Interior "tailgate" mod?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just reading this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43986

Reminded me that as much as I appreciate the one-piece lift-gate on my 4runner, there are times when an honest-to-God tailgate can come in handy.

Has anyone here with a similar liftgate made an interior "tailgate" for this purpose? Seems to me it wouldn't be difficult, for one thing it doesn't have to protect against the elements since it would be interior. The issues would be (1) How to mount it securely to the inside of the vehicle (some kind of hinge or pivot mechanism - preferably one that is easily removable) and (2) where would you attach the cable supports to hold it up?

Also thinking about material - 3/4" plywood would probably work depending on how stout the hinges and supports were. I'm not sure I'd be sitting on the tailgate, but it would be nice to be able to use it as a stove/cooking platform. It would also make for an extended sleeping platform with the liftgate raised and some kind of awning or tent over the rear opening.

I can probably figure these things out on my own but I figure no sense in reinventing the wheel if someone's already done it...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I would make it as a cutting board, i.e. a sliding tray or surface enclosed in a thin box rather than a hinged design. Either use drawer slides or just use some hardwood runners for it to slide on. Less intrusive to other uses and minimal space consumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz