OME vs ICON / Radflo

RJB

I dont post much more of a lurker by nature but thought i could help out with this one as i have the Radlflo full set up on my v8 4runner. OME is a very good set up as i think is common Knowledge had it on my 3rd gen and was generally happy It can be a little harsh at higher speed and DD ( unloaded ) but economical and effective. That being said the the Radflo set up from overland warehouse is miles and miles better these guys took the time to tune the valving and spring rate for the 4runner and from speaking with my friend who builds Off road race trucks this is the key. It is spendy but i would do it again in a heart beat the comfort of the ride has to be experienced to be believed in any condition maybe not the best for rock crawling but in my case and i think most here that is not we are looking for. I was looking for lift and comfort loaded and unloaded and i am truly impressed. Hope this helps with your decision.

Russell

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Hey Russel,

Did you get the 2.5 Radflo Setup with 700lb coils up front? How much additional weight above stock does your v8 4runner carry? I was looking at that setup and I know the Overland Warehouse guys are a class act but I was thinking it would to stiff for my stock weight v6 4runner.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My Donahoes (Icons) have been great, still going strong almost 5 years later. Adjustability was never really a plus since I adjusted them once and theyve been good ever since.

BUT, if I had to do it again... I would just get the OME 886's and Dakars. They are excellent.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Good feedback guys, I am particularly interested on how long your ICON (or other high end coilovers lasted).
A little over three years and a ton of miles. They still look great with no corrosion on them but they have started to leak at the bottom. It's kinda expected though. In Connecticut, the weather swing from sumer to winter is pretty wide and happens relatively fast. Combine that with salted highways and a fair amount of offroad driving and it's no wonder they leak. After they leave my truck and get rebuilt, they will be good to go for the new owner who chooses to buy them.

shack

Adventurer
Good Info. As of right now, my percentage of on to off-road use is about 99% on and 1% off. I'm planning an expedition next year; Dallas -> Alaska. Not quite sure what I'll hit road wise in British Columbia.

What I want is something that will ride a bit softer, closer to stock. The Radflos are beginning to look better and better.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My suspension has 30-35k on it now. As mentioned 15k of that was a road trip down south where the truck was very heavy and roads were rather rough.

The only thing I don't like in my suspension is the rear leaves and I have air bags I don't like in the rear. I have a Deaver 8-pack leaf in the rear. It is not a bad spring but to soft for loads. Something with an overload spring in it or a big thick 11-pack leaf would be more suited to long distance travel where you are carrying a load. My rear shocks are the Icon remote res long travel and are great. I guess this was about an FJ though so coils in the rear....

I would consider doing the upper arms in front too if you plan to do hard work with the truck...and hard work includes rough roads for hundreds of miles in Alaska, Mexico or the good ole lower 48.

Dipodomys

Observer
I have the OME heavy duty setup on my 08 Tacoma double cab and am very pleased. Not at all harsh and much better than the "Offroad Package" that came stock on the truck in terms of ride, wheel travel, handling, and load capacity (especially load capacity).

I have no experience with the other option you are considering, and I don't know how an OME setup would compare on an FJ vs a Tacoma. I chose the OME for the simplicity, cost, and overall value. After two years running I am very pleased and believe I made the right choice.

I understand your challenge. Nobody likes to shell out big bucks and be disappointed with the results. Been there, done that. Good luck.

mcm4090

Explorer
Hey Russel,

Did you get the 2.5 Radflo Setup with 700lb coils up front? How much additional weight above stock does your v8 4runner carry? I was looking at that setup and I know the Overland Warehouse guys are a class act but I was thinking it would to stiff for my stock weight v6 4runner.

I would not touch radflo. People have been getting new coilovers that are low on charged, making noise or leaking right out of the box.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
FWIW- I don't know anyone who is waiting for their OMEs to wear out so they can switch to Icons or Sway-a-ways while it seems like I know at least 4 Toyota owners who want to ditch their adjustables for OMEs.

I bought into the hype and installed the pricey coilovers (SAWs) a few years ago. They performed great but I think I used the "adjust" feature exactly once. I sold them after 30K miles for the price of a new set of OMEs. I've had OME Nitros/886s for >6 months and will never go back.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I run OME/Dakars and am very happy with them. The main characteristics I was looking for are reliability, durability, and zero maintenance. I got what I payed for and I've done some mild rocks and wheeling (VA, PA, TN, KY, UT, CO, AZ), as well as some long distance overlanding over the last 2 years; there and back in the same vehicle.

You are looking for, "long term reliability and something I don't have to mess with." Sounds like similar key performance parameters - install OME/Dakars and you won't look back.

Good luck with what ever you decide and get out there and explore!

targa88

Explorer
Running OME mediums all around on my FJC - very satisfied.
Really don't need the adjustable feature. In terms of reliability less parts to potentially breakdown.
83,000kms and counting. No problems.
Not sure what the weight set up is on your rig - whether you will need the Heavies all around.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'll hop on the OME bandwagon :D

My first Tacoma now has over 150k on the OME suspension, different components have been upgraded and replaced over the years but many of the components are original, speaks volumes to me.

I tried 5+ different front coil/strut combos on my current Tacoma... I started with the OME's and ended up right back at the OME's too with zero intention to change things at this point, I've finally arrived.

That is not to say that I wouldn't be completely happy with some of the adjustable coil-overs out there but they really don't fair well to Utah's salty winters and I've pulled more off than I've put back on ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior