LED interior and exterior lights.

sapper

Adventurer
Okay what led lights are people using on thier vehicles.

I have a Rigid LED light bar that rocks on the front of my truck but I have used a number of LED lights purchased from the parts store or ebay with very mixed results.

I would like to find some good exterior floods/worklights for when I have the truck parked and some good lights for inside the bins on my canopy as well as inside the actual canopy.

sapper

Adventurer
Thanks for that link I just ordered a bunch of things from them to try.

I can't be the only one using LED's.

KMW

Range Rover classic and Series I Discovery (his 'n' hers). "Cool" white LED interior lamps. LEDs in the door and splash lamps, license plate, and the side blinkers on her Disco.

Purchased from "super bright LEDs". http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I did have one of the white "splash" lamp LEDs fail in the Rangie, but that may have been due to water ingress. We really like how the LED interior lamps look and the light they give; the license plate lamps really make the plates noticeable....and in the case of the Rangie classic, solve a typical Brit electrical mis-engineered bit (the original bulbs touched the plastic lens and burned it).

This doesn't answer your flood/worklight question, but I do think "super bright" handles other than just replacement bulbs.

sapper

Adventurer
Anyone try cheap flood lights and replace the bulb with an H3 replacement LED bulb?

I may have to try this and see the output is like.

AFSOC

Explorer
Anyone try cheap flood lights and replace the bulb with an H3 replacement LED bulb?

I may have to try this and see the output is like.

That is a really good idea. I have a single Hella 500 that I don't have use for, I may give this a try.

sapper

Adventurer
I have a new canopy coming for my truck which I want to have lots of light inside and outside on demand but I want it all LED for low power draw.

163_0912_14z+truck_shells_custom_beds_and_bodies_buyers_guide+raider_rcc.jpg

I also have a set of these (http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/tantrum/) which I have cut up to use inside the canopy and a 5M roll of LED strip lights I got off of ebay.

I also have been holding onto some hella mega beam LED lights that are bright but very pricy.

http://www.hellamarine.com/default.asp?a=5&t=5&View=FullStory&newsID=38

I also ordered some cold cathodes for under each cabinet door. Each one only draws .7 amps (1.4amps for the pair)

sapper

Adventurer
Well I got a chance to put in all my lights.

I used a variety of lights purchased from a bunch of sources to test them all and see how each was for use and ease of install as well as the output of light. All the lights are simple 2 wire install and all are on the same circuit.

Cold Cathode LED lights, normally used for car interior lighting that have a regulator that steps up the voltage after converting it to AC, very similar to HID lighting. The wires for the lights are very short from the regulator and are not reccomended to be lenghten.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Hella Marine Surface Mount Strip Lamp. These must be mounted using screws and have foam backing on them. They have a very thin profile and are easy to install if you can screw them in somewhere.

Vision-X Tantum Superwhite (rocklight strobe kit) I chose to only use the lights and not the strobe controller. It was cheaper per unit to buy the kit than each light. I will be using more later. These come with 3M backing tape to mount each pod and they can also be screwed threw as well. I did both having them on the back door.

Waterproof Cool White SMD 3528 Flexible Strip LED. These come with a 3M backing tape and you can cut them every 2 inches or so to make more lights as needed. I purchased a 5M roll of it for $30 on ebay. I may it into 4 seperate lights. They have pre soldered connection points that are labeled + and - for correct polarity.

I was very surprised with the outcome of all the lights. The best light was by far the SMD strips. They produce the most even light and most usable light. The Vision-X lights are the next best ones but still a bit disapointing to my standards. The cold cathodes are a bright light but they do not direct the light enough as they are a 360* light which is bright to look at but doesn't product the light I was hoping it would. The worst light was the Hella light. Very dim light and not even usable, it would only work in a VERY small space.

I have already ordered 2 more 5M rolls of the SMD lightstrip because I like it so much. I highly reccomend this strip lighting for anyone who needs extra lighting in thier trailer, under hood, over there camper counter. Very easy light to use and very will concealed.

I still have to do more cleanup.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

sapper

Adventurer
Some actual night shots.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I like to see in the dark, I think it comes from all the years in the military where there was no white light allowed.

Spur

Adventurer
Looks great! Thanks for the writeup. This helps me a lot. I'm going to pickup a roll of the SMD.

dzzz

Marine/Automotive Leds will last a lot longer than ebay specials. Cheap generic led assemblies are not designed to handle the voltage spikes of a battery/alternator/starter electrical system.

sapper's links are great, although I must be too old to understand strobing rock lights.

sapper

Adventurer
Marine/Automotive Leds will last a lot longer than ebay specials. Cheap generic led assemblies are not designed to handle the voltage spikes of a battery/alternator/starter electrical system.

sapper's links are great, although I must be too old to understand strobing rock lights.

All my lights are automotive or marine rated. The ebay stuff is mostly brand name units.

The strobing LED rock lights I used were just for the light pods themselves. Each they were $24 but as a unit with 8 light pods and controller it was $150. I cut the strobe controller out and just use the light pods because I have no need or desire for the strobe feature.

The light pods are fairly bright and even light with little shadow and they are mounted on the rear window frame facing down when the canopy is open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior