G-force`s aluminium trailer build.

G-force

Adventurer
Hallo, everyone!!

I have been wanting to start this build for a couple of years now, but the finances have postponed it. The plans for this build have changed a bit as well, during this time, so this is as well partly to blame. I have gone from "4 pole lift system", to clam shell, to "4 pole lift system" wich is where i am today.

Spent some time looking for the right trailer as well, because the Norwegian government dont seem to like homebuilt trailers. But these last few weeks, i have had my eyes on an aluminium trailer.

So, i bought this:victory:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=17445918

For most of you, this is probably something you have never seen before:ylsmoke: Of the color, you probably guessed its former military. Its a weather station on wheels. More or less 100 percent aluminium, but the aksle and coupler, which is 50 mm ball hitch. This is the only standard allowed on civillian vehicles, here in Norway. Would like a Max coupler, but this is not an option.

The plan are as follows. Fridge on slides, kitchen sink and burner on slides, airtight compartment for portable toilet, dual Maxima batteries with 230 V charger, compartment for propan tank, airtank and 12 V compressor, large storage compartment on slides, compartment for chairs and table, 120 liters of water, propan water heater, queen size bed with proper matress, G-wagon roof, roofrack with Gordigear tent with extension tent, and awning for both G-wagon and trailer.

Still with me?:bike_rider:

There are more pictures to come, shortly. I have been stripping it down for now. There is a slight angle to the tounge, that needs straigtening out. A friend of mine is an exellent welder, and he is gonna handle the alu tig welding. New outher framing is to be added before i slam and bolt down 3/4 inch waterproof plywood for flooring.

The roof lift is gonna be either a small winch or by manual cranking. Suspesion is gonna be independant air with adjustable shocks.

So looking forward to get this build going!!

I`ll keep you posted.

Oh, and yeah, olmost forgot. Thanks to all of you, for your inspiration!! You just gotta dig all the sweet builds in here:elkgrin:

G-force

Adventurer
Some pics from what it looks like today.

Tilhengerjuni2010003.jpg

I have removed everything above the frame.

Tilhengerjuni2010004.jpg

I put everything i might need of parts, in the bag that came with the trailer.

Tilhengerjuni2010007.jpg

Two of these stabilizing legs is to be mounted underneath the back of the frame, to wind down for stability in camp.

Tilhengerjuni2010006.jpg

Two of these folding handles is to be mounted on the back, to easily be able to move the trailer without a vehicle.

Tilhengerjuni2010002.jpg

This came with the trailer. I dont know exactly what to use this for, but i have one idea:bike_rider: Paint some russian letters on the side, and place it on an island in the lokal fjord. I guess that would make a few headlines:wings:

I will keep you posted as i get to work on the trailer. As for now, i need to get my license plates, before i start modifying.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Kinda looks like an Imperial Scout Droid to me. Paint it black, add a few more arms and red lights! :)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
WOW..awesome frame...tons of possibilities there!!!!

Aluminum just opens up whole new doors, start off lighter, end up lighter

lots of luck with it, looking forward to seeing it evolve!

Pat

G-force

Adventurer
Ok . . .

So i pulled this out from underneath the snow today. Nothing has been done sence the pictures were taken, but that is all water under the bridge . . .

So the plans for the next few weeks is to get hold of the square aluminium 80 x 80 mm tubing, to use for straightening out the drawbar. It is set at an upwards angle, because it was ment to be pulled behind a bigger truck than mine. So the plans are to cut of the existing drawbar, and weld on a new one with fresh materials.

Some additional framing is to be welded on as well, for supporting the all new flooring, wich is going to be 150 x 245 cm.

As shown in the pictures, there are 2 stabilazing legs which are going to be welded underneath the frame. Both pointing rearward to each corner, from the center of the trailer. These i have another one of:sombrero:

The plan for this one, is a different sort og jockey wheel. Remove the "foot" of the leg, and swap it out for a trolley wheel that swivels. Mount it underneath from the center of the trailer, and pointing forward under the drawbar. This solution should solve the problem with "the rear door on the car, hitting the handle on the jockey wheel, when opening" :ylsmoke:

Pictures will come, as soon as i get hold of my welder . . . . . .:coffeedrink:

jjohnsonphx

Observer
Tilhengerjuni2010002.jpg

This came with the trailer. I dont know exactly what to use this for, but i have one idea:bike_rider: Paint some russian letters on the side, and place it on an island in the lokal fjord. I guess that would make a few headlines:wings:

Looks to be a microwave communications dish.

G-force

Adventurer
So here are a couple of drawings done in SketcUp. Its suppose to be both left and right side of the trailer, with all the drawers in the open position.

TilhengerV2hyrefrontmdekk.png

So what you can see in this drawing is from the front, drawer fro the portable toilet, one medium size utility drawer, the space for waterpump, airtank, gassbottle and levelcontrol for the airbags. All the way in the back there is room for the propane waterheater. above these drawers there is a long room for fishing rods and tentpoles. The tilt out compartment in the front is for chairs and a table. The red area is the mattress, wich is 200 by 120 cm.

TilhengerV2venstrebakmdekk.png

Here from the back, you can see from the rear is the drawer for the fridge, another medium size utility drawer and the kitchen drawer with worktop, sink, 3 burner stove, and 2 drawers for utensils. On this side there is olso the long compartment above the drawers. On this side it is for cups, glasses and other smaller itoms for the kitchen. At the back there is 2 very long drawers for luggage.

the roof is gonna be manually or power drilled up into "sleep" mode. Between the trailer and the roof, there is going to be some sort of ripstop tent fabric with some sort of windows and mosqito netting.

The roof is going to be fitted with the same type of roofrack as the pulling vehicle, my G-wagon. So as you lower the suspension and crank up the roof, the trailer and the G will be at the same top hight. This will be nice with the awning on both. There will be a Gordigear rooftent on the rear half of the rack, opening backwards. This comes with a drop down annex, wich will the serve the purpose of a changing room, space for extra beds or "innside" dining on a whet day.

This is the tent solution i am getting.

Takteltmedannex.jpg

Havent yet decided where to put the dual Maxima batteries, but it will come to me.

This is the dream, and for those who wait, there will some sort of reallity :elkgrin:

G-force

Adventurer
Ohhh, and i olmost forgot :sombrero:

I got hold of two of these, a few weeks ago.

Outdoorcases001.jpg

Outdoorcases002.jpg

And i am not talking about the girls. Those i have had fro a few years :ylsmoke:

Its the Outdoor cases!! They are huge, and whitout hinges, just latches. The tallest of my girls is about 110 cm tall, so you can guess the size. Inside the cases are 110 x 45 x 65 cm. Bottom and top are to separate completely. Large carrying handles i both ends, and a set of wheels at one end. Sweet!!

The plan is to have some extra waterproof rom, when needed. They are gonna look cool on the roofrack, in front of the RTT. May just be perfect for hauling firewood, extra clothing or something else needed to be held dry.

The prize, you ask?? About 80 $ a piece :wings:

I allready love them!!

By the way, the girls name are Pernille and Tiril, and they are so looking forward to trips with the trailer :bike_rider:

gasman

Adventurer
:Wow1: well i hope you at least put some food and water in those cases with the girls.
do think they will mind having to ride on the roof now ? i remember a trip from niagara to edmonton not that long ago with two little cranky kids . the optoin of throwing them on the roof would have been nice... just kidding good score on the cases

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles