Camper shell ideas

muffin

Well I bought a fiberglass topper from my cousin for my 86 F350 4x4 Diesel that I'm planning on camping out of this summer and am looking for some help on ideas and where to find stuff. Currently I'm looking for some 12v lights and maybe a durable fan to put in it. I was thinking about one of those roof mounted ones like in an RV where they crank up and have a screen and stuff. I have fiberglass and fabricating experience but anyone know of a good place to find some of that stuff, also any additional ideas are welcome.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would have to suggest against cutting a hole in the roof for a vent. I think you will kick yourself later if it doesn't seal correctly....especially after a few years. You could use a small 12V fan, like something from a computer power supply, in the corner of the existing windows. With both windows open you could have a nice little cross breeze to cool things off at night.

I will be redoing my camper shell soon. While I like the sleeping platform I built for some things, I think it just takes up too much room. I am going to start over with just a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered in marine carpet on the floor of the bed. This will make it nice and flat for sleeping without using up a lot of space when I need to haul things in the back of the truck.

My best advise is to keep it as simple as possible.

dragogt

Adventurer
I would have to suggest against cutting a hole in the roof for a vent. I think you will kick yourself later if it doesn't seal correctly....especially after a few years. You could use a small 12V fan, like something from a computer power supply, in the corner of the existing windows. With both windows open you could have a nice little cross breeze to cool things off at night.

I will be redoing my camper shell soon. While I like the sleeping platform I built for some things, I think it just takes up too much room. I am going to start over with just a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered in marine carpet on the floor of the bed. This will make it nice and flat for sleeping without using up a lot of space when I need to haul things in the back of the truck.

I like this idea better, and https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=EBFA has a decent selection of fans and other goodies....

K.I.S.S. its the golden rule...

dragogt

Adventurer

I like this idea better, and https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=EBFA has a decent selection of fans and other goodies....

K.I.S.S. its the golden rule... :victory:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If you're going to go with a roof vent with a fan, the only one to get is a "fantastic fan" version. They move a lot of air and are very, very quiet.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
If you're going to go with a roof vent with a fan, the only one to get is a "fantastic fan" version. They move a lot of air and are very, very quiet.

x2. With an addition, add a dark or black covering over it. The Fantastic vents are great but when you're using it all night and the sun creeps over the mountains it always seems to shine right in through that vent! The cover will let you sleep a little longer!

Also check out their portable 12v fan. It really works well, is quiet and very well built. Between them you'll need goggles for all the air flying around your camper!! :Wow1:

muffin

Well the two biggest problems are 1. it's all black 2. there are not any side windows, just a slider up front and a hatch in the back, which is my main idea for using a roof vent. I'm not to worries about sealing, if you cut the hole the right size and use the proper adhesives for sealing it'll stick like skin to hot leather seats in the middle of summer. At work when I have to put headlight buckets in the semi's we use a special sealant stuff that glues the plastic to the fiberglass of the hood. I've been thinking a lot about making two sort of snaps that I can attatch a tarp to and make an awning out of and some sort of box for the inside to hold my loose stuff so it doesn't rattle around as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94