U bolt flip kit and shock mount skids

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Which rear axle is that? The M226 or is it another? That's probably a silly question but I'm not familiar enough with the Frontys to know.

davidshourd

Adventurer
those are some nice looking products, Are you going to order them? I am tempted to as well. must imagine these parts would work on our fronties. you have the M226 with your Nismo, right? that is the same axle I have, and should be the same the titans have. hummmm. I need to get some axle shims to rotate my axle a couple degrees, I feel like I am beating up my u joints with 4.5" of lift in the rear...MCM you have about that much lift in the back, right, have you had any u joint issues? do you have shims?

mcm4090

Explorer
the Titan has the M226. All nismo's and manual transmission frontiers have the M226. All other Frontiers have the C200K rear.

since one of mounts are bent I think I am going to just replace them with something stronger but if this would work on at frontier I think it would have prevented the damage I have right now.
This may work on the on the c200k also.

David I Only have 3" of lift in the rear. I have replaced all my u-joints with greasable joint.

davidshourd

Adventurer
the Titan has the M226. All nismo's and manual transmission frontiers have the M226. All other Frontiers have the C200K rear.

since one of mounts are bent I think I am going to just replace them with something stronger but if this would work on at frontier I think it would have prevented the damage I have right now.
This may work on the on the c200k also.

David I Only have 3" of lift in the rear. I have replaced all my u-joints with greasable joint.

I have seen some posts on clubfrontier about these greaseable joints. I think I will switch over as soon as powertrain warranty is up (60k right?). until then I will continue to let Nissan replace them. I think those axle shims (like 12*) would help a ton.

mitssan

Observer
I'm in the process of fixing my shock mounts too. I mangaed to bend mine the first week I wheeled it: don't I feel like a Gomer.

As soon as I bent my mounts I looked at them and thought: "it would have been so easy to have skid plated those!"

Now that I've been looking at the bent mount for two weeks I'm thinking I will re-locate both mounts to the rear of the axle. Have you considered doing the same? I've measured and the shock will clear the exhaust when re-located, however it will also put it very close to a big heat source, I don't know if this will be an issue?

I have 3.5" of rear lift (I'm thinking of ajusting it down to 3) on what is essentially a stock length of shock. I'm considering "shortening" the shock mounts which would move them level with the axle instead of below. By doing this I will in theory be increasing the amount of down travel while moving the mount into a less vulnerable position. Option 2 would be to run a longer shock to achieve more down travel, but that leaves the mount in a vulnerable postion. Both options run us into the problem of bottoming out the shocks so I still need to figure out the gemetry of this. In theory by raising the truck I have moved the location of maximum up travel (so I can lower my bump stops) but I don't know if this is true. This is one of the few cases where it seems to make sense to stick with a shorter shock.

The thing I noticed while under the truck measuring for my new mounts was the vulnerability of our shocks and ABS sensor wires. They sit on the front of the axle, not behing. At this time our goofy u-bolt setup and front mount shock actually protect these vulnerable and expensive parts. Have you considered adding any extra steel to protect these?

Hopefully my axle goes under the knife next week... If you start your tweaking befor then let us know, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Maurie

'09 Frontier Pro-4x

bigdog

Adventurer
those look really cool. I had to replace one early on too. Wish I knew about these then.

BTW - where did you find your u-joints?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles