Automatic lockers

78Bronco

Explorer
I have driven with both LSD's and Detroits in the rear of unloaded and partially loaded F150's with V8's in the snow and ice. The south coast of BC doesn't see a lot of snow but when it does snow it's heavy/wet and usually a good dumping.

The old '78 F150 flatdeck had a detroit in it with 35" bfg MT's. We got a 12" dumping and at first the traction sucked, so I shovelled some snow on the deck and dropped the tire pressure 10 psi and violla I have traction again. Definetly having the auto trans helped to allow unloading of the drive line to disengage the Detroit and allow for easier steering on snow/ice. I made it everywhere just fine in 2wd and only really needed four wheel once or twice when creatively parking. If I felt the rear end starting to slide I took my foot out of it and it would stop sliding and I could hear the detroit disengage.

Same deal '96 F150 with a LSD, never had any issues with the rear end swinging out or understeering uncontrolably that couldn't be adjusted to or fixed by adding some weight and dropping pressure.

My 2004 F150 had great all terrain goodyear wranglers, lsd and a few hundred pounds in the back and it went up into the mountains just fine on completely unplowed snow covered highways the morning after a huge dump of snow. They closed down the main highway so I had to take the smaller back road type highways through the coastal mountains and had no problems in 2wd.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a locker or lsd. If the road is that slippery you are going to notice before any thing bad happens. Unless you drive a 90 Montero;)

RusM

Adventurer
4Runner with an Aussie Locker in the rear, no problems with it whatsoever. Pretty much un-noticable on the street with my driving style, hearing it click around slow speed corners and rarely thinking that my rear end exploded are totally worth the increased offroad performance!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I feel like there is already a lot of mis-information in this thread regarding automatic lockers. From my experience, almost every person I've talked to on the internet who badmouths auto lockers or says they are unsafe or unpredictable has never had one.

On my last truck (05 Explorer Sport Trac on 33s) I had front and rear Aussie lockers.
On my current truck (06 F150 on 35s) I have a Detroit locker in the rear and E-locker up front.
I have driven Jeeps with lock-rights and Detroits.

Every auto locker that I have driven operates virtually same from the driver's standpoint. It is always locked except the locker allows one side to turn faster than it is being driven (outside wheel). Drive a truck with an automatic locker and you will learn right away how much throttle you can use in a turn without it locking.

I have had trucks with limited slips and open differentials, and I can tell you that I found them both to be LESS predictable in rain/ice/snow or any condition really. You never know when both tires will spin or you will get the infamous one wheel peel. With an automatic locker, you always know what you are going to get based on what your right foot is doing. Period.

I prefer an automatic locker over anything else in snow and ice (I am referring to a rear axle for this point). Yes if you are heavy on the throttle it will kick the rear end out. However it is completely predictable and avoidable. Personally I stay on the throttle and counter-steer through any slides. But maneuvering in snow and ice without sliding is entirely possible, especially in 4x4.

In the front axle, an automatic locker is incredible off road. However it does kind of suck in the snow and ice. It is manageable, but it can be awkward. I found myself switching to 2wd often in the snow after I installed the front locker. I decided I wouldn't run another auto locker in front as long as I plan on driving in the snow regularly. The steering is tighter with a locker up front with 4x4 engaged. I didn't have any CV joint problems but I always kept a spare CV joint and gear oil in the truck. In the end I prefer a selectable locker up front. With a rear locker and 4x4, I rarely need a front locker. When it's not engaged, I have nice light steering and less strain on the drivetrain. When I need that little bit extra, I can just flip the switch.

Personally I love having an automatic locker in the rear for a DD and a weekend wheeler. On the road the power gets to the ground. No tire slippage. Driving around parking lots and intersections is smooth as long as I'm not mashing the throttle while I'm turning sharp.

Off road it is great. I did not want a selectable locker that is open when disengaged in my rear axle. I can think of several places where I would not want an open diff, but would not want to be "fully locked" either. Simply driving on gravel roads in the mounts even. An open diff will spin tires constantly (same on snow and ice). With a selectable locker engaged, you would be constantly tearing up the gravel on every tight turn whether coasting or on the throttle. The best part about an auto locker is that the traction is there when you need, and it unlocks when you need to maneuver in a tight spot. No need to constantly flip switches or spin tires. It just works.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz