Top Ramen Noodles...Yum, Yum

AZchris

Adventurer
I was jonesing some Ramen the other night, but didn't have any. So I picked up 4 bricks tonight, haha.

When I was in college I would add an egg, made it more filling. Cheapest meal ever.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Yesterday a guy at my work crunched up a brick of ramen into a can of clam chowder and then added a small tin of extra clams. It stunk pretty bad but he said it tasted ok and was really filling. He also said that it was good hunting food too because of lots of protein and fat also.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
My lunch today is a left over BBQ chicken breast (boneless, skinless of course).
One cup of mixed frozen veggies.
And one package of Thai Kitchen instant Rice noodle soup. Bangkok Curry flavor.
I like this product because I can throw away the chili oil package and just used the soup base. Of course I add some Sriracha chili sauce and a dash of Soy Sauce to finish it.
I eat this two or three times a week with whatever leftover meat we have. Sometime I even use tofu.

Attachments

• thk-047000.jpg
    thk-047000.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 15

swiss

After eating ramen I'm always left with half a bowl of flavored water...I now pack instant mashed potatoes. Mix accordingly with remaining water and I have a good filler to finish the meal. (one package of ramen doesn't always fully satisfy me, especially when on the move) So now you are left with flavored mashed potatoes, easy, lightweight, and goes a long way for me...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
When my son was in school, he invented his own after school "growing boy" ramen recipe. When I saw it I almost slapped him, but he said it was good. So I tried it. It was good.

cook two (yes TWO) bricks
drain the water
put in some oil (peanut, olive, butter...whatever)
dice up four (yes FOUR) hot dogs
half a can of beans (baked, black, pinto...whatever)
one spoonful (whatever size spoon is handy) of chili powder
couple of squirts of Tapatio
fry it for a while
share with a friend from school

afterward - pour the flavor packets on the dog's food - the dog likes that salty crap

There is also "The Italian Version" made with pepperoni (or any non-hotdog sausage really) and a bit of spaghetti sauce (but not too much, it's gotta be fried not watery).

Personally, I'm a fan of the ramen/tuna/frozen veggies soup, sometimes made with canned salmon instead of tuna.

Errant

Explorer
Funny that this thread popped back up, we were just talking about Ramen the other day. I have a small house in the mountains that I was letting my psuedo-adopted son live in for a year or so while getting his act together. It sat vacant for a while once he moved, and then my son and his girlfriend moved in while trying to finish college. My son opens up a cupboard and says, "What the heck is this??" Two shelves contained nothing but thousands of little Ramen seasoning packets. The bottom shelf was a gallon can of soy sauce, a gallon can of peanut oil, a giant container of pepper flakes, and another giant container of dried ranch mix. My guess would be that he had been living off Ramen ;)

Chili

Explorer
I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I love Ramen.. While in the Army I spent a year in Korea and that really did me in. I'm no expert chef and my recipe is much more simple that some I see but I like the following:

2 Packets of Ramen, 1 Beef, 1 Oriental (Manchurian brand)
1 Large Egg, Beaten
2/3 of a slice of kraft american cheese

Allow the noodles to boil for 2 minutes then stir in beaten egg (think egg drop soup) for the final minute. Empty flavor packets into bowl and pour about an inch of water from the pot. Drain remaining water from noodles / egg and put noodles and egg into bowl. Lay cheese slice on top for about a minute until it is melted then stir it all together.

I have been eating ramen this way since I was in Korea ('94 - '95).

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Slightly off topic, but its relevant to the last post.

Instead of an egg, as in a fresh egg, could this be done with powdered eggs? I've got a couple backpack trips planned for this summer and I don't really want to try to carry fresh eggs and risk having them break or go rotten so I'm going to be using powdered. I wonder if a guy made the equivalent of one fresh egg with the powdered substitute and stirred it in as you explained if it would still work the same way? I know that in egg drop soup the key is to constantly stir while you are slowly pouring the beaten eggs into the pot, so that would probably be the case with this too.

I might try that with Velveeta cheese since that doesn't require an Engle fridge in your back pack too.

Chili

Explorer
Slightly off topic, but its relevant to the last post.

Instead of an egg, as in a fresh egg, could this be done with powdered eggs? I've got a couple backpack trips planned for this summer and I don't really want to try to carry fresh eggs and risk having them break or go rotten so I'm going to be using powdered. I wonder if a guy made the equivalent of one fresh egg with the powdered substitute and stirred it in as you explained if it would still work the same way? I know that in egg drop soup the key is to constantly stir while you are slowly pouring the beaten eggs into the pot, so that would probably be the case with this too.

I might try that with Velveeta cheese since that doesn't require an Engle fridge in your back pack too.

I'm sure the cheese would work but I would try out the egg part at home before relying on it on a trip. Do those Egg Beaters have to be refridgerated? That could be a possible substitue if the powdered eggs don't work.

ywen

Explorer
Ramen noodle + Harmony House dehydrated vegetables + TVP (Textured Veggie Protein) + Hot Sauce = One awesome meal. Everything is dehydrated so will last the duration of any trip without need for refrigeration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles