Unicat Americas International 7400

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
In the USA it is just considered a motorhome. SO no, not here, however... MOST countries would require a commercial driver's license to be able to operate this thing despite being a motorhome.

Personally I would recommend getting a Class B CDL with AIR and PASSENGER endorsements just because it is easy to do, and you save yourself in the end if you should choose to travel outside the US.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 9101

In the USA it is just considered a motorhome. SO no, not here, however... MOST countries would require a commercial driver's license to be able to operate this thing despite being a motorhome.

Personally I would recommend getting a Class B CDL with AIR and PASSENGER endorsements just because it is easy to do, and you save yourself in the end if you should choose to travel outside the US.

Cheers

Class "A" would be far better. that way you are covered regardless of weight, length, and if you tow a trailer.

dzzz

I'm sure that some states are going to require a CDL driving any class 7 with air brakes, so it's a bit risky to drive without. Even with RV plates. Some countries may not recognize a CDL B as a CDL.

sooooooooo
The smart thing to do is to get a CDL A with the air brake endorsement. As I've pointed out before the difficulty in doing this varies greatly by state. In my state, if not operating a tractor-trailer, passing a CDL is not time consuming for someone with decent reading comprehension. The only other conservative alternative is to research the law in every state one will drive.

Getting in an accident with injuries and being ticketed for no CDL could be a serious problem. A copper looking at a class 7 truck, instead of a traditional heavy RV, is likely to write that ticket.

The only thing I can't do is pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs. That's a separate endorsement.

Beerman

The largest expense in getting a CDL is the driving exam. You will probably want to rent a truck and instructor to learn before you rent a truck to test as well.

Or you can go the route I did. I worked for a beer distributorship for 8 years and they paid for my CDL. I keep it just in case.

dzzz

The largest expense in getting a CDL is the driving exam. You will probably want to rent a truck and instructor to learn before you rent a truck to test as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. If someone has the truck and can practice the exam is mostly about stopping and backing precisely. Some states require school, mine does not. School is probably a couple thousand dollars.
While there is federal standardization of CDL, training requirements are a state decision.
It can be confusing. But for world travel with a heavy vehicle a CDL is the way to go. In the U.S. what is needed is dependent on the state issuing the license.
Anyway, it requires research before purchasing a heavier truck. For Americans the important thing to learn is the requirements of the state issuing the drivers liscense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier