pot and pans

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Anyone have a height measurement of the Cuisinart set? Would like it to fit into my smallish action packer.

Somewhere between 8 5/8" and 8 3/4". That's without the canvas sack, which would probably add another 1/2". I used a tape measure, but that's a rough measurement.

rotti

Adventurer
Thanks for the measurement Marc.
The small action packer measures 10.5" high so it should be a good fit.

Xrunner

Explorer
Bumping up this old thread... has anyone found a good alternative now that the Cuisinart nesting set is tough to find? Is the Magma set still the next best option?

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been using the Cuisinart Kit for some years. Best I have found...

Cuisinart_Cook_Kit.jpg

Frenchman

Based on past reviews here, I looked high and low for a Cuisinart set but couldn't find one. Eventually I found the Stansport 7pc Stainless Steel Family Cook Set at a local Sportsman's Warehouse for about $60. It appears to be almost identical to the Cuisinart set, with the exception of a single heavy-duty plastic handle as opposed to the two stainless steel handles. However, you can order a second plastic handle from Stansport f0r $15. Very high quality & my wife loves it. You won't be disappointed! http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-dining/dp/B000HK50IU http://www.stansport.com/index.php/outdoor/cookware/stainless-steel/369.html

Woods

Explorer
I'm a big fan of teflon coated pots and pans for camping. Cleaning is much easier. Not cheap, but I stepped up an bought the Magma teflon nesting set. The Magma pots and pans are certainly top notch and will keep any gourmet chef happy on the trail (stainless, aluminum, stainless like the cuisnart). Looking at the design, I'd be surprised if the Magma and Cuisnart products aren't made at the same place.
Now, here's the concern. The brackets that hold the removable handles have some pretty sharp edges. Rattling around nested, the teflon would certainly get destroyed. I bought some heavy felt cloth and cut it to size for each pot. They pots fit into each other perfectly now. My trailers been through some pretty rough times and these pots and pans still look great.

Here's a link to the magma teflon set: http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Cookware/A10-365L/a10-365l.html

We have that Cuisinart nesting stainless steel set too which is really nice but in our case also overkill for short trips. For three of us on the go the large pots just never get used. If we were actually staying in place somewhere for several days or longer they'd make more sense.

We have a large non-stick fry pan (camping style with a folding handle) that gets most of the work, along with a titanium pot and a smaller secondary fry pan.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
My new Magma stainless steel 10-piece nesting cook set arrived last week. The 10-piece set includes three saucepans (1-1/2 quarts, 2 quarts, and 3 quarts), a lid that fits all three saucepans, a 5-quart stockpot, a 9-1/2-inch-diameter saute pan, a lid for the stockpot and saute pan, two removable handles, and a bungee storage cord to hold the nested pots together. When nested, the pots are about a 12 pound package that takes up a 1/2-cubic-foot of space.

The pots are allegedly made of 18-10 steel and feature aluminum cores to improve heat distribution. The removable handles attach/detach easily with only one hand and feel pretty sturdy, but there are a few degrees of play in the handles from side by side; not enough to causes difficulties or safety concerns but not rock solid either (granted, they are none the less better than many camping pot handles I've used). The fixed handles and attachment points for the removable handles appear to be welded as opposed to riveted or screwed. The set is advertised as being oven-safe, dishwasher-friendly and coming with a 1-year warranty. Apparently this set (and the non-stick version) won a number of awards from Practical Sailor magazine when they first came out.

I see them online new from around $160 to $200... which isn't expensive given it's a ten piece set when you compare against some of the nicer camping pots. Of course, while these nest like camping pots they are much heavier than the stuff you'd get from GSI, Snowpeak, MSR, etc. They are designed for boats and RVs, after all.

This is much nicer quality than I need, but it packs up reasonably small and the quality makes the wife happy (and that's a very important criterion!). I steered away from the Stansport and Texsport sets because the handles seemed to be a bit problematic and or fussy and they don't have a core of aluminum, copper or similar to assist with even heating. That said, I'm sure they do right by many people... but those people aren't the ones I sleep next to at night.

The padded-bottom Lodgegear carry bag for my 10-inch Dutch oven fits this set very well, so I'll probably pick up an extra one to haul this thing around with.

cookware-exploded.jpg

Good luck.

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
As a non-stick hater and serious home cook, when we got our camper, I bought 2-quart and 3-quart NSF saucepans with aluminum core base and lids from the local restaurant suppy, added a 9" cast iron skillet and dutch oven from my cast-iron collection, a 12" square close-mesh wire grill, and some stainless steel skewers. That's it. I don't think there is anything I will want to cook for 2-4 people that I can't do with that. Except for the dutch oven, the pans all fit under the sink. Oven lives in a corner of one of the storage bins.

For heat, we got the Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove -- dual 20K BTU burners and room for full-sized pots. It cooks great.

Crabs, shellfish, etc will get steamed in the dutch oven. It works pretty well for stir frying too, over a hot flame.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Grill em :)
We used to cook lobster over kiawe every day almost :)
I kinda dont like lobster ? Every day burnt me out n it :)

Without a large pot, how do I cook my lobster? (kinda a half serious question, how do I boil my lobster?!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior