pot and pans

damaged110

Observer
i have been using left over pots and pans from the kitchen but they take up allot or room. i started looking for replacements from msr and other compainies but they are just to small. looking for removable handles.
what are you guys using? pics or links please..

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I use the GSI Extreme Pot and Pan Set, Medium Size. Nested 2.0L and 3.0L pot, and two fry pans that double as lids for the pots. Removeable handle. Hard anodized aluminum non-stick. I think the pots are plenty large to cook with to feed 3-4 people.

I think the GSI Extreme is discontinued and replaced by the GSI Pinnacle.

Perhaps the GSI Pinnacle, Large Size may work for you. Also hard anodized aluminum non-stick. 5L and 3L pot, 9" fry pan, and lid/strainer combos.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/pinnacle_base_camper_large/camp_cookware/

Or the more economical, GSI Bugaboo, Large Size. This one is non-stick coated aluminum.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/bugaboo_base_camper_large/camp_cookware/

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Just bought a set of the GSI Bugaboo Camper set. Has a full set for four people and has a packed up size of 10"dia x 6.2" tall. It works great.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Perhaps the GSI Pinnacle, Large Size may work for you. Also hard anodized aluminum non-stick. 5L and 3L pot, 9" fry pan, and lid/strainer combos.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/pinnacle_base_camper_large/camp_cookware/

Or the more economical, GSI Bugaboo, Large Size. This one is non-stick coated aluminum.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/bugaboo_base_camper_large/camp_cookware/

I'm confused by the difference between those two. Aside from the "stuff sack that doubles as a sink" on the Pinnacle, the only difference I can see is on the description of the pan coating under "technology".

Confusingly, the Pinnacle uses "Teflon with Radiance technology", while the Bugaboo just says "non stick".

Is there a significant difference in the non-stick coatings? Maybe its more obvious if seen in person.

damaged110

Observer
i figured i would ask all of you. i was at rei this weekend and all they had were the small backpacker stuff i asked if they had any larger sets and the lady said this is all they had...i searched the sets mentioned above and found them at rei. serves me right i should have done a little more research first. i thought the people at rei would at least know there products.

paulj

Expedition Leader
What size of pots do you need? 2 qt, 3?

What kind of stove are you using?

How important is weight?

My favorite GSI pot is 10" aluminum dutch oven, which has a volume of about 3 qts. I use it at home, on the stove top and oven, and in camp with coals top and bottom. I don't use in camp with the stove, because my preferred camp stove is an alcohol one with integral windscreen and its own pots.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'm confused by the difference between those two. Aside from the "stuff sack that doubles as a sink" on the Pinnacle, the only difference I can see is on the description of the pan coating under "technology".

Confusingly, the Pinnacle uses "Teflon with Radiance technology", while the Bugaboo just says "non stick".

Is there a significant difference in the non-stick coatings? Maybe its more obvious if seen in person.

My friend's MSR non-stick pot set didn't last very long. The non-stick coating started to flake off after a couple of trips, I told myself that I'll get a brand that has a stronger coating. I got a good deal on the GSI Extreme (must of been during the phase out period and the incoming of the Pinnacle series).

Friends have noticed that the build on my GSI Extreme seem very durable when compared to their pot and pan set of various brands. So far so good. I even cook at home with my GSI Extreme pot and pan set regularly. I suppose it's my version of testing in preparation for my Alaska 2011 trip.

damaged110

Observer
i need a somewhat large set. two pots and at least on skillit. like i said when i was at rei all they said they had were the backpacker and hicker styles. those were just to small. looks like i am going to go with the bugaboo base camp cook set. these look to be the right size and are compact enough to fit in my action packer.
d83d796d-ce13-4fee-a2c9-723928c487ef.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
after seeing the snow peak stuff in action that is next on my buy list

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Just my $.02, but I think you guys are missing out if you don't take a closer look at this nesting set from Cuisinart. Less expensive than the largest Snow Peak set, larger pots in general, made with 18/10 stainless which is the highest grade stainless commonly used in cookware. The bottoms on these pots are a stainless/aluminium/stainless sandwhich construction that is about 1/4" thick - very good for fast and even heat dispersion across the bottom of the pot. If I didn't already have a kitchen full of All-Clad I'd be tempted to use this stuff at home.

They don't have bails like the Snow Peak set, which would be limiting if you planned to hang a pot over the fire. It's larger, so it will take a little more room to store, but I think having a 3.5 quart pot as my largest pot would be a little limiting anyway.

OK, they aren't made by an overlanding oriented company, but that's not on my list of criteria for cooking equipment.

I'll be quiet now.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Just my $.02, but I think you guys are missing out if you don't take a closer look at this nesting set from Cuisinart. Less expensive than the largest Snow Peak set, larger pots in general, made with 18/10 stainless which is the highest grade stainless commonly used in cookware. The bottoms on these pots are a stainless/aluminium/stainless sandwhich construction that is about 1/4" thick - very good for fast and even heat dispersion across the bottom of the pot. If I didn't already have a kitchen full of All-Clad I'd be tempted to use this stuff at home.

They don't have bails like the Snow Peak set, which would be limiting if you planned to hang a pot over the fire. It's larger, so it will take a little more room to store, but I think having a 3.5 quart pot as my largest pot would be a little limiting anyway.

OK, they aren't made by an overlanding oriented company, but that's not on my list of criteria for cooking equipment.

I'll be quiet now.

I'm fully in agreement with you...been through a ton of MSD/GSI/REI sets, and while those are great backpacking sets (still have a stainless and titanium set in my BP box), if you can handle the weight, real cooking pots/pans are 100x better, mostly for heat dispersion. I bring along a nice kitchenaid pan from the kitchen and it works great (except it makes the wife unhappy)...didn't know about the cuisinart set, gonna have to figure out how to come up w/$130 to but it :)

Momrocks

Adventurer
:iagree: x2 the Cuisinart nesting Cookware looks like a winner to me. When I camp longer than overnight, I like to use good grade cookware and silverware. I am not much of a Spork and Swiss Army Knife guy, I no longer backpack much. If it isn't suitable to use in the home, why compromise afield.

Hazzard

Observer
i figured i would ask all of you. i was at rei this weekend and all they had were the small backpacker stuff i asked if they had any larger sets and the lady said this is all they had...i searched the sets mentioned above and found them at rei. serves me right i should have done a little more research first. i thought the people at rei would at least know there products.

They don't usually carry the larger pot sets in their stores, most of it is only available online.

For cookware I started out with a MSR Black Lite Classic alum non-stick 2 pot set link . The coating didn't last very long and I later upgraded to this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/765750
1458590.jpg

Which is made by GSI, or at least it was when I bought it and it is identical to the REI one.

I am tired of using the non-stick alum for a number of reasons like health-saftey concern, uneven heating, ect.

This weekend I picked up the MSR Alpine 4 Pot set (still not sure where they get 4 pots, there are only three...) link. I got it at the used sporting goods store for 26 bucks and I am excited about using it. I like the fact that it is steel and I don't have to be gentle when cleaning it.
401120Lrg.jpg

It has bigger pots then my GSI and 3 skillets/plates. If you read the reviews on REI's website they talk about the Bar Keepers Friend cleaner, which made my used pots look brand new after cleaning.

If I am not traveling by backpack I also always bring my cast iron skillet and dutch oven. They are always a pleasure to cook with and IMO define bomb-proof cooking gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles