Recommended engel wiring

wikid

Adventurer
Forgive me , since I know this has been covered, but, I can't seem to find the specific information through search.
I am looking for the recommended gauge wire for about a 20 to 25 ft run to power a typical frig like an Engel 45 . I know there was a suggestion to go heavier, to avoid voltage loss to maximize the efficiency . There is a small debate with some folks about what should be used. They said that 18 to 14 gauge is sufficient and recommended, by the charts, but I disagree. A few opinions please.?
I used a dedicated 10 for a 20ft run.
Thanks
Don

desertspeed

Adventurer
From the Engel website:

"But as a guide the 40 litre chest fridge / freezer (MT45F-S please refer to the chest category) is our most popular model the maximum current draw is only 2.5 amps on 12.8 volt"

Referencing an electrical chart, a 2.5 amp draw over 25 ' only needs 20 guage wire, 5 amps over 25' calls for 18 guage. Heck, even if you go up to 10 amps over 25', you only need 14 guage.

12 is overkill, but doesn't hurt anything. 16 guage would give plenty of cushion. That is what I used for my Waeco.

Edit** if you look at the stock cord that comes with the fridge, the insulation is very thick, which makes the wires look a lot heavier guage than they really are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94