy is willing to spend. They range from free to $3500 so find whats going to suite his needs and how hard he is going to be on is key.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Sorry, It's 4WD. He wants it to be a worth while lift but for the low end of the budget, the 3" seems to be the way to go.

I told him it would be better (IMHO) to go with Bilstein rather than Procomp or Rancho etc. Thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior