Got The French Press...

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
for my birthday, now what ?
I looked to see if there was any info about "grinds" for the coffee, but couldn't find info here.
Do you folks buy your coffee from some where that has a "course" grind or do you grind your own ?
If so, I think I'll need to get a grinder now....

Matt

slooowr6

Explorer
You can grind your own at most supermarket or you can go to Starbucks and get a bag of coffee and they can grind it for you just tell them it's for French press. Once coffee is ground it'll go stale fast, some can notice some don't. It really depends on the individual. Start with that and see how you like it. To me the best brewing time is around 4mins, make sure the water is hot enough.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Oh ya, didn't even think of the grind your own at the store.
Well, I guess thats a good starting point...thanks.

Project510

Adventurer
Coarse is deff reccomended for a French Press.. not much else needed.

Target/amazon/wal-mart has a decent Mr. Coffee grinder for 12-14 bux has 3 grind settings, 4-12 cups. Works great for the casual coffe drinker. Grind before you leave for camp, just carry in a air tight container

AZchris

Adventurer
Enjoy. I started using a French Press about 5 years ago and its by far my favorite way to make coffee. :coffeedrink:

Mamontof

Explorer

will

Adventurer
If you really want a good manual grinder (for home - not camping) that will last, get a Zassenhaus. They're a bit expensive, but its nice to know that you can make coffee with a Volcano/Kelly kettle, the Zassenhaus grinder, and french press (which I have done and it's superb).

http://www.espressozone.com/zassenhaus-161dg-open-hopper-hand-coffee-grinder-Z_161DG.aspx

They even make a smaller one that's meant to be held between your knees. A friend of mine has one, and he says it doesn't work as well as the normal one.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I usually use the second coarsest grind on the machine in the grocery store. Most of the folgers and other stuff is a real fine grind for drip machines and whatnot. I forget the brand name of the coffee I buy, but the variety is called "Montana Ranch Blend", its real mild without the bitterness. The press I use is from Bodum, it is a personal size press that holds 12 ounces of water. Two level scoops of grounds plus 12 ounces of water at a boil for 4 minutes is perfect!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
If you really want a good manual grinder (for home - not camping) that will last, get a Zassenhaus. They're a bit expensive, but its nice to know that you can make coffee with a Volcano/Kelly kettle, the Zassenhaus grinder, and french press (which I have done and it's superb).

http://www.espressozone.com/zassenhaus-161dg-open-hopper-hand-coffee-grinder-Z_161DG.aspx

They even make a smaller one that's meant to be held between your knees. A friend of mine has one, and he says it doesn't work as well as the normal one.

That is my camp coffee setup. I have the contoured Zassenhaus grinder and I have no complaints. It is easy to use and the grind is consistent.

The one thing to remember about French press coffee is that coffee will get scorched from boiling water, so it's best to let the water come to a full boil and then let it rest for about a minute, which will let the temp drop down to about 205F.

7wt

Expedition Leader
*Dumb question alert*

I have a french press and haven't used it more than a couple of times because I am not really a coffee drinker. I want to learn how if for no other reason than to brew a good cup for fellow campers. I understand letting the boiled water sit a bit but I have no idea how much coffee to use and how much water. Can anyone give me a good staring point?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The general rule of thumb I use for making coffee with my french press is one level scoop of coffee per 6 ounces of water, sitting for 4 minutes before slowly pushing the plunger down. If you push too fast you may experience a phenomenon where the grounds will actually squirt past the plunger and be in the bottom of your cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior