Uber Budget Lift

mitssan

Observer
I did a bad thing, I did a ghetto $34 lift using Jeep parts. It worked perfect! Here is why and how I did it.

My Frontier has a Old Man Emu lift. 1.5" up front (heavy springs) and 2" rear (military leaf).

At Gone Moab my truck performed well enough, but it's long wheel base, and low back end meant that it scraped everywhere. I also managed to bend a shock mount directly into the rear axle (Metal Masher lived up to it's name).

I don't really have the budget to do any more mods this season, but I do need to fix the shock mount and I do have PRG shackels sitting on myshelf. To make a long storey short, if I'm going to fix the shock mount I might as well re-locate it so it is in a safer location, which means I might as well design it for the shackle lift (allowing more rear down travel). It will cost almost the same to modify as it will to repair.

To balance out the rear lift I needed a bit more lift in the front, but I didn't have the budget to do a propper set of coilovers/UCA.

So my mod:
It's my understanding that factory CVs can take up to a 2.5" lift (over stock). I wanted to add another inch to my 1.5" lift to maximize my potential (totallying 2.5"). There are no 1" spacers available. Yes I could build one, but then I would have the dreaded coil bucket contact. I considered weliding a taller shock bracket on the lower control arm, but that would still create spring bucket contact. I instead I decided to go the ghetto way. I would put a spacer within the shock/coil assembly. I went to my local 4x4 shop and picked up some 3/4" spacers for a Jeep TJ. I cut the spacer so that it could follow the contour of the spring purch (on the shock) and the spring. This would keep the total uncompressed height of the assembly the same, avoiding spring bucket contact.

It took about 4 hours to install the lift on both sides (most of that time had to do with my crappy spring compressors). Actually it took 3 hours for the first side, 45 minutes for the other.
I then installed my shackels (easiest mod ever, 45 minutes for both sides).

After the install I re-measured the height of the truck and it is sitting 1" higher than before (1.5" in the back). That brings my total lift to 2.5". This spacer mod is short term, only to get me to next years wheeling budget (coilovers and UCA). The truck rides and drives the same. Although the lift does increase pre-load on the spring (since the lift sits within the coil assembly), once there is load on the suspension the pre-load is no longer a factor (meaning it rides the same). In theory I have lost a bit of up travel, I have yet to trail test this. Since the truck is IFS there is no way to gain down travel (without changing control arms); however I guess I have lost a bit because the truck is sitting higher in the suspension (no different then any other lift).

This lift would (in theory) work for old saggy springs, or if you want a super budget leveling kit. The TJ spacers also came in 2".

So now that my truck is at it's final height it's time to re-design my rear shock mounts. I'm going to locate them higher (so they don't hang down) and locate both of them on the back of the axle (where they are much safer). This will increase the amount of down travel. I'll have to watch the up travel very closely so that I don't bottom out the shocks. I will also need to lengthen the ABS and e-locker wiring. This only takes some spare wire and some solder so I'm not too worried about that.

I usually don't like doing things the ghetto way, but my want to fix my shock mount correctly, yet on a limited budget, I didn't really have a choice.

Pictures of both mods to follow... along with adding some shots to the Gone Moab pics thread.

Cheers

Maurie

mcm4090

Explorer
So now that my truck is at it's final height it's time to re-design my rear shock mounts. I'm going to locate them higher (so they don't hang down) and locate both of them on the back of the axle (where they are much safer). This will increase the amount of down travel. I'll have to watch the up travel very closely so that I don't bottom out the shocks. I will also need to lengthen the ABS and e-locker wiring. This only takes some spare wire and some solder so I'm not too worried about that.

Ruff Stuff makes a replace shock bracket for a 3" tube axle.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=49&type=jpg

This would be astronger mount and also move the shock mount closer to the axle.

Here is the link. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/paired-bracket-curved-p-97.html

mitssan

Observer
Those mounts look great! I have a ton of 3/16" material left over from my skid plates, however that looks 1/4". Hmmm, maybe I shoudl go 1/4".
At $20 for the pair plus shipping I think I'm just going to make my own, but it is cool that I coudl just buy them and weld them on. The key will be making sure to not warp or overheat anything when they get attached

Questions: Since I want to retain the same shocks, and I'm raising whre they sit on the axle, should I lower my bump stops to make sue I don't bottom out my shocks?

Maurie

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I'd like to see what you do for the shock mount, Maurie. Mine aren't as bent as yours, but I have been thinking about getting them moved up.

Good to meet you in Moab!

mitssan

Observer
I'd like to see what you do for the shock mount, Maurie. Mine aren't as bent as yours, but I have been thinking about getting them moved up.

Good to meet you in Moab!

Good meetin you too', Moab was a blast. I've gone a little crazy since then... Tonight I lengthened all my ABS and E-locker lines. As soon as I get the shock mounts figured you I'll get some pics going. I just started looking at the Moab pics. Still sorting. I have a couple nice ones of a storm gray Fronty.

Maurie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles