LWB vs SWB, Which Is Better?

aikane

Observer
I would like your opinions on which is better and why. The choices are an 87 swb and an 89 lwb Monteros. The drivetrain differences will not matter as I will replace it anyway. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43367
I know the 89 lwb has coil springs in back and more room, but also more overhang in the back. Not to mention more weight and a longer body to turn around. What else can you come up with?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I prefer the LWB (I've had both). The 2 door just ends up being too small unless you buy and pack backpacker style.

As for the powerplant, unless you drive it like an SUV (i.e. expect it to accelerate like a car) the later 3.5L DOHC and even the later 3.5L SOHC engines are fine IMHO.

In terms of the drivetrain, the 94-2000 models with the 3.5L engines all have decent sized front difs (>8") and big rear diffs (9.5") and corresponding axles. I run 35's with this setup and a good friend of mine runs 37's (he upgraded to 4.9:1 r&p's) without any issues.

For a 2 door I suggest a v6 model as they will have the larger front and rear diffs (>8") and trailing arm suspensions versus leaf sprung suspensions.

You said you're swapping out the drivetrain? With what??

Justice R

Adventurer
I would like your opinions on which is better and why. The choices are an 87 swb and an 89 lwb Monteros. The drivetrain differences will not matter as I will replace it anyway. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43367
I know the 89 lwb has coil springs in back and more room, but also more overhang in the back. Not to mention more weight and a longer body to turn around. What else can you come up with?

Seems like you got it covered. SWB is more fun IMO it just feels sportier. LWB is more practical and you can fit more passengers and gear into it. It all depends on what you are going to use it for. The LWB is a lot more stable on steep climbs and is less likely to lift up the front end. While the SWB is easier to Maneuver through rock gardens and the like.

I couldnt decide either. Thats why I have both.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I'll agree with the preference for a LWB. While bigger than a SWB- they are still far from a large rig.

Cargo room does go pretty fast in a SWB. 2 person trips only. The LWB gives you room for extended trips with 2 or an extended weekend with the family.

aikane

Observer
I realize that the bottom line is if I want the extra room or not. That's a decision I have yet to make. I guess what I'm after is the differences between the two year models, physical size aside. Like I said, the 89 has the coil spring suspension, as opposed to the leafs on the 87. What else would the 89 lwb have over the 87 swb?:smiley_drive:

In response to "off-roader"s question, I intend to use a Toyota 5mge (out of a Cressida) bolted up to a Tacoma tranny/transfer case to maintain the proper front driveshaft drop.

Justice R

Adventurer

Seems like you got it covered. SWB is more fun IMO it just feels sportier. LWB is more practical and you can fit more passengers and gear into it. It all depends on what you are going to use it for. The LWB is a lot more stable on steep climbs and is less likely to lift up the front end. While the SWB is easier to Maneuver through rock gardens and the like.

I couldnt decide either. Thats why I have both.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
What has been mentioned is about it then.

SWB 4cyl has leafs. SWB V6 has coils. All the LWB have the coils and V6.
All the V6 models have bigger diffs, front and rear, that have lockers available. To my knowledge, the small (4cyl) front diff does not have a locker option at this time.

LWB has better brakes. Gen2 even better still. LWB tend to have more "goodies", such as power windows.

Other than that, it's just size related differences.

If your doing an Inline 6, and the Toyota trans and transfer case are on the long side, then you *might* run out of length for the rear driveshaft with a SWB.

aikane

Observer
If your doing an Inline 6, and the Toyota trans and transfer case are on the long side, then you *might* run out of length for the rear driveshaft with a SWB.
Anyone know the length of the Montero tranny/transfer case combo, from bellhousing to rear of transfer case? Thanks in advanced.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
All good reasons above...

If you are going to wheel a Montero/Pajero, you will inevitably lift wheels. Both shorty and limo versions have their strengths, but the lwb is much more predictable when going across diagonal ruts - the moment when you switch from left front in the air to right rear is much more graceful on a long wheelbase.... just thought I'd add that. On a shorty, its downright abrupt, and can scare you if you're not expecting it... :wings:

aikane

Observer
Choosing between swb and lwb is kinda like having the little angel on one shoulder and the little devil on the other. It makes more sense to go with the lwb, but somehow the swb just looks like more fun.:wings:
I've already got a lwb vehicle, 91 Toyota extra-cab (122" wheelbase), so I'm thinking the swb Monty might be the way to go. Thanks to all who chimed in with their opinions, it was really appreciated.:luxhello:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online