Unicat Americas International 7400

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over the fuel mileage.

If you took a 25,000 mile trip at 8 mpg, your fuel cost would be about $9500. At 12 mpg (my F350 with camper gets 13-14 unloaded), it's $6300.

Is $3K really that big a difference compared to the total budget of the trip? How long would it take to do a trip like that, two years? An extra $1500 a year?

Not including the vehicle, what is the total budget for a truck-based circumnavigation of the Americas?

Offtrack

Offtrack Traveler
bajajoaquin

You got it. Not much of a big deal in the big picture. 1 MPG now would be a bad deal, but 8 MPH is not at all that bad for that truck/EXC. The fun and places and things you would see would be well worth it. :wings:
I know folks that have spent 10K on a single vacation trip.

I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over the fuel mileage.

If you took a 25,000 mile trip at 8 mpg, your fuel cost would be about $9500. At 12 mpg (my F350 with camper gets 13-14 unloaded), it's $6300.

Is $3K really that big a difference compared to the total budget of the trip? How long would it take to do a trip like that, two years? An extra $1500 a year?
Exactly. A typical Class C with V10 gas engine gets ~8mpg and weighs 1/2 as much and can't even be compared to a Unicat as far as quality, durability, offroadability etc.
I got ~13 mpg in my 88 F350 with 4Wheel camper and all sorts of heavy mods like dual hydraulic winches, 325/85R16 tires etc. It weighed ~11000 lb and the camper wasn't the "lap of luxury"
Our U500 weighs 26-28K lb and gets >9mpg on the highway, even with 5.92 axle ratio and the frictional loss of portals, and 395/85R20s.
As far as ton-miles/gal, it does >120. Way better than a Prius or a Jetta diesel or 2011 F250 diesel. the only thing that could beat it on ton-mi/gal would be maybe a diesel hybrid; unobtainium in the US. Or else a 6X6 diesel Unicat which gets 5-6mpg but weighs 20-25 tons

Charlie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Autos in the big trucks, fuel tankers with autos and buses have worked very well for me. They preform super and will hold hill decents fine along with many advantages over a manual. One thing I like about the autos as you have a little less to mess with when your in a bad spot/bad road or heavy traffic and maneuvering, for me I can focus on driving more and less on clutch and shifting. Logged many miles in behind both types and behind the wheel of a Prevost motor coach/Marathon coach (bus). Its about 50K lbs and the 500 Hp Series 60 along with the 6 sp Allison world trans. Really works great and smooth, just not at all an expo rig, strictly a pavement queen, will get goofy on wet grass if your not careful and have the tag axle down.

Call me "old school" but I would much rather float gears. I have never had a problem weighing in at 80,000 pounds and being 75 feet long... the 7400 would be like driving a pick up truck to me...lol

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Call me "old school" but I would much rather float gears. I have never had a problem weighing in at 80,000 pounds and being 75 feet long... the 7400 would be like driving a pick up truck to me...lol

I was thinking that too!

Personally I find it easy to drive an 18 speed in heavy traffic. It really is not that different, but that is work and I am getting paid to do it, if I am there for fun then I do not want to fool with it all. Besides trying to teach my wife to drive an 18 spd is never going to happen. I have not managed to teach her to drive my CJ-7 in six years of trying, so never going to get her into a heavy truck unless it is auto. (which she said she would drive out on the roads if it is auto)

The mention above about gas prices etc. Another consideration is that this thing has a how many gallon tank??? Lets just assume that it is two 90 gallon tanks. Compare that to a pick up with a 50 gallon tank. How many more times will you have to stop for fuel with that pickup? How much time do you spend in the gas station every time you stop on a trip? Me, with a two year old, I am at least into it for 30 min, more likely an hour EVERY TIME I stop for fuel, so taking that into consideration, being able to save two-three hours on the travel day sounds wonderful to me.

I would still MUCH prefer one of the Unicat Volvos, or Mans. Those two trucks kick butt! sigh. I am going to have to move to a different country so I can buy a real truck someday.

HAVEN, Any idea where this thing is being sold, or just through the unicat site? The second hand site has one for $600K Not much of a mark down for a five year old truck. (plus the site sucks, I can not find more than just one photo of the thing...)

Brian

D

Deleted member 9101

I was thinking that too!

Personally I find it easy to drive an 18 speed in heavy traffic. It really is not that different, but that is work and I am getting paid to do it, if I am there for fun then I do not want to fool with it all. Besides trying to teach my wife to drive an 18 spd is never going to happen. I have not managed to teach her to drive my CJ-7 in six years of trying, so never going to get her into a heavy truck unless it is auto. (which she said she would drive out on the roads if it is auto)

The mention above about gas prices etc. Another consideration is that this thing has a how many gallon tank??? Lets just assume that it is two 90 gallon tanks. Compare that to a pick up with a 50 gallon tank. How many more times will you have to stop for fuel with that pickup? How much time do you spend in the gas station every time you stop on a trip? Me, with a two year old, I am at least into it for 30 min, more likely an hour EVERY TIME I stop for fuel, so taking that into consideration, being able to save two-three hours on the travel day sounds wonderful to me.

I would still MUCH prefer one of the Unicat Volvos, or Mans. Those two trucks kick butt! sigh. I am going to have to move to a different country so I can buy a real truck someday.

HAVEN, Any idea where this thing is being sold, or just through the unicat site? The second hand site has one for $600K Not much of a mark down for a five year old truck. (plus the site sucks, I can not find more than just one photo of the thing...)

Brian

18 gears in one of those trucks would be epic...especially if you had a good gearing in the rear end... think of being to actually exceed the speed limit on the high way...lol

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I was thinking that too!

Brian

Here you go:
http://www.unicat.net/de/pics/TC52comfort-2.html
http://www.unicat.net/de/pics/TC54pickupcomfort-2.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Avi Meyers of Unicat Americas lives in Palo Alto, CA. The Unicat on
International 7400 is usually in this vicinity. Here's a link to more photos
http://www.unicatamericas.com/photos_international.html

Avi also had Unicat build a camper on the smaller International MXT
chassis. Avi convinced International to sell him an MXT with a military
suspension, so the GVWR of the vehicle is much higher than the typical
MXT. I think the Unicat MXT is still available for sale.
http://www.unicatamericas.com/photos_amerigo_mxt.html

dzzz

.......Besides trying to teach my wife to drive an 18 spd is never going to happen.
Brian

I think about an emergency driver in an off road situation. Some people would freak out with a traditional manual.
I can see not wanting to pay for an autoshifting manual, but it does have a mode for every preference.

Avi's 2 Internationals do not have autoshifting manuals. They are traditional Allison 6 spd automatics, with torque converter, 6 spds, including double overdrive of 0.75 and 0.65 and 1st gear 3.51, but torque conv. ratio of 2.2-2.4:1.
My Unimog U500 (not for sale) has an autoshifting 8 spd, with no torque converter, a normal type clutch and ratios 9.57-0.736.
Incidentally the $600K truck has many valuable extras, including complete spare parts and just for example a sea water desalinization/water purifier unit.

Charlie

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Avi's 2 Internationals do not have autoshifting manuals. They are traditional Allison 6 spd automatics, with torque converter, 6 spds, including double overdrive of 0.75 and 0.65 and 1st gear 3.51, but torque conv. ratio of 2.2-2.4:1.
My Unimog U500 (not for sale) has an autoshifting 8 spd, with no torque converter, a normal type clutch and ratios 9.57-0.736.
Incidentally the $600K truck has many valuable extras, including complete spare parts and just for example a sea water desalinization/water purifier unit.

Charlie

Charlie:
I always wanted to ask you- Why did you get your mog in blue and not in white as most of the Unicats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier