HTC Evo 4G

alosix

Expedition Leader
This is the 5th Android phone in the stable so far (G1, MyTouch3g/ION, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Droid)..

All I can say is WOW.

The HTC sense UI is pretty decent. There's finally a pause button on a std lock screen for the music.

The camera is something else...

The 4.3" screen is huge.

If anyone is on Sprint and thinking about this thing I would definitely recommend it. If you have any questions shoot.

I think they will be available June 4th.

Jason

haven

Expedition Leader
I guess the first question is, How did you get an Evo 4G two weeks
ahead of everyone else?

Is there 4G service in your area? I liked the Clear 4G in Las Vegas,
but the infrastructure was not built out enough. The 4G service worked
OK in most places outdoors, but there was no service once you got
30 feet inside the hotels. I guess Sprint will have 3G service inside
buildings to fall back on.

Do you know if Sprint is charging extra for the mobile hot spot feature?

The Evo 4G is slightly longer and heavier than other smartphones. Is
that noticeable? Do you think it's an issue worth worrying about?

alosix

Expedition Leader
They gave them out on Day 2 of the Google IO conference :)

I've yet to see a 4g connection in the bay area, though the 3g seems stronger around here than both the Version Droid I've aquired and my standby t-mo droid phones.

They do plan on charging extra for the tethering. I'm not sure how much yet though.

The phone is BIG. Its not something I'd carry on my belt like my google ion. It honestly begs for a 5-7" screen now (thing the dell android phone that's about to come out).

It isn't as chunky as the droid though. The kickstand on the back is a nice touch for viewing movies. I managed to get it to play one of my ripped dvds without much of an issue. The size is about an iPhone with a protective case on it.

preacherman

Explorer
I played with one this weekend and it was the first phone I would consider if for some reason I had to give up my i-phone. I was impressed.

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
A little late, but just picked one up and this thing is awesome! This is my first phone like this and it is surprisingly easy to navigate and is pretty straight forward, who knows how awesome I could be if I read the manual. Oh, I am replying to this post with the phone.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
I picked up two of them. I'm the best dad ever!! :Wow1: Says the sales rep who couldn't get one till July.(he wanted to be adopted) Wife wanted to kill me. But. I'm used to that.

I've drooled over the Iphone, and I like the android software. I've been getting better at typing, and I've noticed I'm not texting while driving anymore since my physical keyboard is gone.. so I'm much safer and focused on the road.

The boy.. Well he's pumped.. I've found a few apps to help organize my life. Now I just need to get a iPad, with wifi so I can run it thru the phone (8 hotspot points for access).. No 4g here in Phx yet, but it does kick some serious butt in the 3g access compared to my 3g blackberry. I'm sure that has more to do with the phone processor than the signal strength..

I just wish they had a kid friendly way to block out the "crap" that they have on their store. Apple is getting points for this in my mind..

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a comparison of features, Evo 4G vs iPhone 4

Advantage iPhone 4
----------------------
--Thickness: iPhone 9.3 mm; Evo 12.7 mm
--Weight: iPhone 4.8oz, Evo 6oz
--Dual microphones (noise cancellation): iPhone yes; Evo no
--Gyroscope (game play): iPhone yes, Evo no
--Built in Storage: iPhone 16GB/32GB, Evo 440MB (but SD card slot)
--Wifi: iPhone 802.11n, Evo 802/11a/b/g
-- App store: iPhone 200K, Evo (Android) 50K

Apple claims the battery life of the iPhone 4 has improved, and lasts longer than the Evo 4. We'll have to wait for the iPhone 4 to be tested to verify. If the battery is low, the Evo battery can be replaced with a freshly charged one. The battery in the iPhone can't be removed.

Advantage Evo 4G
----------------------
--Display size: iPhone 3.5 in.; Evo 4.3 in.
--Front camera: iPhone VGA; Evo 1.3 mp
--HDMI out: iPhone no; Evo yes
--Kickstand: iPhone no; Evo yes
--Free Navigation: iPhone no; Evo yes
--Video chat: iPhone Wi-Fi only; Evo Wi-fi/3G/4G
--Mobile broadband support: iPhone 3G; Evo 3G/4G (WiMAX in some areas)
--Flash support: iPhone no; Evo Flash lite yes
--Tethering: iPhone yes, extra AT&T charge, Evo yes, no extra charge
--Wireless Hotspot: iPhone no; Evo yes, Sprint extra charge
--Replaceable battery: iPhone no, Evo yes
--Slot for Flash memory card: iPhone no, Evo yes
--FM Radio: iPhone no, Evo yes
--Speaker volume: iPhone loud, Evo louder

The Evo is very large for a phone. For some people this is a deal-breaker. For others (myself included) a little more space on the screen will be welcome for text entry and dialing the phone.

Features common to both phones
----------------------
--HD video recording: iPhone yes; Evo yes
--Processor: iPhone 1GHz A4, Evo Snapdragon 1GHz

Not clear if this is an advantage one way or the other
----------------------
--Display resolution: iPhone 960×640; Evo 800×480
--Rear camera: iPhone 5 MP; Evo 8 MP
--Multitasking: iPhone limited; Evo full
--Carrier: iPhone AT&T; Evo Sprint
--OS updates: iPhone via iTunes; Evo OTA

alosix

Expedition Leader
I think the app store may swing the other way once 2.2 gets pushed out to the Evo and they get the new web based app store out.

Searching for apps on a real computer and pushing it wirelessly through the cloud to the phone would make it a lot easier to find things. That's something that's still somewhat hard to do in an effective manner on any of the smart phones right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles