G-force`s aluminium trailer build.

G-force

Adventurer
So we are doing it!!

A friend of mine i helping me with the TIG welding, because i cant handle it :ylsmoke: I do all the cutting and grinding, so im in there too. Got all the new parts tacked in, an olmost finished welded from the top of the trailer. Next time ill have the trailer chassi turned upside down to get to the areas that needs welds underneath.

This is how it looks so far.

Turtilhenger002.jpg

Turtilhenger001.jpg

Its nice to finally be in progress of the build :wings:

dags

Adventurer
Ohhh, and i olmost forgot :sombrero:

I got hold of two of these, a few weeks ago.

Outdoorcases001.jpg

Outdoorcases002.jpg

And i am not talking about the girls. Those i have had fro a few years :ylsmoke:

Its the Outdoor cases!! They are huge, and whitout hinges, just latches. The tallest of my girls is about 110 cm tall, so you can guess the size. Inside the cases are 110 x 45 x 65 cm. Bottom and top are to separate completely. Large carrying handles i both ends, and a set of wheels at one end. Sweet!!

The plan is to have some extra waterproof rom, when needed. They are gonna look cool on the roofrack, in front of the RTT. May just be perfect for hauling firewood, extra clothing or something else needed to be held dry.

The prize, you ask?? About 80 $ a piece :wings:

I allready love them!!

By the way, the girls name are Pernille and Tiril, and they are so looking forward to trips with the trailer :bike_rider:

Where did you get the boxes?

G-force

Adventurer
I bought them from a friend of mine, here in Norway. The Norwegian army makes use of these to carry rifles i them.

dags

Adventurer
ah, didn't notice you were in Norway - you'll have to post some pictures of your explorations in Norway

G-force

Adventurer
We`ll do!!

Going for a two week trip this summer. 3 cars in total, 2 of these again with trailer.

Some nice fishing close to the swedish border the first week, and the scenic route along the western coast back down again. There we round of the trip by joining several other G-wagon enthusiasts, for our annual yearly gathering.

Pictures will be taken, i promise!! :elkgrin:

G-force

Adventurer
So the floor is going in :sombrero:

The welding is finnished for now. Have some details left for later, but that is later in the prosess.

Got myself som brand new 9 mm weatherproof plywood, for the flooring. This ply is to be secured down by 50 riveted M6 hexnuts, with A2 quality M6 bolts trough the ply and into the rivets. Wondering if i should use some sort of bonding as well, but that is for later. Only doing mock up for now.

The ply cut into shape and pre drilled.

Turtilhenger010.jpg

The rivets are going in.

Turtilhenger009.jpg

Countersink the rivets underneath the ply.

Turtilhenger008.jpg

And countersink the screwheads as well.

Turtilhenger011.jpg

The A2 screws are ordered for arrival on friday, so thats when the ply is secured down for now. The awake observer will se there is half an inch missing on all sides of the ply. This is for the aluminium profile that bonds the floor to the walls of the box. The finnished box will follow the lines of the frame.

Slowly getting there :elkgrin:

Last edited:

G-force

Adventurer
So, the flooring is now bolted down, and the chase for placement of the dividing walls is about to begin . . . . .

Got the whole floor taped down in white paper, to get all the dimensions "down on paper" :ylsmoke: Its something else to draw in 1 to 1 scale.

Its looking like this at this moment.

IMG_6446.jpg

I do have som small issues regarding space and the different itoms that are to go into this trailer. But some fine adjustments and some movearounds should solve the different issues.

Progress is visible :elkgrin:

uk trailer guy

Observer
You're making some great progress and I really admire your attention to detail; countersink for the rivet heads under the ply floor - brilliant work.

Aluminium chassis, I'm very jealous! :)

G-force

Adventurer
Sooo, i don't know how to break this with you, fine people,

But i am back 😜

After a few years of storage life, the trailer have had its awakening again. My life has been missing something, between woork, family, friends and good times. And it feels a tiny bit fuller, with the trailer in the yard again 😃

Bought some new stuff, and the plan turned from hydraulic softtop, to a hard shell in one deal. Pics are coming, just need to get updated on how to dump them here 😂😂

G-force

Adventurer
So i bought this for 300 bucks :elkgrin:

It measures 190 cm long, 150 cm wide and a total of 135 cm tall. I am planning to build a base, 45 cm tall, to fit this top on, onto the trailer. And by extending th top, about 55 cm, it will fit like a glove.

Dont have sketchup on my computer these days, so no fancy drawings for now :sombrero:

image.jpg

The rear hatch goes all the way down, and the side hatches are the whole sides. Big air possibilities :)

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles