Volcano II vs Cobb

matt s

Explorer
My buddy brought along the cobb grill on our last trip and let me just say it cooked a mean steak with something like 5 or 6 brickets. Coals lit fast and we used it for Dinner, lunches and even did bacon on it one morning. I was very impressed to say the least.

Locally I cannot find one, but did stumble across the Volcano II for around the same price point as I see the cobb online.

Anyone have experience with both? Both are given good marks by users, but I have seen no comparison evaluations.

Looking at the Volcano it seemed more involved (moving parts like the leg stands etc.) and heavy than the cobb. The cobb does not pack down quite as small though.

The propane availability on the Volcano is nice I suppose, but certainly not why I would choose one over the other. This is about charcoal grilling for me.

Let me know, as I am wildly dropping hints around the house for my birthday next month.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
they are different animals with the cobb being able to cook like an oven and the volcano is really just a grill.
i think if your interested in something like that the cobb is really the better way to go, more versatile i think.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Volcano sent us a stove to try out about a month ago. Here's my thoughts:

It's really slick. It truly does pop open and fold closed in a single motion. Getting out of the bag and ready for charcoal takes about 5 seconds. Getting it ready for wood takes 1 second, but fitting it out for propane takes a few minutes. At first I thought it was too small, but having used it a few times, the size is perfect for stowing in a overland rig. My one nit-pick would be with the durability of the steel. If you bang it around in the bag, even just a tad, the rounded shape of the stove becomes less round. It bends easy enough to get bent in and out of shape.

Seems like a nice product.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I've been using my volcano II for quite a while now. I now carry it on it's side in the Horizon and I know it must bounce around back there. It is still round and still deploys/ stows quickly without issue.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't have any experience with the Cobb grill.

I have, however, been very happy with the VII grill.

targa88

Explorer
No experience with Volcano. However, have been running the Cobb for almost 2 years. Works great. Very versatile (different configurations: griddle, fry pan, grill, wok).
Maybe not the fasten gun in the west - but cooks a lot with little fuel

Binder Lou

Observer
I've had a Volcano II for a few years. I've grilled on it, set a Dutch oven in it and put a wok on top of it. When finished cooking I drop pieces of oak into it and have a nice warming fire. It sets up and collapses with ease and stores nicely in its nylon bag. It is a simply perfect design and excellent quality.

matt s

Explorer
Hmmm lots of positive thoughts for both units.

Now I am really stuck! I think I am going to talk my buddy who has the cobb to come look at the volcano with me and we can compare the two. I wonder if the store would mind if we brought the cobb in to set it side by side???

farrdg

Interesting question, I have been looking at both as well. I really like the versatility of the Volcano 2. Cooking on it with a dutch oven or in using it as a small raised fire pit is a big plus, not to mention the easy clean up and storage size. The Cobb sounds great too since it uses less fuel, can be used for baking, but cannot be used as a fire pit. I would really like to hear your comparison of the two if you get a chance. I like to use charcoal or wood for simplicity and that great taste.

Errant

Explorer
I picked up a Cobb at a garage sale last year, NIB with all the accessories. Very neat little grill! Sadly, I don't really use it much at charcoal fires are almost always banned unless in a designated campground fire ring (and if can build a fire, I've no use for a grill).

I've also looked at the Volcano and thought it would be cool to have, but again, doubt that I would be able to get a whole lot of use out it.

F5driver

Adventurer
I picked up a Volcano II last month. For a lid I'm using one of an old Kingsford grill which really helps. I'm very happy with this setup.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Its too bad there isn't a propane option for the Cobb. I saw an infomercial about one but can't remember/find it now.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I grew up using the original Volcano for cooking with dutch ovens. Recently I was given a used Volcano II, well actually the Camp Chef 'Lift-N-Grill' (same design but sold by Camp Chef). I really like the design and how easy the setup and take down is. It has been great so far. I used it this past weekend as a fire pit for roasting my Camp Jalapeño Poppers!

DSCF1008%20blog.jpg

I will be doing a full review of the design some time in August for my blog, so stay tuned for that!

Also, Volcano Grills has come out with their 'Volcano Lid' to help with cooking. I don't know how well it works, but looks like a simple and light weight solution.
http://volcanogrills.com/affiliate/volcano-accessories/lid.html

volcano_lid_stove_600x600.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I just used my Volcano II for the first time this weekend using wood as the fuel. I give it a complete fail.

I clearly read in the instruction booklet the Volcano II is capable of "small wood fires" and overloading it would void the warranty. Well understood. So, we only filled it with a small pile of sticks. Wouldn't you know it - the enamel paint melted right off the top 1/3rd of the stove. The paint also bubbled on the bottom and folding it closed after wasn't so easy.

I give it a complete fail as a product. Boooooo. Plus, the quality was less than stellar in my opinion.

Errant

Explorer
That's a bummer. It would be completely worthless to me if you can't burn wood in it. What kind of sticks were you using?

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I would give them a call and see if they can explain this. Perhaps they had paint problems and can send you a new one.

Prior to being given to me, my uncle used it a bunch with charcoals and dutch ovens. I have since used it with small amounts of firewood without any problems.

Was your fire directly on the bottom, or on the inner grate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles