braided steel fuel line?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I did a motor swap in my jeep and i'm using a ~30" piece of rubber line between the external fuel pump and the fuel rail. When I get hot and shut it off for a few minutes, i'm getting vapor lock in the rubber line. i want to replace it with steel or braided steel. my fuel pump has a barbed fitting. i don't know what to call the fitting at the fuel rail? it's a 92 cherokee motor.

has anybody done custom fuel lines? can you get me started. what type of fittings do i need to use braided steel?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I did a motor swap in my jeep and i'm using a ~30" piece of rubber line between the external fuel pump and the fuel rail. When I get hot and shut it off for a few minutes, i'm getting vapor lock in the rubber line. i want to replace it with steel or braided steel. my fuel pump has a barbed fitting. i don't know what to call the fitting at the fuel rail? it's a 92 cherokee motor.

has anybody done custom fuel lines? can you get me started. what type of fittings do i need to use braided steel?

I just had a airline made from teflon at my local hose store. It was braided and good to 300+ degrees. Check out your local hydraulic hose repair store. I'll bet they can hook you up.

I don't think a steel braided line will prevent vapor lock. You could try wrapping it in insulation of some sort.

Charlie

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I don't think a steel braided line will prevent vapor lock. You could try wrapping it in insulation of some sort.

Charlie

i tried that with the rubber fuel line. maybe i need steel. does anyone know what the fitting at the fuel rail would be?

corax

Explorer
Last year I did a fuel ine repair and found this at Napa, probably not what you're looking for (this fit my 4runner tank) but they might have a parts look-up which will list what you need

100_3765.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
How old is the pump? It should be able to hold fuel pressure w/o running for more than a few minutes.

I'm assuming that with the mention of "rail" that we're talking EFI. The system should be holding injection pressure for much, much longer than it appears to be doing. Like coolant, fuel's boiling point goes up with pressure, which is part of the reason for holding the whole fuel supply system under pressure. To avoid exactly what is happening here. I would start with is the system holding pressure, and for how long?

Stainless braid is less of an insulator than is rubber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier